The Godfather - Who gave the best performance?

The Godfather - Who gave the best performance?

• Total voters
No option for De Niro?

Again, I am assuming this is GF1.

In GF2, it's a smorgasbord of brilliant performances.. Pacino, Deniro, Strassberg, Duval, Gazzo and on and on...

To say Calazage/Fredo is the best amongst those, is the highest of praise.

But again, I believe the poll is GF1, but TS could clarify.

Edit: TS did clarify, it is indeed GF1.

Had they given Richard S. Castellano more air time lines I think he could have stolen the movie...

Its tough in the original, I think Pacino and Cazale in the sequel are the best acting in the series but they don't get as much focus here.

I see GF 3 was not included for fear of Sofia Coppola running away with the poll...

Great thread.

Very tough questions because there are so many terrific performances there. The cast is uniformly excellent.

Brando is iconic. Pacino is brilliant. Caan steals every scene he is in. Duvall is his consistently awesome self. Cazale kills a relatively small role and makes Fredo seem like a fully fleshed out character. Keaton and Shire are both terrific. The list goes on and on to great supporting performers like Castellano, Abe Vigoda, Sterling Hayden, Alex Rocco, John Marley.

If I had to choose, it would probably be Pacino because he has the most to do and, if you didn't have him selling Michael's transition from affable, idealistic dude to irredeemably immersed in the business he was not supposed to become a part of, you don't have the essence of the film. That said, I think Brando is right up there with him and I personally have always loved Caan's performance as Sonny.

Cazale's story just makes me sad. Here's a dude who was in, what, five movies? And every one of them was a best picture contender and, in three cases, a best picture winner- The Godfather, Godfather Part II, Dog Day Afternoon, The Conversation, The Deer Hunter. Some absolute classics right there. The poor guy gets cancer at a young age and dies. Just horrible shit. I bet he would have accomplished so much in his career had he lived into the 80s/90s and beyond. Pretty sure he was engaged or in a long-term relationship with Meryl Streep at the time of his death.

Last edited:
I watched 1 and 2 at least 200 times,yeah I know I am sick in the head

Join the club. I can watch either flick from any point and no one is changing the channel

Honorable mention - Sterling Hayden. Abe Vigoda. Alex Rocco

Just drives home how epic that movie was when these guys totally nailed it and werent even a consideration.

I love Marlon Brando, but Fredo makes the first 2 godfather movies. Any Godfather without Cazale sucks.
v_QbAp.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If there wouldn't be The cat on the poll, i would go with Brando.

As someone that watched #1 for the first time ever last week, Brando.

thinking about watching number 2 in the next few days

As someone that watched #1 for the first time ever last week, Brando.

thinking about watching number 2 in the next few days

How did you feel about Godfather? I remember your post saying that first 30 mins in was boring but don't remember seeing an update after that

Back