The master is a very overrated movie

what-wut

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So I just watched the movie, which I thought was well acted and was well produced in terms of cinematography.

But the story never went anywhere and the movie felt kinda pointless. So I go to check out the reviews and all these crtics are going crazy over the movie.

What say you sherbros, am I missing something here?

read Dianetics & get back to us you pleb

Never saw the movie, but give this a try
61eZbXdndSL._SL1075_.jpg

Last edited:
Oh definitely not one of the best in PTA's canon. There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights in and of themselves trounce it as overall works in my opinion.

But it's an acting and style master class in my opinion. The technical abilities of PTA and his crew are fully exhibited and Joaquin and Phillip Seymour Hoffman absolutely tear it up so while I do not really find it a movie I'd like to sit and watch from beginning to end again, there are multiple scenes that I will revisit because the acting is so high level.

This is just phenomenal acting by both. Completely immersed and committed to the characters and the action of the scene.

The way that PSH goes from composed and confident here to rattled and angry is something to behold. Tremendous.

It might be useful coursework if you’re an acting student, but as actual moviegoing entertainment it sucked

I thought it was okay, but ended up talking about it for soo long after that I ended up loving it... It kind of grew on me, though i've not seen it since it came out.

As others have stated...
Great acting
Good production values
Meh story

I wouldn’t call it overrated. It never got much hype or excitement. It’s not typically ranked among the better PTA movies. I don’t remember the reviews being especially fawning then or now. If I ever hear The Master mentioned it’s in regards to the performances in it, which were great.

I like it

I wouldn’t call it overrated. It never got much hype or excitement. It’s not typically ranked among the better PTA movies. I don’t remember the reviews being especially fawning then or now. If I ever hear The Master mentioned it’s in regards to the performances in it, which were great.

I like it

Yeah I think it was very well received critically but the great deal of focus was on the acting. And, even more specifically, on Joaquin because he came back out of the self-imposed obscurity of that dumb mockumentary he and Casey did (other than the amazing Letterman interview that whole thing seemed like a waste) and knocked the performance out of the park, delivering probably his best work to that point (and he was already highly accomplished and twice nominated for Oscars at the time).

It's one of those movies where the story is the character development itself.

IMO one of the best movies of the decade, btw.

It's one of those movies where the story is the character development itself.

IMO one of the best movies of the decade, btw.
Absolutely! My current favourite PTA movie. So much depth.

Back