The Hierarchy Of Muay Thai Brands?

If I remember correctly, Boon is actually an Australian brand. I don't like Boons as much as the proper Thai brands because the cuffs are too long and tight, which some guys prefer because they want extra wrist support but for muay thai gloves, the wrists are meant to allow flexibility for clinchwork. A lot of people on here don't seem to know this.

I don't think it's Australian dude. Head office in Thailand. Made in Thailand. Minuscule amount of online Aussie stores sell it (1 or 2 maybe) at jacked up prices.

Where'd you hear it was Australian?

I don't think it's Australian dude. Head office in Thailand. Made in Thailand. Minuscule amount of online Aussie stores sell it (1 or 2 maybe) at jacked up prices.

Where'd you hear it was Australian?

Boon is made in Thailand, but the owner/creator of the brand is Australian.

BTW, how does a Thai brand get the name "Boon". Does Boon mean anything in Thai? Or is it named after a foreigner (like Bas Boon perhaps)?

Yes they're owned by a foreigner and made in Thailand. I was at the factory in Bangkok and saw all the thai women sewing gear by hand out on the front steps of the building.

I have been told by a couple of Thais I know in the States that the word does mean an offering that you give to buddhist monks

If I remember correctly, Boon is actually an Australian brand. I don't like Boons as much as the proper Thai brands because the cuffs are too long and tight, which some guys prefer because they want extra wrist support but for muay thai gloves, the wrists are meant to allow flexibility for clinchwork. A lot of people on here don't seem to know this.

My boon gloves that I ordered from TitleBoxing are the best gloves I have ordered under 100 dollars, (e.g., better then ringside, title, fairtex, hayabusa, and everlast). However, the pair I got from K-star are not the same, different leather, looser hand fabric, and less flexibility.

I as for clinching, boon allow for clinching just as well as my old Fairtex and they allow for better wrist support for punching and blocking high-kicks. In my mind boon are a hybrid westernboxing/muay thai glove.

In my opinion, twins/raja/top king/king are all on the same tier, they're all big pillows if you like that sorta thing. Fairtex/windy/Boon are a little tighter, the overall shape is a smaller, the leather's harder, my kinda glove.

For shinguards I'd go with top king, no contest. Best guards I've ever used and they come in all different colours.

To the TS, if you're gonna pick up a buncha stuff for friends, you can't go wrong buying Boon gear - it's cheap and very quality IMO.

I recently had the chance to try out a bunch of gloves before making a decision (thanks to an experienced ex-K1 pro at my gym) and I have to say to me nothing felt as good as the Fairtex's. Ended up grabbing a pair of 16oz BGV1's and have not regretted the decision one bit.

That's not to say that the other top-tier brands aren't great as well. Boon, Windy were also right up there for me.

A lot of it is about personal preference though of course.

I wouldn't say Fairtex is the "rolls royce"... Top King and Twins are just as popular. Fairtex is simply more popular in the US.

High End
1. Fairtex
2. Boon/K. (old brand that made the best pads, mitts and bag gloves)
3. Windy/Twins
4. Top King

Middle
1.Raja (in middle only due to worst velcro)
2.Sandee
3.Yokkao

The not so good
1.Yoakko
2.Thaismai
3.Muay Thai brand

I made this list based on my experience and my friend's opinion who is one of the biggest sellers for K. brand and Top King.

Don't over think this dude. The best part about getting gear in Thailand is getting really good gloves and shins at cheap prices. Get cheap shorts and t-shirts if you must. But get some Fairtex gloves and some windy shins. You will be super happy and they will last a long time

I am out in the Philippines and get around the same price you would pay in Thailand. But if you want to get your friends some souvenirs remember that its the thought that counts. No one really expects anything from you.
There is a famous large market in Thailand that sells a variety of things. You can get Muay Thai Shorts, t-shirts, and other cool things for your friends for a cheap price.

Don't over think this dude. The best part about getting gear in Thailand is getting really good gloves and shins at cheap prices. Get cheap shorts and t-shirts if you must. But get some Fairtex gloves and some windy shins. You will be super happy and they will last a long time

Fairtex Gloves are only avaible at Action Zone and Bangplee, right? Bangplee will have them quite cheaper I guess.

Fairtex Gloves are only avaible at Action Zone and Bangplee, right? Bangplee will have them quite cheaper I guess.

Both those places should have them, if you happen to go to te fairtex resort, they should have a pro shop there but it's probably marked up a bit.

The fairtex pro shop (bangplee gym) is where I got mine and they were super cheap. I didn't make it action zone. But my gloves I got in Thailand for 38 USD were like 119 in the USA :)

Stick to the higher end brands for durability.

Raja is considered high end as well along with Boon.

I have a set of Raja gloves I got at Rajadamnern Stadium in Bangkok 7 years ago along with a pair of TWINS. I love both. TWINS and RAJA gloves have served me very very well.

Back