The Greco-Roman Style

rory_44 said:
i'd disagree. I'd say freestyle requires more strength simply because there are more power based moves. I'm sure you Judo guys can back me up, but when you do a big throw its not power that gets it done, its technique.
Freestyle feels like a lot more of a dogfight.
I found a couple of clips of the best greco wrestler around right now. Karam Gaber. Check it out, this guy beats on world class athletes like they stole something.
http://www.karamgaber.com/video/index.html

I also disagree.Greco requires more strenght than Freestyle, i train with Greco and Freestyle guys and one thing i can say Greco guys are stronger.
Freestyle demands more explosive speed and strenght, in a clich Grecoguys will outwrestle the Freestlyle guys, because they are stronger.

michel said:
I also disagree.Greco requires more strenght than Freestyle, i train with Greco and Freestyle guys and one thing i can say Greco guys are stronger.
Freestyle demands more explosive speed and strenght, in a clich Grecoguys will outwrestle the Freestlyle guys, because they are stronger.

Ok, you're reasoning is poor though. Maybe the Greco guys that you train with happen to be stronger than the freestyle guys. I am a Greco and Freestyle guy. I train for wrestling 6 days a week, 10 months a year, and I'm telling you that there is not an apprecialble difference in the strength of the two styles.
The other possibility is that Greco guys feel stronger because their techniques allows them to man handle you with less effort.

rory_44 said:
Ok, you're reasoning is poor though. Maybe the Greco guys that you train with happen to be stronger than the freestyle guys. I am a Greco and Freestyle guy. I train for wrestling 6 days a week, 10 months a year, and I'm telling you that there is not an apprecialble difference in the strength of the two styles.
The other possibility is that Greco guys feel stronger because their techniques allows them to man handle you with less effort.

It is understood in the wrestling community that Greco is the superior style, and mma has proven that point as well. Im not a wrestler, so I am unbiased in the matter. Greco guys are monsters.

lol, you guys are unbelivable, you're all admiting that you're not wrestlers and yet you feel perfectly comfortable making comments like "Greco guys are stronger," and "Greco is superior." and telling me how the wrestling community feels about things. Stop talking out of your ass.

Greco is superior in terms of learning how to throw. If you want leg attacks, or sprawls (which is fairly crucial to MMA) then you have to know free or folk style.

rory_44 said:
lol, you guys are unbelivable, you're all admiting that you're not wrestlers and yet you feel perfectly comfortable making comments like "Greco guys are stronger," and "Greco is superior."

Greco is superior in terms of learning how to throw. If you want leg attacks, or sprawls (which is fairly crucial to MMA) then you have to know free or folk style.

Defending takedowns is easier than executing throws. Dont have to be a wrestler to follow that logic to its conclusion.

maybe I'm biased because I'm better at greco, but I've always found throws a lot easier than sprawls. If you hit a big toss there is no effort at all.

gungfudisciple said:
Defending takedowns is easier than executing throws. Dont have to be a wrestler to follow that logic to its conclusion.

While this is definately true, in mma the most common takedown is a double leg takedown, which they teach in freestyle, and more importantly dont teach you to defend in greco

pitviper259 said:
While this is definately true, in mma the most common takedown is a double leg takedown, which they teach in freestyle, and more importantly dont teach you to defend in greco

Whats to teach?

"kick out your legs before your opponent pulls them out"

Plus, once theyre in the clinch, the freestle guy is not going to get the drop on the greco guy.

gungfudisciple said:
Whats to teach?

Plus, once theyre in the clinch, the freestle guy is not going to get the drop on the greco guy.

