The Guitar Thread.

th

ENded up buying this after, great guitar, love it already.

Beautiful and plays really well. The action is a bit high, but I can always lower that. I can tell the bridge is extremely good at staying in tune and the guitar sounds great.

Apparently when the guy I bought it off purchased the guitar it went for 1050 retail, so 550 after only 2 and half years of use is a great deal. Really happy with it.

Good deal post some Pictures and tell us about the action once you manage to set it up are you willing to share setup techniques?

I ask because some guitarists are very secretive about their guitar setups either way every guitar is different and a set up that works for one guitar will not work for another even if they are the same model.

th

ENded up buying this after, great guitar, love it already.

Beautiful and plays really well. The action is a bit high, but I can always lower that. I can tell the bridge is extremely good at staying in tune and the guitar sounds great.

Apparently when the guy I bought it off purchased the guitar it went for 1050 retail, so 550 after only 2 and half years of use is a great deal. Really happy with it.
Quick update on the RG870QMZ:

Still love it, but, interesting thing about the bridge. Dive bombing puts it way out of tune... which was bumming me out when I realized it, but pulling up on the bridge puts it back in basically perfect tuning, so, while I'm still a bit disappointed in the bridge as I heard it was VERY good at staying in tune, it's not that big of a deal, because there's a quick solution too it.

It means I won't be doing alot of dive bombing mid song, but now I know there's a very quick fix for it.

EDIT:

Second update, I'm an idiot, just realized the locking nuts are SUPER loose. That explains it, hahaha. Fuck man, makes sense now.

That really helps, I was planning on getting another Ibanez with an Edge Zero II bridge:

1Ibanez_SIX6DFM_DCB_1P_01.png

And I was like "If this guitars bridge is being contrary, I should probably stick too fixed bridges when comes too Ibanez from this point on" but that explains it.

Last edited:

Still love it, but, interesting thing about the bridge. Dive bombing puts it way out of tune... which was bumming me out when I realized it, but pulling up on the bridge puts it back in basically perfect tuning, so, while I'm still a bit disappointed in the bridge as I heard it was VERY good at staying in tune, it's not that big of a deal, because there's a quick solution too it.

It means I won't be doing alot of dive bombing mid song, but now I know there's a very quick fix for it.

Check the studs and the knife edge if it is dull you may get it to machine shop and have it sharpened.

This website is a good source not only for Technical info but also on some Parts.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/

Check the studs and the knife edge if it is dull you may get it to machine shop and have it sharpened.

This website is a good source not only for Technical info but also on some Parts.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/
The problem has been identified.

Just the locking nut being super loose. Like, the guy didn't even have them semi tightened at all, they're about ready to fall off sure, hahaha. I'll just drop into the shop and get a new alan key.

The problem has been identified.

Just the locking nut being super loose. Like, the guy didn't even have them semi tightened at all, they're about ready to fall off sure, hahaha. I'll just drop into the shop and get a new alan key.

ah yeah that happens do premiums come with a hard shell case?

EDIT:

Second update, I'm an idiot, just realized the locking nuts are SUPER loose. That explains it, hahaha. Fuck man, makes sense now.

That really helps, I was planning on getting another Ibanez with an Edge Zero II bridge:

View attachment 157925

And I was like "If this guitars bridge is being contrary, I should probably stick too fixed bridges when comes too Ibanez from this point on" but that explains it.

This is why I am such an obsessed freak about Bridges, my ex GF thinks I am an elitist because she says a bridge should work properly as long as it is set up correctly.. But I know better I already had bad experiences from some license floyd variants such as the LO TRS II type trems, She got has an old refurbished Japan Era RG570 with a Lo Pro she got from her uncle I guess she has not played much other guitars with Floyd Rose copy trem set.

I have an RG220 Korean made year 1998 guitar it needs new fret work but I want to replace its crappy single lock license floyd, it will be a waste of money to have that re fretted if I can't get a bridge replacement I think I might Order a used Lo Pro from that website or find a gotoh bridge but it will need some routing work but I think that can be taken care of as I know a luthier.

This is why I am such an obsessed freak about Bridges, my ex GF thinks I am an elitist because she says a bridge should work properly as long as it is set up correctly.. But I know better I already had bad experiences from some license floyd variants such as the LO TRS II type trems, She got has an old refurbished Japan Era RG570 with a Lo Pro she got from her uncle I guess she has not played much other guitars with Floyd Rose copy trem set.

