The Frode post good kung fu thread.

I appreciate the stuff you've brought to the thread. Before this I was pretty certain that Wing Chun was absolute garbage. But from the stuff you and Sinister posted it's obvious that well trained Wing Chun is very dangerous in the situations it's designed for. Wing Chun guys can develop enormous power and speed in their range. My critique is that Wing Chun only really has one effective range and as a system doesn't really have any way to force their opponents into that range. A trained combat sports athlete could probably do some serious damage in the mid-range with the Wing Chun mindset and system because they'd already have their own methods of getting to the range Wing Chun is effective in.

But the question still remains would it be more cost-effective to invest the time to learn the Wing Chun system instead of just investing the time to become more proficient at the systems they already train.

Well thats good. A more open minded and more sensible response about Wing Chun on an mma forum.
As u say it is clearly true
"Its obvious well trained wing chun is very dangerous for the situations its designed for".

Well said.
And what are those situations - barehanded without gloves, if someone or more than one person attacks you. Finish them quickly in close. A real fight is not in and out like sparring. It will be more like WC.

Wing Chun really only has one range that it's effective in. If they're not in your face machine-gunning punches and blocks they're pretty much screwed. Even a hobbyist boxer will have an understanding of outfighting, midfighting, and infighting whereas the wing chun guy will be confined to its one range.

If a boxer puts their forehead in a wing chun guys throat and fires off right uppercuts and left hooks with no space the wing chun guy is screwed. If a boxer out fights and only lands long range hooks or choice one-twos, the wing chun guy is screwed; and the boxer will have such an advantage because the wing chun style of fighting stance completely telegraphs their offensive and defensive options unlike a boxer's stance. Lyte Burly was 100% accurate when he said wing chun tells you what their weapons are before they use them. It's really easy for a boxer to read and counter their weapons.

The only situation where a wing chun guy can win is mid-fighting and only if he can get his offense going before the boxer knocks him the fuck out with something. Yeah you can say that wing chun has side kicks, groin kicks, and knee stomps but they don't spend any appreciable time training them compared to their whirling dervish style of blocks and short strikes. I'd take a boxer outfighting over a wing chun guy's kicking pedigree 9/10 times.

The only real exception to this are the wing chun guys who train a lot of sweeps. I could 100% see a skilled wing chun guy footsweeping a boxer and taking them down. Like in the first video Sinister posted. But even then it's a toss up because wing chun doesn't train any appreciable ground work so they might not even have an advantage over a boxer they managed to foot sweep to the ground. When you add in that most boxers have done some cross training with wrestling/BJJ/Judo or are at least more athletic than average compared to the miniscule amount of physical preparation Wing Chun guys put in, well, you're fucked.

Old school Kung Fu guys who train a shit ton of physical prep, spar in live situations, and have a ton of aggression from their mental game and Qi concepts will probably fare a lot better. But I'd still pick the average boxer over the average Kung Fu guy any day.

Some little known facts about kung fu are the depth of technical understanding, physical preparation, and mental game they have. Old school Kung Fu has concepts like Critical Distance which is their way of hitting you without being hit and their understanding of the different distances/ranges of combat.

They spend a lot of time cultivating aggression with their idea of Qi and their self-defense first focus. Obviously the self defense mcdojos are trash but legit Kung Fu has some pretty brutal and intense short bouts of sparring. They don't go hard often but when they do go hard it's usually close to 100%.

When you combine the insane amount of strength, cardio, and flexibility Kung Fu prescribes you start building pretty effective fighters.

But as always it takes an exceptional Kung Fu or Wing Chun guy to beat a below average Combat Sports athlete.

Your other points are a bit hit and miss but I'll respond to some here.

- Yes I agree WC is mainly focussed on in-fighting and specializes there. I dont see them claiming otherwise, no system is complete by itself.

