The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

I find the older Twins and the new 2013 models have the same hand compartment. Not too tight for me but not too loose. I must have bigger wrists becuz the wrist support is great on my end. I also agree with everyone who says Top King is ultra snug!!!!

Good stuff! I'm a little surprised that you found the hand compartment tight, as general consensus (and personal experience) seems to point to the Twins as having a medium-sized hand compartment (the Top Kings are crazy tight LOL; for the record, I have long and wide but thin hands, if that makes any sense). Smart move on shifting the wrapping focus to your wrists as the Twins' cuff is indeed shorter than most other gloves' -- when you clinch, the advantage it offers should become readily apparent. :) I also agree about the thumb position; I like it too!

Just a small tangential question: you picked up a pair of the 2013 model, right? The ones with the black and red label (as opposed to the older models with the white and blue). There are some minor differences in the two models.

Anyway, enjoy your new gloves! Once they break in, they'll feel even better!

Yup, 2013 black label. Lets have they break in soon enough.

I actually like the pillow-like nature of Twins. I tried on a buddy of mine's and was shocked by how snug and comfortable they were. My Windys are hard as shit with a large hand compartment and with the Twins it almost felt like you didn't need to wrap, though you always should. The gloves are also slightly curved forward at the wrist and seem tailor made for clinch work--it really seems like a perfect glove for Muay Thai. However, I could also see how the hook and loop may be too wide for a guy with small wrists. It's hit and miss.

I was unaware that the BGV1 lacked a grip bar, and many people stated they are on cletos quality which they were not. I just felt somewhat disappointed.

The boons were simply just a glove i wanted, i never tried them out, but they looked solid and everyone here seems to love them. They were my 1st choice but i got impatient and decided to go with fairtex instead.

Based on others posts/reviews boons have the better hand compartment and feel.

Fairtexs were great but just not for me, which is why i offered to sell them at a discounted price of course to anyone in the US if they wanted them.

I do not understand the hype for the bgv1's, they feel so top heavy to me and of lesser quality than the bgv9/5 and bgl7. From my experience everyone starting out buys those then switch to a different styled on their next pair.

Oh, I'll have the pictures of my leather punched bgv9's up by Monday.

Well the bgv1 is a basic muay thai glove pretty much like the basic model from every company.

I like mine, Ive used lots of other stuff but I generally stick to bgv1 because it meets y needs and fits me well. I have ordered up bgv9s so theres a good chance that becomes my go to.

Well I don't own any other gloves (except top ten fight elite bag gloves) to compare to.
here is what i think about boons
pros:
long cuff for good wrist protection, very snug hand compartment for ppl with small hands

cons:
much bigger size and heavier feeling than say fairtex bvg1 for the same oz size.
the foam is quite thin and dense, i feel somewhat more shock when throwing right hands to the body. the foam is not as nice as fairtex bvg1 four-layered system where you can easily depress a finger into it.

also, i am looking forward to reading about the fairtex bgv9's, i've seen that they got the imf-like foam in it.

I agree about the padding of the Boons. The cut of the glove is ergonomically solid but the padding degrades quickly, especially on the bag. I haven't tried the bgv1s to compare, but everyone seems to put them up there as the quintissential thai glove.

As for the bgv9s, I thought they were more like Thai versions of Cleto Reyes, not IMF like?

BGV9 are padded with a high density layered latex foam, NOT IMF.

BGV9 are padded with a high density layered latex foam, NOT IMF.

That's what I thought. Personally, I wouldn't mind a Thai glove with IMF padding. If they could somehow do it while leaving the open-handed design for clinching, I'd give it a go.

How similar is the padding of the BGV9s to Reyes? The cut looks dead on.

That's what I thought. Personally, I wouldn't mind a Thai glove with IMF padding. If they could somehow do it while leaving the open-handed design for clinching, I'd give it a go.

How similar is the padding of the BGV9s to Reyes? The cut looks dead on.

BGV9 padding is significantly denser (a high density latex is used, while Reyes are about medium density), BGV9 are pretty firm comparing to Reyes.

I actually like the pillow-like nature of Twins. I tried on a buddy of mine's and was shocked by how snug and comfortable they were. My Windys are hard as shit with a large hand compartment and with the Twins it almost felt like you didn't need to wrap, though you always should. The gloves are also slightly curved forward at the wrist and seem tailor made for clinch work--it really seems like a perfect glove for Muay Thai. However, I could also see how the hook and loop may be too wide for a guy with small wrists. It's hit and miss.

Very much agreed!

DO the 9s have more padding or about the same as a Reyes?

DO the 9s have more padding or about the same as a Reyes?

Appx. the same as Reyes. But the padding is much better than Reyes (in terms of a bag work). Basically it is the same kind of padding like in Grant super bag gloves.

Yeah i think I'll just wait a few months get some boons or trade for boons

Yeah i think I'll just wait a few months get some boons or trade for boons

No personal experience with Boon yet, but since the fingers pocket is too short and the price to get them to Europe is too high, I am going to skip them :)

Honestly, BGV9 worth a try... Boons are nice, but Fairtex are Fairtex. Unfortunately you got the worst model by Fairtex a boxer can get lol (but decent for MT). BGV5 and BGV9 are very good gloves.

Yeah I traded for bg5s they seemed to fit my style of glove best.

Yeah I traded for bg5s they seemed to fit my style of glove best.

They have similar kind of padding as Reyes/Grant (training Grant gloves, not super bag gloves), just have more padding than Reyes. Excellent gloves actually.

Appx. the same as Reyes. But the padding is much better than Reyes (in terms of a bag work). Basically it is the same kind of padding like in Grant super bag gloves.

This has me interested. I was a big fan of the Grant Super Bag Gloves and the padding. I was going to buy a new pair but they shot up in price a bit too much for my taste ($299 stateside). The 9s seem like a helluva deal.

Back