The master is a very overrated movie

I mentioned the great acting and production, but what about how there was basically no progression in the story.
Story is different from plot, and sometimes when you follow plot over story you might be left with just people sitting or standing in rooms or outside, occasionally talking and grimacing. Plot is not the same as action sequences, but mentally does afford you more story beats to create the ebb and flow narrative. You feel like more is happening, with more plot.

Story is more nebulous when filtered through description this way, but it's the way it hits you beyond the sum of its parts.

But the story never went anywhere
It's a story about how guy with PTSD becomes friends with cult leader and
how they eventually drift apart because the cult leader gets more and more entangled with his ambition while the PTSD-guy actually heals up.

I had to google it as I’ve never heard of it before. Apparently it bombed at the box office.

I don't think this movie is rated that highly by a lot of people. So it's definitely not vastly overrated or even overrated. Also The Master has only a 7.2 rating on IMDB.

Maybe the acting could be considered overrated. But I think the praise on the acting is warranted for what it is.

I don't think this movie is rated that highly by a lot of people. So it's definitely not vastly overrated or even overrated. Also The Master has only a 7.2 rating on IMDB.

Maybe the acting could be considered overrated. But I think the praise on the acting is warranted for what it is.

it's 85% on Metacritic, also check the critical reception on the wikipedia page.

It's a story about how guy with PTSD becomes friends with cult leader and
how they eventually drift apart because the cult leader gets more and more entangled with his ambition while the PTSD-guy actually heals up.

Pretty much and I don't really see how introducing a more complex plot would help tell that story, quite the reverse it would potentially hinder it.

I spose though that does tend to represent the biggest divide in cinema, films driven by plot and those which arent. Some preffer the former and are less tolerant of the latter, others the reverse.

To me most of Nolans films(bar Dunkirk) feel like their over plotted to the degree it obscures their drama.

Is that the one about the dog walker who keeps euthanizing all the dogs he walks and replacing them with other dogs that are trained to indoctrinate their owners with a communist agenda?

Shane Gillis talks about how great it is so I watched 5 minutes of it last weekend and determined I wasn't in the mood for whatever was about to happen

Pretty much and I don't really see how introducing a more complex plot would help tell that story, quite the reverse it would potentially hinder it.

I spose though that does tend to represent the biggest divide in cinema, films driven by plot and those which arent. Some preffer the former and are less tolerant of the latter, others the reverse.

To me most of Nolans films(bar Dunkirk) feel like their over plotted to the degree it obscures their drama.
Yeah. I personally often dislike plot driven movies but love great stories. Twists as driving force of a movie (The Hateful Eight) are vastly inferior technique compared to dramatic endings that give the story whole new perspective (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). I hate plots that spam distraction (Tenet) but love innovative means of getting you hooked and invested on a story (Memento).

Yeah. I personally often dislike plot driven movies but love great stories. Twists as driving force of a movie (The Hateful Eight) are vastly inferior technique compared to dramatic endings that give the story whole new perspective (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). I hate plots that spam distraction (Tenet) but love innovative means of getting you hooked and invested on a story (Memento).

To be fair I think the Hateful Eight does a pretty good job at combining the two aspects, it builds atmosphere and character very well rather than just depending on the tension of its plot.

Yup. PTA got lost up his own ass with this one, and it appears he's never found his way out since.

I still get the theme song in my head to this day anytime someone uses the word "master."

I think of the overused plot in kung fu flicks. The main character's master gets killed by the villain, they get their ass kicked, and they go on a journey to exact revenge. There's always that one scene. "Noooo, Master!"

To be fair I think the Hateful Eight does a pretty good job at combining the two aspects, it builds atmosphere and character very well rather than just depending on the tension of its plot.
Fair enough! The movie does not fail because of the plot, but still has maybe lower ceiling because of it.

Last edited:
Loved this movie. Phoenix gave one of the best acting performances I've ever seen. Better than the joker.

Never saw the movie, but give this a try
61eZbXdndSL._SL1075_.jpg
Sho Kosugi is the OG ninja.

Nah, I'd say it's so good, it's downright haunting. I only saw that one once, years ago, & I still think about it from time to time

PTA never makes a dud, his flicks range from worth watching, to classics

It was voted the 24th greatest film of the 21st century by 177 critics from around the world.
I mean ffs people that's just insane.

Back