The idea of champs turning down fights is serious bs

how many people had conor turned down? all of them, so many 145'ers were calling him out... 0 defenses
155 everyone calling him out.. 0 defenses.
he has no room to talk. mcnuggets defend or vacate.
khabib should be fighting tony, then Justin then who ever the next contender is, not some TMZ headliner
wasn't defending conor, he's included. just making a general statement about the current situation.

And how do you feel about guys who have belts not fighting at all to defend them? Khabib as every right to refuse Conor until he shows he can take on a proper contender who has far more right at a shot than Conor who fought a guy not even in his weight class coming off consecutive losses as a gateway to a championship fight? It would be another thing if they had fought a close could've gone either way fight, but they didn't Conor took a thrashing and cheated just to keep his head above water being drowned by Khabib and then he tapped.

Khabib has every right to tell the boss let him prove himself first, f*k him and his followers prove yourself a 40 second fight with Cerrone proves nothing...

Tony is the wild card. I'd be curious to see what the UFC does with Conor/Khabib/Masvidal/Gaethje/Diaz/Usman etc. should Tony beat Khabib (which I think he will).

For competition ideally sanctioning bodies determine the next title challenger. Usually it's the same with the UFC doing it, sometimes marketability. Neither of those 2 allows a champ to cherry pick. It's up for the challengers to call out the champ. If a champ decides the next contender their title doesn't always rep the best, the title isn't about them. How well they do financially or fame wise as a belt holder should always be a byproduct.

And how do you feel about guys who have belts not fighting at all to defend them? Khabib as every right to refuse Conor until he shows he can take on a proper contender who has far more right at a shot than Conor who fought a guy not even in his weight class coming off consecutive losses as a gateway to a championship fight? It would be another thing if they had fought a close could've gone either way fight, but they didn't Conor took a thrashing and cheated just to keep his head above water being drowned by Khabib and then he tapped.

Khabib has every right to tell the boss let him prove himself first, f*k him and his followers prove yourself a 40 second fight with Cerrone proves nothing...
do all the champs get to call the shots or just khabib?

for the record I don't want to see a rematch, there are much bigger fish to fry.

im just wondering where this ends, what has dc done to earn a rematch with stipe
he took a worse loss conor.
aldo coming off a loss getting to fight triple c. has 1 fight and a loss in that division.
when is the boss actually the boss?
ranking need to really be honored. because this shit is a mess these days

Many contracts for UFC fighters,whether champion or non-champion,include the option to decline a certain number of fights( 3 -4 I believe) against whoever they wish for whatever reason they wish.And that is why you end up with the “We signed the contract he doesn’t wanna fight me” type of stuff.

But the downside for the fighter declining the fight is they obviously aren’t making fight money ,they’re extending their exclusive contract with long periods of inactivity and there isn’t any guarantee the UFC offers a more suitable fight in the future .

You cannot be “forced to fight” but it may not be worth it in the long run to refuse either. I’m sure availability/willingness to fight is strongly considered when they decide to renew/release a guy.

I believe a champ should be required to face the #1 contender and/or the highest ranked fighter they have yet to beat. If they turn that down, strip them. Any other fight and they should have the option to take or turn down.

do all the champs get to call the shots or just khabib?

for the record I don't want to see a rematch, there are much bigger fish to fry.

im just wondering where this ends, what has dc done to earn a rematch with stipe
he took a worse loss conor.
aldo coming off a loss getting to fight triple c. has 1 fight and a loss in that division.
when is the boss actually the boss?
ranking need to really be honored. because this shit is a mess these days

UFC heading down a path of pure casual pleasing nothing wrong with putting on just for entertainment fights such as the recent BMF fight but when it comes to divisions and good old ladder climbing that's what I like to see. Khabib as every right to refuse a fight under proper circumstances be it injury or controversy Conor is a controversy what other f*king circumstance does Conor have a rightful shot at any title after a one 1 fight return not even in the division?

This is to say if Khabib winz against Tony, Conor has his pick of the fighting litter depending on the outcome of that fight. I fanboy for no fighter (OK maybe Jon Jones, but that's it) I'm interested in seeing proper fights with champs and deserving contenders I don't agree with Cejudo/Aldo if they wanna fight then fight, but not for a belt make it just for entertainment I'm a long time Aldo fan and I can say there is no way he should be fighting for a belt unless it's a housecoat belt.