- In very close range vs boxer? WC is not just linear but circular. Elbow time, downward, diagonal or horizontal. Boxer is getting fucked up without a ref to break it or space to move. Maybe a headbutt would work.

- Yes footsweeps in WC are effective. No need to follow them to the ground. Soccer kick or stomp or rapid strikes when they are down or trying to get up - game over.

- Yes a well know limitation of WC is it trains only against WC. Bring in boxers and train chi sau range it can adapt nicely. WC can already be done like dirty boxing in close with the hand parrying and control.

- It can also be done with more clinch work and collar and elbow, there are ma y ways of fighting with WC like there are many styles of boxing.

- most boxers train Judo or BJJ? Unlikely. But in that event cross training a striking with grappling art is recommended for all. And I personally feel Asian martialarts like Judo and BJJ gel much better with WC than with boxing.

- Yes old school kung fu and alot of old time training is badass and hardcore. Alot of it makes u much more combat conditioned than any modern sport combat training.

Also for the record, I see Phillip Bayer beating Lyte Burly in short and violent order once he gets to close range. If Burly can keep him at range maybe a diffetrnt story, but WC has nasty kicks as well altho true they often dont spend enough time training them. But the problem fighting a guy like that is once u give them an opening at that range...it is over.
Lyte Burly also uses WC with boxing which can be great also. But very good WC is super dangerous in close.

Also, even at an older age, he KO's Chuck Liddell now in less than 10 seconds altho perhaps not much of an achievent since Chuck has no chin lol.
But maybe there is sense in this type of training if u want your martial arts to work when ur older as well eh?

Last edited:
idk how a guy can love muay thai/boxing andkung fu at same time they are complete opposites in application and technique

kung fu guys mostly feel u dont need to use any real force energy its about perfect technique and hitting vital parts vs combat striking arts are about hitting hard and being tough realizing fiightiing takes griit when the opponent means business that iit isnt a action movie where they will just fall over after a siingle hand strike

i was a kenpo karate brown belt under a second degree cause ii loved how beautiful the hand techniques looked like 5 swords ect but it greatly interfered with our sport fighting the guy who taught me was training to fight mma too and was always tryiing to find ways to add kenpo into mma striking and figured out it didnt really work as the 2 styles really conflict especially when gloves added

i first started in boxiing when i was 13 2005 around middle of 2006 ii started doing kenpo karate and jeet kune do i feel tryiing this for a year really hurt my striking during that time as was taught to then fight southpaw and trying to get off on quick hand strikes and parrying. i do feel they both have great applications for self defense but ii feel you cannot mix the 2 in real fiightiing unless you are super athletic strong people keep bringing up tony ferg for parrying some of pettis's punches but tony iis tony he isnt average guy

Last edited:
You dont know what the fuck your talking about.
Time for you to find those flyings pigs then..

Of course aside from the WC oblique or knee kick which Jones and others have repeatedly shown works, WC has a side kick.

In fact, I believe the WC side kick was one the early ones to make an appearance in the western world, since Bruce Lee brought it. Yes Bruce Lee's famous side kick comes from Wing Chun.

View attachment 655499
View attachment 655503

The way Bruce does it in the movies is identical to the way he learned it in WC.

Its in the second form, Chum Kiu.

man i feel kung fu iis really hard to find real athentic from how it was taught since their isnt a real belt system liike bjj judo karate the jkd i started with was taught by a guy who actually learnt from books and dvds it turned out lol stopped training with him when a 2nd degree kenpo karate guy came in tot rain with us cause he was also adding kenpo into our system and guy told me that it was all bullshit seeing them displaying techniques side by side even as a white belt i could see a massive difference

the reason i say this is guys can add thiings to what they teach and in kung fu arts i feel this happens a lot as guys try to add their own flair its very hard feel to find authentic kung fu styles taught perfectly the way it was suppose to

There some maybe took some techniques form one art, some from other and mix them.
i was a kenpo karate brown belt under a second degree cause ii loved how beautiful the hand techniquesy
Was it effective? How kenpo is tought? Grading system?