You couldnt have possibly wrestled if you believe thats all there is to it...... i suggest you actually take a class and learn how hard it is to defend a shot before you open your mouth on subjects that you have no experience in. Especially if the person takin you down knows what hes doing its alot more complicated than "kick out your legs before your opponent pulls them out"

gungfu I was trying to answer your post reasonably, but its like pitviper said, its obvious that you've never wrestled before.
Sprawls are a dog fight, but they are also very technical.
As for your clinch comment, Greco guys are still limited to upper body attacks. Freestyle guys can do all the same attacks from the clinch, in addition to legtrips, foot sweeps, and all the other leg attacks.

rory_44 said:
gungfu I was trying to answer your post reasonably, but its like pitviper said, its obvious that you've never wrestled before.
Sprawls are a dog fight, but they are also very technical.
As for your clinch comment, Greco guys are still limited to upper body attacks. Freestyle guys can do all the same attacks from the clinch, in addition to legtrips, foot sweeps, and all the other leg attacks.

Im not saying sprawls cant be hard or complex, but compared to a throw using only upper body leverage to pick up, spin and throw in any direction is much more so, and leg attacks are easier to defend than upper body ones. But thats a non-wrestlers opinion.

gungfudisciple said:
It is understood in the wrestling community that Greco is the superior style, and mma has proven that point as well.
WHAT!?! Superior based on what and in what way? I've only heard that from Nordic countries, where they aren't very good at freestyle. And how has mma proven that point well, just because of Couture & Lindland? First both those guys come from a folkstyle background, wrestled freestyle (Lindland has placed at and won a few international freestyle tourneys) and they use a lot of those moves in mma; after all, you can't sweep or trip in GR.
There are successful wrestlers in mma from all 3 backgrounds (fs, gr, and American folkstyle). Arguing this is moot. But I will throw in, many american wrestlers view greco roman as the style for guys that can't cut it in freestyle.

As for some other thread posts.

For all styles, it is all in the hips, being explosive, good balance, good positioning is vital in all styles of wrestling.

Can you attack the legs in greco roman wrestling?

No, you can't. BUT you can step in between your opponent’s leg and "break" him over yours. This looks like a trip sometimes (and at times wrestlers do hook a leg & get away with it). The refs don't always catch the leg grabbing. At the 2004 Olympics I saw a scramble that more resembled american folkstyle than greco roman, there was one clear leg grab (a damn switch attempt!), two back exposures, and a takedown from the scramble. The ever diligent FILA refs gave one point for all that. I'm amazed they could even see that with their heads so far up their asses.

Rulon won because of the new rules at the 2000 Olympics. They were locked up, and Karelin let go of that lock, thereby awarding Gardner 1 point for breaking a clinch. There was no "judges decision", and there are none in Olympic wrestling.

Under the current rules there are not judges' decisions in Olympic wrestling but up until recently judges' decisions broke ties at the end of overtime.

Under the rules in 2000, an overtime period is wrestled if the score is tied or neither wrestler has scored 3 points. Overtime, a 3 minute period, will end if an over 2-2 tie is broken, either wrestler reaches 3 points, or by pin. If at the end of overtime neither wrestler has broken the tie or reached 3 points the match went to judge's decision. Under those rules it the 3 point mark isn't reached it was possible to have a judges' decision decide an uneven score. Now the decision always went to the wrestler with more points, it was still called a judge's decision. At the 2000 Olympics the wording might have been changed prior to the Olympics but at one point the Karelin-Gardner match would have been called a judge's decision.

Are greco or freestyle wrestlers stronger/more powerful/ more explosive, etc?
This is too broad of a question and doesn't have a clear cut answer. I can think of guys in both styles that aren't strong. Greco roman relies heavily on body lifts from for turns and has big throws, it isn't just brute strength. The moves seem like all strength to the novice because they are difficult for them to learn (the technique factor) and the fact you’re tossing a guy around. It simply takes a lot of technique to execute throws, lifts, doubles against trained opponents. To me this plays into the myth that wrestling is mostly about strength.

Greco roman is the original wrestling form

As stated in another thread the French practiced greco roman wrestling and linked it to "ancient" times. However, the style really comes from a 1800s form of French wrestling; they got their version of wrestling in and still couldn't win.
Also, many now think the 1896 greco roman matches were closer to modern freestyle that greco roman; this is based on accounts of leg attacks being used.