I can't even speak on the HW belt situation I hardly follow unless they announce a fight I'm not a Stipe fan and find him basic & boring so whatever there.

UFC is taking a WWE approach to belts whoever is most popular winz and gets the shot, and it's a shame because they're are truly hardworking fighters who still believe in ranks and ladder climbing while trying to build their name and brand as do I.

I'm sorry, but I'm so sick of hearing Khabib refusing to fight Conor, and now even Stipe's trying to do the same with DC.

I don't think Mcgregor deserves an immediate title shot at LW

I don't think DC and Stipe should be fighting again

However, if those are the matches that UFC wants to make, then tough shit. What kind of fucked up precedent does it set when certain fights become optional for champions. Any champion who doesn't have the "I'm the best in the world, so throw whomever the fuck you want at me" attitude shouldn't hold the belt. All this whiny entitled crybaby bullshit is so annoying. I wish the UFC had stricter policies regarding how often champions fight and who exactly they're going to fight. It'd be so much better for the sport if the precedent was "you're fighting this person next, or you're vacating the belt."

The idea that Stipe is refusing to fight DC is serious BS. Nowhere has he said he wouldn't fight him again. In fact he's still saying stuff like "Whoever they want me to fight, honestly. I don’t really care", the exact attitude you desire. But he won't say he's fighting DC until he actually signs a contract, and he won't sign a contract until he's back in fighting shape and sure the eye injury hasn't recurred. Don't put too much stress on whatever his manager "wants" and "hopes".

• However, if those are the matches that UFC wants to make, then tough shit
  • I wish the UFC had stricter policies regarding how often champions fight and who exactly they're going to fight..
Stop. Think.

Who has had most of the power in negotiations throughout most of the history of the UFC?

Zuffa has.

Therefore, they get most of the blame for how it evolved.

Since their takeover, it was to Zuffa's advantage to have a) no automatic matches, b) vague promises, and c) negotiated fighter pay. They did this to maximize profits, lower fighter pay, and have the ability to cherry pick who gets title shots based on PPV salability instead of merit, if needed.

Today we are seeing a small recourse to Zuffa defining the rules of this game so that it helps them most of the time. Suddenly, fighters found one time and place where they can make some demands...and you want to blame fighters and take their one negotiation strength away.

Are you sure what you suggest is in everyone's best interest?

Or maybe a more thorough overhaul of the entire system would be better for everyone, eh?

EDIT: now let me be very clear; I also am frustrated with champs taking their time and/or picking and choosing their next opponent. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's annoying. But compared to the massive power imbalance between Zuffa and fighters overall, after seeing it in context, it's actually pretty minor to me. Especially when you consider that most of the time, UFC eventually gets the fight they want. Just not in the timeline fans prefer.

Last edited:
Champions should take on all comers, but this bullshit of people being expedited to title shots and a champion refusing is totally fair.

Stipe-DC 3 makes the most sense. It's the rubber match.
Conor-Khabib 2 makes zero sense.

But Stipe-DC 3 only happened because there was a Stipe-DC 2 ... which made no sense.

It's a needed counterbalance to the UFC's ridiculous (at times) matchmaking.

I welcome it.

I'm sorry, but I'm so sick of hearing Khabib refusing to fight Conor, and now even Stipe's trying to do the same with DC.

I don't think Mcgregor deserves an immediate title shot at LW

I don't think DC and Stipe should be fighting again

However, if those are the matches that UFC wants to make, then tough shit. What kind of fucked up precedent does it set when certain fights become optional for champions. Any champion who doesn't have the "I'm the best in the world, so throw whomever the fuck you want at me" attitude shouldn't hold the belt. All this whiny entitled crybaby bullshit is so annoying. I wish the UFC had stricter policies regarding how often champions fight and who exactly they're going to fight. It'd be so much better for the sport if the precedent was "you're fighting this person next, or you're vacating the belt."

We agree that the UFC should have firmer guidelines on how someone earns a TS. And I would certainly like to see champs defend their belt more. But under the current climate, all fighters, and particularly champs should be willing and able to tell the UFC to fuck off.