I have an RG220 Korean made year 1998 guitar it needs new fret work but I want to replace its crappy single lock license floyd, it will be a waste of money to have that re fretted if I can't get a bridge replacement I think I might Order a used Lo Pro from that website or find a gotoh bridge but it will need some routing work but I think that can be taken care of as I know a luthier.
I totally understand.

Doesn't seem elitist at all, when I realized the Herman Li Egen 8 had an Edge III I was like "nope", especially for $1450, like... no way am I buying an almost 1500 dollar guitar with an Edge III bridge, no matter if it's got a Mahogony body or Gold hardware... I mean, I could always replace it, but it seems pretty silly to buy a guitar just to have to change the bridge not long after buying it, first I have to ship a 230 dollar gold floyd from somewhere like Korea or Germany, but I have to pay who knows how much to get it installed and then altogether the price for a quality guitar would be more than what I had planned... the quality of the bridge should reflect the price imo.

The bridge is one of the most important parts of a guitar, everyone knows that. A shitty floating trem is useless and brings the value of a guitar way down. I mean, what good is a bridge that won't stay in tune, what good is a floating trem you can't use because it throws the strings out of whack everytime you use it? I learned that long ago.

Which is why, if I can get a guitar like the Ibanez SIX6DFM, with an Edge Zero II, Mahogony body, flame maple top in grey burst for a thousand dollars over the Herman Li signature for 500 more, you better believe I'm going with the SIX6DFM.

I totally understand.

Doesn't seem elitist at all, when I realized the Herman Li Egen 8 had an Edge III I was like "nope", especially for $1450, like... no way am I buying an almost 1500 dollar guitar with an Edge III bridge, no matter if it's got a Mahogony body or Gold hardware... I mean, I could always replace it, but it seems pretty silly to buy a guitar just to have to change the bridge not long after buying it, first I have to ship a 230 dollar gold floyd from somewhere like Korea or Germany, but I have to pay who knows how much to get it installed and then altogether the price for a quality guitar would be more than what I had planned... the quality of the bridge should reflect the price imo.

The bridge is one of the most important parts of a guitar, everyone knows that. A shitty floating trem is useless and brings the value of a guitar way down. I mean, what good is a bridge that won't stay in tune, what good is a floating trem you can't use because it throws the strings out of whack everytime you use it? I learned that long ago.

Which is why, if I can get a guitar like the Ibanez SIX6DFM, with an Edge Zero II, Mahogony body, flame maple top in grey burst for a thousand dollars over the Herman Li signature for 500 more, you better believe I'm going with the SIX6DFM.

Yeah that SIX6DFM is a good bargain,

That Li Egan that goes for $1450 is way over priced at that price it should come with the Edge or Lo pro,

So I've decided to stay away from Ibanez when it comes to making any new purchases for the foreseeable future.

The guitars they currently have are either too ugly, have something that's in general a deal breaker about the design like no inlays(came too the realization that I rely heavily on inlays) or are too expensive.

The S and RG series are just not what I want in a guitar atm. Basically none of the Ibanez guitars are what I want.

There's literally one RG in the Iron Label series I even give a shit about and it has no inlays.

The S series either has no inlays with it's Iron Label series or, having recently played one of the standard series guitars the S770PB, I got to see how friggin' ugly that guitar is and the quilt maple blue isn't that great either.

Usually the criteria for a guitar for me is Price > Playability > Sound/Materials > Look, but when you're paying over a grand for a guitar, it better meet everyone of them. I don't want a 1200 dollar guitar that I hate looking at.

I recently found out that my local music store can ship in Schtecer guitars, well, that was music too my ears(no pun intended).

I've wanted a Jeff Loomis 7 string Signature for a long time, almost 3 years now and they can order them in, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I looked around at other 7 strings, Ibanez 7 strings are all awful, not a single one so far that I want and Jackson seem to paint all of their necks and put on a gloss finish(I despise gloss finishes), but Schecter are the third guitar brand that, while I was always interested, seemed out of the questin, because no one, except Best Buy who don't make special orders, supplied them where I live.

