The Greco-Roman Style

listerstorm

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Now ive heard this term used quite often. I know that Randy does it...but what exactly is the reco roman wrestling style. What makes it so different than the other wrestling styles??

It's rules are just a little different from freestyle and folkstyle. Folksytle wrestling is what you do in college and high-school in the USA. Greco & freestyle are the international systems(oltmpics, world championships etc..) GReco doesn't allow you to grab the legs on takedowns or pinning combinations freestyle does. That's really the only difference between the 2. There are a lo tof scoring differences between folkstyle and freestyle but it would take all day to cover them all. Folkstyle is similar to freestlye in that it allows all types of leg attacks. The main difference is how things are scored. You get 2 points for a takedown while in freestyle you get 1(unless you get back exposure). Folkstyle focuses more on controling your opponant and international is about back exposure.

greco roman, all upper body, freestyle, you get points for how high you throw and opponant as well as how many times you expose his back to the mat. highschool/collegiate wrestling, you get point for take downs, exposing back to mat and pinning. but in highschool you cannot throw high adn slam, safety concern for students.

Greco wrestlers have a lot more throws. They also have stand up clinches where they must break there opponents grip. Have you ever watched olympic wrestling? Remember when Rulon Gardner(USA) out griped Aleksandr Kareline (Russia) for the gold medal. I would also like to add the Aleksandr never lost a match before this, a run of like 13 years. Rulon went on to win a bronze in the last olympics as well.

listerstorm said:
Now ive heard this term used quite often. I know that Randy does it...but what exactly is the reco roman wrestling style. What makes it so different than the other wrestling styles??

Its mostly upper body. They dont shoot for takedowns. They have to clinch up and do hip throws and shit like that

Yea confusing stuff for us guys w/ kung fu backrounds.

I learned a lot about wrestling listening to the earlier ufc's w/ Jeff Blatnick, he's very knowledgeable since he's an olympic gold medalist, plus I remember the big wrestling debate between Triggs/Hughes.

When I think of Greco I use the Keep it stupid thinking philosophy & just think of waist up wrestling, & like you say Randy is the master.

One thing: When you say no leg attacks, does that mean no reaps or footsweeps either? Or can you attack the legs using your own legs?

I

oh..i mean its pretty safe to take a perosn down using the upper body do you think. If you shoot...you can get caught with a knee. Come to look at it...many of randy's takedown does show the meaning of the greco roman..

moonerr said:
Greco wrestlers have a lot more throws. They also have stand up clinches where they must break there opponents grip. Have you ever watched olympic wrestling? Remember when Rulon Gardner(USA) out griped Aleksandr Kareline (Russia) for the gold medal. I would also like to add the Aleksandr never lost a match before this, a run of like 13 years. Rulon went on to win a bronze in the last olympics as well.

that's right, i remember that

Darwinist said:
One thing: When you say no leg attacks, does that mean no reaps or footsweeps either? Or can you attack the legs using your own legs?

I

The big difference is that Greco guys are stronger than freestyle guys,

moodukkwan said:
no leg attacks, means you can't shoot in on your opponent. all upper body, and hip throws.

Yes but can I trip him up and sweep his legs out from under him(basically, can I grapevine his legs with mine?)

Darwinist said:
Yes but can I trip him up and sweep his legs out from under him(basically, can I grapevine his legs with mine?)

Not to my knowledge. The legs are pretty much ignored. No foot sweeps, shots or entanglement.

You can't do any reaps. It's a lot of pummelling and body locks. That's what makes it so damn hard ...

I'd love to be good at it. It's an awesome grappling art, particularly for MMA.

Darwinist said:

I

Greco is often seen as the pinnacle of wrestling because it is the hardest of the 3 styles to learn, is the hardest on the body, and it takes incredible strength and timing. The moves and throws are just beautiful to watch.

Greco-Roman is the term coined by Napoleon's military during the early 1800s to describe the "Greek-Roman" style of wrestling, but the actual art itself goes back thousands of years. Greco was orginally part of the pentathalon in the Olympics, but it got phased out.

ok, just to clear some things up.
1)there is absolutely no attacking the legs in greco. no sweeps, no trips, no entaglments; you can't touch the legs period. If you even use your legs as a pivot point to move your opponents body over you are penalized.
2)Randy Couture is a better greco wrestler, but he also was a division one folkstyle wrestler, which means that hes great at leg take downs too.
3)greco is not seen as the pinnacle of wrestling, and it is not harder on the body.
4)Rulon Gardner did not beat Karelin by outgripping him, he was awarded the judges decision becaue karelin had one more passivity warning than he did.
5) greco guys are not stronger than freestyle guys
6) the rules of greco have been changed this year to make it more spectator friendly, it honestly is like a new sport

moonerr said:
Remember when Rulon Gardner(USA) out griped Aleksandr Kareline (Russia) for the gold medal.

The most boring match I've ever seen.

rory_44, thanks for the clearing some of that up.

Back