Crime The Gabby Petito case.

Why does a pale, petite woman have ZERO signs of being physically harmed while a guy with a lean, muscular build and a tan does not. He had leathery skin, yet his face was all marked up, consistent with someone being hit and scratched like they BOTH consistently told the cops throughout the encounter, which you can watch on video.

Lol, at turning an ugly white dude like Bryan Laundry into a person of color. That's some deep white privilege rationalizing right there.

Joy Reid the race baiting journalist just did a story on “missing white women syndrome” where the media only focuses on missing white women while ignoring missing people of color. She seemed almost mad that this girl had the audacity to be murdered and brought up the case of some 24 year old black male with one arm that was reportedly acting strange for days, wrecks his jeep in a ravine, and goes missing with his clothes and cellphone and other items left in the vehicle. Guys goes crazy and wrecks his car and wanders off naked-and they think this should be national news?

Callers don't know shit....How many times have people called reporting a crime, and an innocent person who was doing nothing wrong, gets killed?

Most people are white knights.....If they see any altercation between a guy/chick, they are siding with the chick 99.9% of the time regardless of circumstance...specially under these circumstances where you are driving around and don't quite get to see that well.
And how many times have they called and been correct? Alot as well.

I'm sure theres many missing white women not on the news. She was a youtuber so that helped stoke the media interest. Did everyone forget Walt Harris' daughter being all over the news?

Joy Reid the race baiting journalist just did a story on “missing white women syndrome” where the media only focuses on missing white women while ignoring missing people of color. She seemed almost mad that this girl had the audacity to be murdered and brought up the case of some 24 year old black male with one arm that was reportedly acting strange for days, wrecks his jeep in a ravine, and goes missing with his clothes and cellphone and other items left in the vehicle. Guys goes crazy and wrecks his car and wanders off naked-and they think this should be national news?
There's a whole long wiki article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Its identity and culture. Not racism.
Why do white women follow the missing white girl? Because they identify with that girl the same way black people identify with a cop beating or shooting a black guy in an altercation. They understand the nuances that the other race doesn't get.
They can see themselves in those ppl.
That's why.

Its identity and culture. Not racism.
Why do white women follow the missing white girl? Because they identify with that girl the same way black people identify with a cop beating or shooting a black guy in an altercation. They understand the nuances that the other race doesn't get.
They can see themselves in those ppl.
That's why.

I don't know about the nuances, but what's the demographics of young couples doing the "van life" thing in the US?
I know one of my sisters did much the same thing, going around the country picking fruit and surfing with her boyfriend in a '60s VW campervan when she was about 19.

A prerequisite for the damsel in distress is likely attractiveness. Multiple studies have shown a majority of white men exclude black women as dating options, with almost half describing themselves as having rare or zero attraction to black women. All races were shown to find underweight or average-weight women more attractive. Obesity is approximately 20% more prevalent in black women vs white women. If the majority of a population is white, and these stories are fueled in large part by what people find beautiful and therefore place a higher value upon, it's likely part of the equation. We understand missing men regardless of the race does not garner much media attention. Is that explained by sexism? I am not convinced the explanation for "Missing white women syndrome" is racist media or society. I do think if Gabby Petito was hideously ugly, we wouldn't be talking about it. I also do not think the findings mentioned above are solely the result of racist white people. For example, black male faces are considered more attractive than white male faces. Black female faces are considered least attractive by all races. A possible explanation is lower perceived femininity, as this is known to correlate with lower attractiveness ratings of female faces.

A recent review of "MWWS" states physical attractiveness was not factored into any previous analysis. It's listed among a small group of potential factors that need to be included along with socioeconomic status and the potential for white women to be victims of crimes that feature unique or newsworthy characteristics. For example, living in a van in the middle of nowhere, eating vegetables with a jealous and controlling boyfriend. Most importantly, there are limitations in the data "MWWS" is based upon. An overview:

Zach Sommers, Missing White Woman Syndrome: An Empirical Analysis of Race and Gender Disparities in Online News Coverage of Missing Persons, 106 J. Crim. L. & Criminology (2016).

