• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The limitations of the MCU brought to you by.....

Even though their movies typically follow the same forumela

They have a WIDE history of content to grab and each movie feels unique

One movie could be about a wizzard with a time stone or a woman from space or a purple dude fighting them all

All sorts of different things

Remember Civil War? That was like a fuckin epic spy movie

Far range vs very limited range in most Star Wars movies

We're really feeling the wear and tear in this new trilogy
The RLM guys hit the nail on the head that instead of expanding the SW universe has been contracting. Everything has to tie back to the skywalkers or vader or the empire. Supposedly hundreds of planets and advanced civilizations but let's keep following the same ten people.

{<hhh]

The MCU in fact became much better when Feige threatened to quit over Ike Perlmutter and then Bob Iger decided to back Feige instead. After that Feige only reported to Bob Iger and Perlmutter was removed from the equation.

If you look at all the box office numbers the movies made much more money after the split and you go more diverse movies

Things like Thor Rag. never would’ve happened with Ike still in the picture

The MCU in fact became much better when Feige threatened to quit over Ike Perlmutter and then Bob Iger decided to back Feige instead. After that Feige only reported to Bob Iger and Perlmutter was removed from the equation.

If you look at all the box office numbers the movies made much more money after the split and you go more diverse movies

Things like Thor Rag. never would’ve happened with Ike still in the picture
Thor Ragnarok is such a good goddamn movie. Didn't get to see it in theaters as I was busy at the time, but I've watched it at least a half dozen times on Netflix. One of the best MCU movies imo.

Never thought Marvel of all people would completely trash star wars. The MCU are THE blockbusters of our generation, and in a few years when the disappointment dies down nobody will even talk about this trilogy anymore. Just like the prequels.

Unless I read that SW 9 ends with Rey wearing the Gold Bikini as she's raped by Palpatine while he asks her, "Who's your Emperor now, bitch! WHO'S YOUR MOTHERFUCKING EMPEROR!!" then I won't be watching it in the cinema:)

Oh, and while the Prequels were vastly inferior to the OG Trilogy, Revenge of the Sith shits Bantha-sized turds all over Force Awakens and Last Jedi:rolleyes:

Unless I read that SW 9 ends with Rey wearing the Gold Bikini as she's raped by Palpatine while he asks her, "Who's your Emperor now, bitch! WHO'S YOUR MOTHERFUCKING EMPEROR!!" then I won't be watching it in the cinema:)

Oh, and while the Prequels were vastly inferior to the OG Trilogy, Revenge of the Sith shits Bantha-sized turds all over Force Awakens and Last Jedi:rolleyes:
Yeah ROTS was at least entertaining in parts. No interest at all in seeing part 9. The final movie and we have no idea wtf is going on with the story.

Yeah ROTS was at least entertaining in parts. No interest at all in seeing part 9. The final movie and we have no idea wtf is going on with the story.

Revenge had,

- Obi Wan and Anakin vs Count Dooku. Bonus points of course for Dooku being played by Christopher fucking Lee himself. The look on his face in response to Palpatine saying this,

"Good Anakin! Now kill him!"

is fucking priceless.

- Obi Wan vs General Grevious is cool AF. Complete with Bond One-Liner from Obi-Wan after killing the General with a Blaster of all things,

"So uncivilised!"

- MacDiarmid acting everyone else off the bloody screen every time he appears. The Opera Scene is a masterclass in seduction. The close up of Palpatine's face when he says,

"It's ironic, really..."

never fails to give me goose-bumps.

- Darth Sideous walk-off KO'ing three Jedi Masters and giving Mace Motherfuckin' Windu the fight of his life.

- Order 66 is haunting. Inspired by the Nazi's Night of the Long Knives; Palpatine is basically Hitler with Superpowers. Bonus points for Palpatine holding the office of Chancellor;)

- The Purge of the Jedi Temple, especially That Scene with the Younglings:eek::eek:

- Sideous pushing Yoda's shit in so badly he ran away and hid in a swamp for almost twenty years.

- Obi Wan finally having a complete sense of humour failure,

"You were the Chosen One! It was written you would destroy the Sith, not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness! You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you..."

- The Birth of Vader. Yeah, it's a bit clunky, but the scene is undeniably powerful. Especially the POV shot of the face mask descending. Bonus points for the Emperor's sadistic smirk as he watches Vader scream in anguish.

By contrast, I can't think of a single scene in Last Jedi that moved me. At best it was bland. At worst, excruciatingly painful to watch.

He does highlight that the idea of Marvel telling a continuous story is perhaps overplayed, these films are ultimatelty designed to be quite self contained in terms of their basic plots so you don't have cliffhangers like the Avengers still being locked up at the end of Civil War(at least until Infinity War).

His lionisation of Whedon seems a little strange to me though when you look at the content of the video, I mean the film he's most harsh on is Ultron for bypassing its own moral conflict. If you look at the original Avengers as well is there really much change in that film? I would say actually that film is the most pure example of an MCU film depending on character interactions rather than showing us any real moral conflict.

What I think you see in the Russo's films though is that whilst the stories remain quite self contained theres a greater depth to the characters. I mean he brings up Whedon creating the Black Widow character but really did he? he gives her nominal motivation of guilt but do we actually see it? the only scene that involves that is actually her tricking Loki not genuine. I would actually argue that with Winter Solider actually a lot of the depth isn't from Rogers its from her, she thinks she's lost a father figure and has to deal with her desire for redemption at any cost actually having led her into being hoodwinked and not having changed as much as she thinks she has. The shift for Rogers is much simpler, he behaves in a moral fashion but she actually had to change realising that the ends do not justify the means.