Greco is all big amp throws

Greco is now for its big throws and lifts but most of the takedowns scored are arm drags, shucks and snap downs. Most turns are gut wrenches and some front headlock turns. As stated by another poster, greco does have shot takedowns, like the "high dive", instead of doubling the legs they go for the hips or waist area. Incidentally Matt Hughes, pretty much just a folkstyle wrestler, has used this move in mma matches.

Whats to teach? [about sprawling]

Plus, once theyre in the clinch, the freestle guy is not going to get the drop on the greco guy
oh, lordy, my head hurts. Sprawling is more than just belly flopping down. And freestylers can wrestle in the clinch and in the collar-elbow tie up. The drop snatch single is the bane of greco roman wrestlers crossing over.

On a side note, the sprawl is the next to last defense; the last being funk (which for some is the first and last line of defense).

Greco roman is more technical and thus superior

Now we've come full circle. Since greco is limited to upper body attacks, there is a lot more hand fighting and position fighting. For some this is more skill oriented; however, this conveniently leaves out that GR wrestlers don't have to worry about leg attacks, which is a skill that FS wrestlers need. This has lead some to call greco roman a legal street fight, not exactly the description for a superiorly technical style. I wouldn't say either style is superior.

RuleOfSteel2 said:
WHAT!?! Superior based on what and in what way? I've only heard that from Nordic countries, where they aren't very good at freestyle. And how has mma proven that point well, just because of Couture & Lindland? First both those guys come from a folkstyle background, wrestled freestyle (Lindland has placed at and won a few international freestyle tourneys) and they use a lot of those moves in mma; after all, you can't sweep or trip in GR.
There are successful wrestlers in mma from all 3 backgrounds (fs, gr, and American folkstyle). Arguing this is moot. But I will throw in, many american wrestlers view greco roman as the style for guys that can't cut it in freestyle.

As for some other thread posts.

For all styles, it is all in the hips, being explosive, good balance, good positioning is vital in all styles of wrestling.

Can you attack the legs in greco roman wrestling?

No, you can't. BUT you can step in between your opponent

gungfudisciple, why are you not listening to people who obviously know their stuff? and why are you so resistant to other points of view?
There have been at least three or four intelligent, well thought out posts, perhaps you should just respect more knowledgeable posters.

rory_44 said:
gungfudisciple, why are you not listening to people who obviously know their stuff? and why are you so resistant to other points of view?
There have been at least three or four intelligent, well thought out posts, perhaps you should just respect more knowledgeable posters.

I do respect all knowlege but I feel like standing up for Greco wrestlers because they are the underdog style. I dont think there's more than 500-600 Greco wrestlers in the US. I think that its the style that I would rather study myself but Im not putting down anyone else styles or choices. I appreciate everyone who shares knowlege here.

gungfudisciple said:
I dont think there's more than 500-600 Greco wrestlers in the US.

There are MUCH more than that many Greco wrestlers. There are probably 500-600 in Indiana alone spread across the different age groups, and Indiana is about the middle of the pack as far as freestyle/greco wrestling participation.

gungfudisciple said:
It is understood in the wrestling community that Greco is the superior style, and mma has proven that point as well. Im not a wrestler, so I am unbiased in the matter. Greco guys are monsters.

just because couture was a coach on TUF doesn't mean greco is better. arguably the most prolific wrestlers in the history of MMA (Coleman, Kerr) were freestyle/collegiate wrestlers.

michel said:

i agree and disagree

i agree that they are alot stronger but to say that the free-stylers are more explosive?

i dont know i would hink that the greco guys are alot more powerful

It depends on the strength your talking about.... greco guys often have far superior "hips" to freestyle guys which often makes them feel alot stronger, but freestyle guys fight for takedowns tooth and nail until they get it. I'll just say this, when i was learning freestyle i was taught to "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT" and not give up when i grabbed a leg, to finish. In greco, i was taught not to make a move until i had the throw locked, because at that point, its all a matter of technique rather than power

Back