The idea of champs turning down fights is serious bs

Khabib shouldn't even think about Conor right now. His biggest threat is Tony Ferguson. And don't be surprised if Tony wins that fight.

But its okay to just put conor in undeserving fights he has not earning. Beating the corpse of ceronne should not warrant a title shot.

Fuck off with this

Khabib shouldn't even think about Conor right. His biggest threat is Tony Ferguson. And don't be surprised if Tony wins the fight.
Sounds like he's not. "Will you fight Conor next?", "Not interested, next question."

Surely the champ should actually want the easiest possible matchup at any possible time too? The “they don’t deserve it” attitudes always confused me.

Khabib says he has only a few fights left before he retires. If that is true he probably wants to go out by adding to his legacy. Not by fighting a guy he already dominated who did nothing to earn a rematch.

wasn't defending conor, he's included. just making a general statement about the current situation.
i agree with khabib. he shouldn't give Conor the rematch when there are other deserving contenders and conor was beyond disrespectful and tasteless

I'm sorry, but I'm so sick of hearing Khabib refusing to fight Conor, and now even Stipe's trying to do the same with DC.

I don't think Mcgregor deserves an immediate title shot at LW

I don't think DC and Stipe should be fighting again

However, if those are the matches that UFC wants to make, then tough shit. What kind of fucked up precedent does it set when certain fights become optional for champions. Any champion who doesn't have the "I'm the best in the world, so throw whomever the fuck you want at me" attitude shouldn't hold the belt. All this whiny entitled crybaby bullshit is so annoying. I wish the UFC had stricter policies regarding how often champions fight and who exactly they're going to fight. It'd be so much better for the sport if the precedent was "you're fighting this person next, or you're vacating the belt."
Stipe doesn’t turn down fights and said he will fight whoever the ufc gives him

leave him out of this BS

Champs should never be allowed to avoid fighting the no. 1 Contender BUT I have no issue with them turning down any bs fights featuring clearly undeserving challengers that the company throws at them, such as Conor getting a 155 shot after a win ar 170.

and now even Stipe's trying to do the same with DC.

Stipe doesn’t turn down fights and said he will fight whoever the ufc gives him

leave him out of this BS

Thank you @Final Say. This is a good lesson in misleading attention grabbing headlines.

From what I can tell, all the headlines about Stipe this week come from this interview below. At 2:00 he clearly states he'll fight whoever.

But he also says a) he'll beat Ngannou if that's who it is, b) there is currently no contract for a DC bout, mostly because c) he just got cleared to train last week, and he's in no condition to sign a contract because he doesn't know where his body (including his eye) is at.

All very honest and innocuous stuff.

And yet the attention grabbing headlines turned that into some variation of "Stipe denying DC a trilogy". And then @winkydinks and others read the headlines and thinks "Like OMG, Stipe is a ducker!"

To all: if I'm wrong and someone else can find a different source where Stipe actually is ducking DC, feel free to correct me and post it. Thanks.

Thank you @Final Say. This is a good lesson in misleading attention grabbing headlines.

From what I can tell, all the headlines about Stipe this week come from this interview below. At 2:00 he clearly states he'll fight whoever.

But he also says a) he'll beat Ngannou if that's who it is, b) there is currently no contract for a DC bout, mostly because c) he just got cleared to train last week, and he's in no condition to sign a contract because he doesn't know where his body (including his eye) is at.

All very honest and innocuous stuff.

And yet the attention grabbing headlines turned that into some variation of "Stipe denying DC a trilogy". And then @winkydinks and others read the headlines and thinks "Like OMG, Stipe is a ducker!"

To all: if I'm wrong and someone else can find a different source where Stipe actually is ducking DC, feel free to correct me and post it. Thanks.

His manager gave an interview and said they would prefer someone stipe hasn’t beaten already. But a preference isn’t a demand and it didn’t come from the horse’s mouth so we can’t hold it against stipe anyway.

He is vehement about anybody any where any time, so long as he’s healthy. Always been that way and he has never picked his fight.

I hope your aware this precident was set long long long ago.

It didn't start with these guys.

A UFC champ turning down a fight is no BS.
The fact that the UFC decides who gets a titleshot with no regard for rankings, hell there isn't even an independent commission who makes the rankings like there is in boxing and every other real sport on this planet and that the real BS here.
You can get a titleshot in MMA without even being a good fighter. As long as you get likes from kids online, you are ready for a title fight.
This is why the UFC ( and MMA in general ) is a circus and not a sporting event.

In case you never realized 99% of the time the fighters don't get what they want no matter what they been yapping about to the media. The UFC will tell them damn well who they will be fighting. Conor is one of the few exceptions to this rule and in reality what he wants is usually what the UFC wants anyways so it all works out.

A lot of this talk is nothing more than trying to gain a little bit of leverage at the negotiation table in hopes of squeezing out a few more dimes out of the UFC.

Imagine the Patriots saying something like "the Titans don't deserve it, I want to defend the superbowl against the Jets." The champion selecting the challenger is illogical as the champion will select the easiest challenger. The "I am the champion I get to chose who I fight" mentality makes no sense. Its the UFC's fault though for trying to negotiate down pay as much as possible and shunning a logical system. Champions will hold out and try to squeeze out money. Remember you don't get money by being a good employee. You get money by waiting for your reputation to build up then demanding tons of money to fight.

Champions should always fight the #1 contender.

The #1 contender should be determined by the rankings.

The rankings mean shit if champs keep fighting undeserving contenders, with the exception of injury.

The champ is #1 - they need to fight #2. If they've already fought and beat #2, then they should fight #3. If #4 hasn't fought for the title, they should fight #2 for a title shot. This is how rankings are supposed to work.

I personally dont care. Hes not refusing to defend, thats a differenr story.

Imagine the Patriots saying something like "the Titans don't deserve it, I want to defend the superbowl against the Jets." The champion selecting the challenger is illogical as the champion will select the easiest challenger. The "I am the champion I get to chose who I fight" mentality makes no sense. Its the UFC's fault though for trying to negotiate down pay as much as possible and shunning a logical system. Champions will hold out and try to squeeze out money. Remember you don't get money by being a good employee. You get money by waiting for your reputation to build up then demanding tons of money to fight.
2nd half of this post saved the 1st half of this post. Kudos.

champions should fight the number one contender. clubber lang will tell you what happens to champs that can't pick their fights.
giphy.gif

This thread is BS. Khabib shouldn't even be asked to fight Conor at the moment. Conor hasn't won a fight at LW since 2016. Ferguson is on a 12 fight winning streak at LW and Gaethje is on a 3 fight winning streak at LW, both are ahead of Conor.

Back