Likewise in Civil War I would argue the story is rather different to what the video plays it up to be. You see Tony loses confidence in his own moral rightness BUT you also see him redeem that and ultimately follow Cap to help him with what he thinks is the threat of Zemo. Its then though we see this reformed Tony put to the test learning the truth about Buckys involve din his fathers death and then feeds though into Infinity War as well when we see again this selfless Tony lose to Thanos.

End Game really becomes the story about Cap's whole ethos being in question, we see how him, Nat and Clint suffer for following it essentially being ruined by it. Likewise we see Tony retreat into his family life, something he can control but ultimately all of them deside to keep to it and ultimate succeed.

Likewise you see Thor's story becomes about undermining his repeated redemption/revenge arc when it fails to defeat Thanos. Instead his plot becomes about exception that he's not morally perfect but ultimately good.

It's weird to me how many people are mad as hell about these movies. FFS don't watch them then! I didn't bitch for years when those Twilight movies were coming out, because they didn't affect me at all. I'll never understand people getting all pissed off over other people's hobbies.

tvfvk.jpg

<PlusJuan>

They've only barely scratched the surface too. They've used a handful of stories and characters out of thousands. They could make 100 more movies and I hope they do. I waited through Harry potter and twilight and all this other shit, well it's MY turn now.
I'm seeing less pushback from the right wing identity politics crowd with each successive generation of Marvel movies. They've been slowly acclimated to it. Like there were still some dumbass remarks about Black Panther when the sequel was announced, but nowhere near the amount the original endured. I don't think they'd be able to release that Pakistani Miss Marvel show or a movie like Shang Chi without BP proving it works.

Please, please, please none of them stupid ass Aquaman visuals in Marvel! The first time I watched Aquaman I thought I liked it a bit because of the visuals but then on second viewing I realized it just distracted me from how bad that movie was.

I have to agree that the New York battle in the first Avengers was the best battle and everything after kinda sucked. Except for the battle with Thanos on Titan.. that was amazing.

Thor Ragnarok is such a good goddamn movie. Didn't get to see it in theaters as I was busy at the time, but I've watched it at least a half dozen times on Netflix. One of the best MCU movies imo.

Yup, it’s weird and really fun. Doesn’t take it self to serious, has great soundtrack, costumes, colors. It’s great

They've only barely scratched the surface too. They've used a handful of stories and characters out of thousands. They could make 100 more movies and I hope they do. I waited through Harry potter and twilight and all this other shit, well it's MY turn now.

Man fuck "your turn" :p . Bring in more original sci fi, action movies.

Historical sword and sandal epics are dead because of this shit. Give me some Hannibal Barca, Attila the Hun etc.

RedLetterMedia is a pretty great movie review channel. I'm pretty much on board with most of their opinions.

"Im smurter than a xenomorph" always kills me. I go back and watch their review of alien covenant

Title is misleading - he doesn't talk about limitations. More, he talks about how the MCU took another direction after phase 1 and how it suffered because of it.

So apparently this guy has a large following - and many say about this video that they strongly disagree w/ him in this video but overall like his content...

Someone who I am friends with sent me this video, and I know this guy and his channel are very, very popular. So I watched as much as I could stomach - at first I thought he was being sarcastic or just trolling like "The Critical Drinker" (great channel)....but as I realized he was serious...I soon just turned it off.

Oh I forgot, brought to you by the guy who often uses the "It's just a movie for kids" defense for movies with glaring plot holes.

Cliffs:

Phase 1 MCU especially Whedon MCU had more significant character development and better visuals compared to Russo bros MCU. MCU problems are most apparent in the Russo bros directed films.

MCU phase 2 and 3 = not enough color...too drab and gritty.

Thor 1 has more impressive visuals than IW despite being 8 years older....

Avengers battle of NY action > anything after it

Aquaman visuals are a great example for the MCU to follow

MCU Phase 3 doesn't show the heroes caring for and interacting with normal ppl like Whedon's movies did, or doesn't seem to care about civilian deaths.

"In the first Avengers film, it feels like New York is really in danger. In Infinity War, it feels like only the super heroes are in danger"

Ragnorak is one of the best of phase 3, but still lacking in color.

Every 3rd act of MCU phase 3 is the same - big battle.

In a nutshell: "I love colors. Phase 2 and 3 have fewer colors, therefore phase 1 is the best phase".

This dude is for real

Russo brothers are visually inept

I started to watch it and then realized I just don’t give a fuck. And I was surprised that someone gives enough of a duck about comic books and their cinematic extensions to devote all this time to making a video about their shortcomings. And then I saw how he was dressed. I was no longer surprised.

It's weird to me how many people are mad as hell about these movies. FFS don't watch them then! I didn't bitch for years when those Twilight movies were coming out, because they didn't affect me at all. I'll never understand people getting all pissed off over other people's hobbies.

tvfvk.jpg

I dont have an opinion on the TS but the reason people have such strong opinions about marvel is because marvel is sewn into the fabric of our lives from childhood. We grew up with these and they are a part of our mythos. We love and care about them deeply and want the continuation of the characters and the universe to be in good hands.

I can go on watching these movies for the next 30 years and not get bored.

Back