Fighters have few rights and privileges in their current arrangement with the UFC. But one right they all have is the ability to turn down a fight. I find it fascinating that people on here would ever begrudge a fighter using pretty much the only piece of leverage they have. Especially when it is for a legitimate reason.

Champions have a vested interest in the integrity of the belts they hold. The UFC has shown time and again through gifting undeserved title shots and creating unnecessary, meaningless interim belts that they will almost always sacrifice the integrity of the sport and it's belt for $.

People should not have a problem with a champ using his only real leverage and say 'No' to giving someone a TS when it's blatantly obvious they have not earned it. If there were enough money involved for the champion, many of them would probably also be willing to take some of the luster off their hard earned belt by granting a BS title shot. But the UFC does not like to share their money.

For other champions like Khabib, perhaps his integrity is not for sale. Or perhaps his price is just higher than the Bisping's and Adesanya's of the world.

Last edited:
Conor doens't deserve another title shot, he's 1-1 at LW and hasn't won a LW fight since 2016.
Stipe should never have got an immediate rematch with DC so it's a bit hypocritical of him not to want DC 3.

So Khabib and Stipe are right, the UFC should offer them more deserving opponents then they wouldn't have to turn down stupid rematches.

UFC heading down a path of pure casual pleasing nothing wrong with putting on just for entertainment fights such as the recent BMF fight but when it comes to divisions and good old ladder climbing that's what I like to see. Khabib as every right to refuse a fight under proper circumstances be it injury or controversy Conor is a controversy what other f*king circumstance does Conor have a rightful shot at any title after a one 1 fight return not even in the division?

This is to say if Khabib winz against Tony, Conor has his pick of the fighting litter depending on the outcome of that fight. I fanboy for no fighter (OK maybe Jon Jones, but that's it) I'm interested in seeing proper fights with champs and deserving contenders I don't agree with Cejudo/Aldo if they wanna fight then fight, but not for a belt make it just for entertainment I'm a long time Aldo fan and I can say there is no way he should be fighting for a belt unless it's a housecoat belt.

I can't even speak on the HW belt situation I hardly follow unless they announce a fight I'm not a Stipe fan and find him basic & boring so whatever there.

UFC is taking a WWE approach to belts whoever is most popular winz and gets the shot, and it's a shame because they're are truly hardworking fighters who still believe in ranks and ladder climbing while trying to build their name and brand as do I.
i agree its nonsense.

but we forget that the ufc is not a legit sport, its sports entertainment.

the only rule is, if it makes the bald goof money its ok

What kind of fucked up precedent does it set when certain fights become optional for champions.
What fucked up precedent does it set when certain fighters can just pick and chose who they fight, then get to pick a title shot against someone who previously dominated them despite not even fighting in the weight division or against a contender since?

What fucked up precedent does it set when certain fighters can just pick and chose who they fight, then get to pick a title shot against someone who previously dominated them despite not even fighting in the weight division or against a contender since?
Well, when A Silva pushed his weight around, he got a raise. He had a lot of negotiating power.

But when Germaine de Randami pushed her weight around, she got stripped. She did not have a lot of negotiating power.

What sort of negotiating power do Khabib & Stipe have? I suppose we'll find out soon.

But I reiterate, Zuffa set up the rules of this game, and allowed negotiations and re-negotiations for their non-employee, self-employed fighters. They set it up this way because 99% of the time, it is in their best interest.

You sound angry. You sound like you want to blame someone. Blame Dana. No one else.

Bigger picture, my man. Always try to find the bigger picture. Very few things in life are in a vacuum, or have no broader context within which we should view it.

Last edited:
LOL

The UFC want that strap on Mcgregor.

Your supposed to go "yess massa whenever u want!!!"

Sometimes what the UFC offers is not the best thing for you to do. They wanted Jon jones to defend his title against a diff opponent on short notice when Hendo got injured. He's like "no fuckin way man"
And he was in the right.

The UFC is like "please Khabib fight this dude. We are completley behind him,completley against you,and if we could have had him fight you WITHOUT fighting Cowboy we would have! Yes it was super easy fight for him,and you have to fight Tony Ferguson lol

But we dont CARE. Conor doesnt HAVE to win a challenging opponent to get anything! we just want it this way! Herb dean gonna be the ref! yayyyy!!!!"

Back