Last edited:
A prerequisite for the damsel in distress is likely attractiveness. Multiple studies have shown a majority of white men exclude black women as dating options, with almost half describing themselves as having rare or zero attraction to black women. All races were shown to find underweight or average-weight women more attractive. Obesity is approximately 20% more prevalent in black women vs white women. If the majority of a population is white, and these stories are fueled in large part by what people find beautiful and therefore place a higher value upon, it's likely part of the equation. We understand missing men regardless of the race does not garner much media attention. Is that explained by sexism? I am not convinced the explanation for "Missing white women syndrome" is racist media or society. I do think if Gabby Petito was hideously ugly, we wouldn't be talking about it. I also do not think the findings mentioned above are solely the result of racist white people. For example, black male faces are considered more attractive than white male faces. Black female faces are considered least attractive by all races. A possible explanation is lower perceived femininity, as this is known to correlate with lower attractiveness ratings of female faces.

A recent review of "MWWS" states physical attractiveness was not factored into any previous analysis. It's listed among a small group of potential factors that need to be included along with socioeconomic status and the potential for white women to be victims of crimes that feature unique or newsworthy characteristics. For example, living in a van in the middle of nowhere, eating vegetables with a jealous and controlling boyfriend. Most importantly, there are limitations in the data "MWWS" is based upon. An overview:

Zach Sommers, Missing White Woman Syndrome: An Empirical Analysis of Race and Gender Disparities in Online News Coverage of Missing Persons, 106 J. Crim. L. & Criminology (2016).

I think there are several instances at play here. One is certainly attractiveness. Another is odd circumstances where the person goes missing. Are they in another country? Is there any chance they possibly were kidnapped and forced into prostitution, which was a fad in the mid 2000s like the rumors of Natalie Holloway. Is there an obvious suspect-the bf; husband, registered sex offender in the area?

And another big factor is are they attractive? Gabby was very attractive and her disappearance was fishy from the start. Laci Peterson was pregnant which was a factor. Is class an issue? You don’t hear about lower class people missing in general.

And finally, the race angle. Maybe so many women of color go missing and don’t catch that media attention because there is so much violence and murder in the community. Missing black women get lost in the sea of violence. There are so many black people killed in shootings that a missing woman from Chicago is not going to receive national attention. Just like shootings happen so often in the black community that the only time it becomes national news is when a cop kills a black person. Cop kills white people very rarely get any attention, but every black man shot by police is the potential next big story. I think the media hopes this is the case because protests and anger are good clickbait stories. Again, to go back to the sheer number of black males women and children shot, their communities can’t seem to muster the same leve of rage and caring unless it is a cop that shoots someone-even when that person is armed and a lifelong piece of shit

And ultimately, it is up to the media and what stories they decide to run with and what stories catch the attention of social media.

She's entirely welcome to cover mising persons of color with her National platform, yet I'm sure she hasn't. Just a bitter racist and exposed homophobe that somehow still has a job on a national "news" station. This is the state of certain people curr Instead of sympathy for the victim/victim's family they make it about themselves and somehow twist it into some racial culture war bullshit for clicks. Absolute trash human.

She's entirely welcome to cover mising persons of color with her National platform, yet I'm sure she hasn't. Just a bitter racist and exposed homophobe that somehow still has a job on a national "news" station. This is the state of certain people curr Instead of sympathy for the victim/victim's family they make it about themselves and somehow twist it into some racial culture war bullshit for clicks. Absolute trash human.

I mean, there are a lot of stories about missing white women but her criticisms sounds like she is mad at them for getting attention for being missing. And she does have a National platform to which she could bring up such stories

I don't know about the nuances, but what's the demographics of young couples doing the "van life" thing in the US?
I know one of my sisters did much the same thing, going around the country picking fruit and surfing with her boyfriend in a '60s VW campervan when she was about 19.
It skews white, although one of the biggest stars, Jennelle Eliana, is a black woman. Although FWIW, a lot of people think she's an industry plant.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/jennelle-eliana

I mean, there are a lot of stories about missing white women but her criticisms sounds like she is mad at them for getting attention for being missing. And she does have a National platform to which she could bring up such stories
With all due respect, I don't think that's a rational interpretation. You're taking this a bit too personally.

With all due respect, I don't think that's a rational interpretation. You're taking this a bit too personally.

not taking it personally at all. She is complaining about other cases not covered and she has a platform yet fails to do what she wants other news agencies to do

not taking it personally at all. She is complaining about other cases not covered and she has a platform yet fails to do what she wants other news agencies to do
That's a fair criticism. However I don't think saying she's mad at them for getting attention is.

Back