Anyway, these are the two guitars I have my eye on:

1Schecter-Jeff-Loomis-JL-7-Vampyr-Red # 999$.jpg

JL 7 FR

1Schecter-blackjack-sls-fr-s-stbb-tilt.png

Blackjack SLS FR S

The Blackjack has a Satin finish on it's neck, even though it's painted, so that's perfect. It's also got a Sustaniac system which I've been very interested in for a long time, it's beautiful, has a 12-16" compound radius, so it's right up my alley in terms of fretboard and it has an actual Floyd, a Floyd 1000 series bridge. It's also in he price range, between 1000 and 1300 dollars, so not paying anymore than what I had planned before with the Ibanez guitars.

@ShinkanPo do you have any experience with the Floyd 1000 series bridge? I had a guitar with one on it, but I hated the thing so much I barely played it. From what I could tell it was a solid bridge though, but I'd like to hear your input on it.

I recently found out that my local music store can ship in Schtecer guitars, well, that was music too my ears(no pun intended).

I've wanted a Jeff Loomis 7 string Signature for a long time, almost 3 years now and they can order them in, so I'm pretty stoked about that. I looked around at other 7 strings, Ibanez 7 strings are all awful, not a single one so far that I want and Jackson seem to paint all of their necks and put on a gloss finish(I despise gloss finishes), but Schecter are the third guitar brand that, while I was always interested, seemed out of the questin, because no one, except Best Buy who don't make special orders, supplied them where I live.

View attachment 160207

JL 7 FR

View attachment 160209

Blackjack SLS FR S

The Blackjack has a Satin finish on it's neck, even though it's painted, so that's perfect. It's also got a Sustaniac system which I've been very interested in for a long time, it's beautiful, has a 12-16" compound radius, so it's right up my alley in terms of fretboard and it has an actual Floyd, a Floyd 1000 series bridge. It's also in he price range, between 1000 and 1300 dollars, so not paying anymore than what I had planned before with the Ibanez guitars.

@ShinkanPo do you have any experience with the Floyd 1000 series bridge? I had a guitar with one on it, but I hated the thing so much I barely played it. From what I could tell it was a solid bridge though, but I'd like to hear your input on it.

I haven't tried the 1000 series all I have tried is the original floyd and then the rest are the Cheep license Korean or Taiwan copies aside from the Yamaha and Ibanez variants.

Some people said that the Gotoh Bridges are the best 3rd party floyd type trems that are available commercially.

View attachment 160207

JL 7 FR

I picked one of these used this summer. Very nice guitar, but I HATE the FR because I am not used to it. First guitar I've owned with one and it's annoying.

Other guitar I own is an SG standard I've had since '96. Love this guitar.

I picked one of these used this summer. Very nice guitar, but I HATE the FR because I am not used to it. First guitar I've owned with one and it's annoying.

Other guitar I own is an SG standard I've had since '96. Love this guitar.

Floyed types are a pain in the neck to tune and offcourse if you want beding strings and having some open strings as a drone it wont work as the open string will go flat.

It just depends on the music you play if you want dive bombs then a floyd is your friend hehehe I would to have a fix bridge one of this days like an LP!!!

I haven't tried the 1000 series all I have tried is the original floyd and then the rest are the Cheep license Korean or Taiwan copies aside from the Yamaha and Ibanez variants.

Some people said that the Gotoh Bridges are the best 3rd party floyd type trems that are available commercially.
I just read on Ultimate Guitar Forums that the 1000 series is just a Korean made OFR, like all the same specs and materials and everything, just made by a Korean staff rather than a German one.

Now all I need to find out is, what's the 1500 series like? Never heard of them, but they're apparrently on the JL-7.

I just read on Ultimate Guitar Forums that the 1000 series is just a Korean made OFR, like all the same specs and materials and everything, just made by a Korean staff rather than a German one.

Now all I need to find out is, what's the 1500 series like? Never heard of them, but they're apparrently on the JL-7.

Just did a search on the Floyd Rose website and nothing comes up for a 1500 series

Only info i can find is - "they have stainless screws and saddles, as well as modified knife edges. The locking nut also had stainless steel clamps and screws" and that it has a hex screw arm holder - from here : http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-instrument-discussion/68196-floyd-rose-1500-series.html

When you put that bridge back in the guitar post a pic. Curious to see how she looks.

I might redo this after a few months my main purpose for painting is not really aesthetics its more to protect the metal from corroding but still I want redo it. I used a brush so I can control the paint and avoid painting over the moving parts.

Back