The Greco-Roman Style

rory_44 said:
gungfudisciple, why are you not listening to people who obviously know their stuff? and why are you so resistant to other points of view?
There have been at least three or four intelligent, well thought out posts, perhaps you should just respect more knowledgeable posters.

Ok, but why their is no women divison in the Greco style?
Very simple, because their body is not build for it.

michel said:
Ok, but why their is no women divison in the Greco style?
Very simple, because their body is not build for it.

That is not the reason for it. The reason is that Greco is not as big as frestyle.

Wait a minute... where does gator wrasslin fit into all of this. Are takedowns aloud. Jaw clinches? How do u penalize that gator?

Wait a minute... where does gator wrasslin fit into all of this? Are takedowns aloud. Jaw clinches? How do u penalize that gator?

Ok, I see your point about womens wrestling and there not being Greco.
I think its more of a case that womens wrestling is still developing (by which I mean terrible, I HATE womens wrestling). Greco is a lot more technical version of wrestling, and I don't think that women are at the point where they can effectively compete. They still haven't mastered freestyle.
Thats just my point of view.

gungfudisciple said:
Its not just Karelin. Simple logic suggests that it takes more strength to control the opponent without legs.

You ever take a look at Matt Lindland?

colinm said:
here's the thing that bugs me...you're making greco into a "bearhug and lift" contest. upperbody judo throws are all about body positioning and momentum and your hips and they require little strength if you set them up right...granted you don't have a gi in greco, but wouldnt the principles be the same?

i mean, what takes more strength, executing a well timed hip throw, or driving right through your opponent's sprawl on a double leg?

edit: missed your post darwinist...i'd half buy that, i just don't think you'd get too far in greco using all upperbody strength to try to impose your will on an opponent with technique.

You're right about the technique aspect. However in Greco, what you find is that there are a lot more opportunities to "muscle" your way through throws. Technique is extremelty important too, and you sure as hell don't have to look like Karelin to be a great wrestler in Greco.

As for driving through the sprawl, I'd have to say that a greco-style hip throw would require more overall strength (meaning that it requires strength from many parts of the body). If a guy sprawls on you in freestyle you don't want to try and drive straight through him, cause there's a few different moves he can use with your momentum to roll your back to the mat.

If a guy stops your shot with a sprawl, a smart wrestler won't drive into him, he'll cut off at an angle and try to maybe go for a single leg on the outside (or at least that's what I would do). So the throw in Greco would require more raw strength (as a possible substitute for technique).

However your comparison to Judo is correct. You need damn good technique too. Balance, timing, positioning, and technique are all equally as important as strength.

*I should note that I'm no expert on Greco, as I've only competed in a few Greco-style matches in my life.

gungfudisciple said:
I would venture to guess that he is very strong. Looks can be deceiving.

He is strong(and don't look at him today, look at him in the 2000 Olympics when he was leaner). But the kind of strength he had was the kind a good judoka would have. He used his weight well and didn't rely on out-muscling his opponents.

Back