• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Economy The HOUSE Passes $2k Cornavirus Relief Checks

As a Canadian with an American girlfriend and whose son is American, meaning we would have received $4,000 USD cheques it is kind of disappointing that McConnell is killing it on arrival. That being said, the 4K would've been like 1/8 of my property taxes, so it really is sort of a pittance. Was more of a nice to have, definitely not needed.

No, the whole story is the democrat house passed a bill giving Americans 600 dollars while sending many times that to special interest overseas in the name of Covid relief.
The leader of the house called it "significant", same woman who called the Trump tax breaks crumbs.
Then Trump said it was unacceptable and suddenly people like you weren't sure what to say.
Mcconell doesn't write the bills that reach the senate floor.
Stop being a sheep already.

Pelosi and McConnell spent 6 months NEGOTIATING a bill that could pass both the House and Senate, and your conclusion is that McConnell doesn't influence what bills come to the Senate floor?

;) ;) ;)

And speaking of influence, if trump actually had any investment in getting people $2k, he could have pressured McConnell to accept the $2k stimulus amount that the House PASSED over the summer (nice how you ignore that fact).

OR he could have been present during the negotiation of this bill to show us all how the Art of the Deal is done. Instead, he just chose to briefly grandstand at the last minute before dick tucking back into line.

I'll trade you lol
LOL I'm good.

I bitch till the cows come home about how much I'm taxed but I'm also lucky, I got to keep my job during all this and it's a raise over what I used to make in Washington.

That said, you can bet your ass after I am here for a full 2.5 years I am going to try and find a job doing what I do in the private sector to make more.

If I'm going to be taxed as much as I am I want to get as close to the next tax bracket as I can so I can take more home. I make gross like 44k a year. Just under 45k. I think take home after deductions (some of which I admittedly opt in to like a legal fund and life insurance) I get 33k which is my old gross amount at my last job so I'm doing better. I just wish the take home was closer to what the gross was and the only way to get there is to get my gross over the 50k-ish mark.

I am acutely aware of how much I lose every check. I have been taxed almost 10k in Federal and State income taxes this year.

Right there with ya. I just think people would notice how much larger their checks were and start to realize what they pay.

Right there with ya. I just think people would notice how much larger their checks were and start to realize what they pay.
I could see that.

I've always felt that number should be in giant bold red letters so people see it on their stub.

LOL I'm good.

I bitch till the cows come home about how much I'm taxed but I'm also lucky, I got to keep my job during all this and it's a raise over what I used to make in Washington.

That said, you can bet your ass after I am here for a full 2.5 years I am going to try and find a job doing what I do in the private sector to make more.

If I'm going to be taxed as much as I am I want to get as close to the next tax bracket as I can so I can take more home. I make gross like 44k a year. Just under 45k. I think take home after deductions (some of which I admittedly opt in to like a legal fund and life insurance) I get 33k which is my old gross amount at my last job so I'm doing better. I just wish the take home was closer to what the gross was and the only way to get there is to get my gross over the 50k-ish mark.

It's funny. My first 5 years out of college I was making $34K to like $50K and I was pissed just like you at all the taxes that came out. Eventually you grow immune to it, even when you effective tax rate starts getting closer to 50%. Today, I basically work 3 days a week for the Fed/State/local government and two days for my family.

All this money being sent to 80% of tax payers (sadly and fortunately we don't qualify) will still impact me in the form of more taxes and inflation. We are all fooked.

Not gonna lie, this is a tipping point for the GOP. This decision will greatly reflect on the future of the party.

It's funny. My first 5 years out of college I was making $34K to like $50K and I was pissed just like you at all the taxes that came out. Eventually you grow immune to it, even when you effective tax rate starts getting closer to 50%. Today, I basically work 3 days a week for the Fed/State/local government and two days for my family.

All this money being sent to 80% of tax payers (sadly and fortunately we don't qualify) will still impact me in the form of more taxes and inflation. We are all fooked.
I would qualify. I got a check the last go round. I am basically JUST ABOVE the working poor when you break it down. I have like 33% of my gross pay deducted in some fashion between the Federal and State income taxes as well as medicare/SS deductions and a couple of the things I opt into like the aforementioned life insurance and such.

Just an estimate breakdown:
I before taxes earn about $1700 a check. I lose about $185 in federal income tax, $25 in Fed/Med (medicare I assume), $105 in Fed OASD which I assume is for Social Security, and $85 in State taxes.

So of my $1700 check I lose ABOUT $400 right out the gate in just taxes to the government. I get what it's supposed to be used for and why it happens but it feels like my bracket is footing the bill for the country and that pisses me off and makes me want to yell BLYAT or NYET, RIFLE FINE and blast this whenever I drive through town:

And I'm currently a registered Republican.

This should be every argument, ad/commercial, etc for the Dems in Georgia. Vote for them, get $2k checks. Vote for the republicans, get nothing.

I would qualify. I got a check the last go round. I am basically JUST ABOVE the working poor when you break it down. I have like 33% of my gross pay deducted in some fashion between the Federal and State income taxes as well as medicare/SS deductions and a couple of the things I opt into like the aforementioned life insurance and such.

Just an estimate breakdown:
I before taxes earn about $1700 a check. I lose about $185 in federal income tax, $25 in Fed/Med (medicare I assume), $105 in Fed OASD which I assume is for Social Security, and $85 in State taxes.

So of my $1700 check I lose ABOUT $400 right out the gate in just taxes to the government. I get what it's supposed to be used for and why it happens but it feels like my bracket is footing the bill for the country and that pisses me off and makes me want to yell BLYAT or NYET, RIFLE FINE and blast this whenever I drive through town:

And I'm currently a registered Republican.

You should get a good chunk of your taxes back at the end of the year. Your average tax rate if you live in CA is around 18.5% with a marginal rate is 26% (the tax on your last dollar and next dollar). Then you factor in employee payroll tax of 6.2% and healthcare and all the little ancillary hits and it gets more fun.

But brace yourself when you enter the private sector and see that marginal rate jump to 40%+

1cc.gif

Yeah they cash out their assets and we tax that transaction.

People who advocate for flat tax on consumables only are too dumb to have an opinion on tax policy.

So if I sale my condo what the fair ass fucking by taxes should I get 5% 10% 25% 35% ??? so lazy trash can live off me ?

What about my classic car, if I can flip if for 100k how much for the leeches should I get taken for ? maybe 50% ehh ?

Back