-
About " vital points ", almost all TMAs know them, but how applicable this is for sport?

There some maybe took some techniques form one art, some from other and mix them.

Was it effective? How kenpo is tought? Grading system?

-
About " vital points ", almost all TMAs know them, but how applicable this is for sport?

kenpo karate is a pure self defense system they dont really spar at all has like 3 to 6 hit combinations like vs punch kick ect tbh lots of bs the short attacks do best but the more moves u have iin a set combo your gonna fuck it up

heres some examples

man i feel kung fu iis really hard to find real athentic from how it was taught since their isnt a real belt system liike bjj judo karate the jkd i started with was taught by a guy who actually learnt from books and dvds it turned out lol stopped training with him when a 2nd degree kenpo karate guy came in tot rain with us cause he was also adding kenpo into our system and guy told me that it was all bullshit seeing them displaying techniques side by side even as a white belt i could see a massive difference

the reason i say this is guys can add thiings to what they teach and in kung fu arts i feel this happens a lot as guys try to add their own flair its very hard feel to find authentic kung fu styles taught perfectly the way it was suppose to

Lineage is very important in maintaining authenticity especually in Chinese marial arts. That is how far from the source, so 2nd generation, 3rd generation etc. There are alot of low level guys setting themselves up as teachers in Chinese arts and other TMA's. Add to that the general lack of live testing u have a recipe for poor skill development.

In WC with Yip Man as the modern source, you have various lineages. The Wong Shun Leung lineage I would rate the highest because it he is a direct student and pressure tested it in challenge fights.

bruce-lee-yip-man-b.jpg

So people see a high level WSL student like Phillip Bayer and they say "WTF, I thought WC was trash but that is some dangerous stuff that is effective and works in its range"

It is a quality control issue more than anything. Add more cross training and live testing and you get to the level of legit all around combat effectiveness.

Very long video. Not really pure kung fu related. But worth a listen when you got time

Very long video. Not really pure kung fu related. But worth a listen when you got time

Yes good stuff here
But predictably for any mma forum, this thread dies when someone actually posts good kung fu.
Its like they have a set up in their mind that 'all kung fu is trash' then when they see some stuff that works they freak out and dissapear. I find it lame and a bit cowardly tbh so I dont bother arguing it much anymore.

MMA = TMA's cross trained with sparring and very dangerous strikes removed, leading to a natural evolution.

Thats it. We all know the history. Wrestling is the most ancient art of them all. If u spar with limited strikes you learn timing and application of techniques.

There are multiple dimensions of martial arts training for different situations and needs. Most kung fu styles need to updated to suit the times and what we know of modern training methods.

Just like pure boxing is garbage in mma without adaptation, and pretty bad bare knuckle without adaptation.
So it is with any art. They all need to go through that forge to develop and reach their potential.

Wing Chun is designed for real life not a sparring match or kickboxing bout. The training and strategy reflects this approach.

Will wait KS and FT posts with the same soul inside……. The same soul. ;)

You do realise that 90% of the time nobody here has any idea what the fuck you are talking about right?

Obviously English is like your 3rd language but please, take the awful unintelligable commentary somewhere else.

"The same soul...the same soul"

Ok. Good. Now please go take your medicines.

Obviously English is like your 3rd language but please, take the awful unintelligable commentary somewhere else.
<45>.

I'll adivse to you talk about kicboxers versus real life in kicboxing gym not there. :)

Wing Chun is designed for real life not a sparring match or kickboxing bout. The training and strategy reflects this approach.

I don't doubt that some kung fu guys and styles are good but the dude in this video would get his ass kicked no matter where you put him.
And if a guy sucks at sparring or kickboxing that means his striking is bad and he isn't capable of defending himself in general.
The whole reason people do combat sports is to learn to defend and avoid attacks in full speed and with mean intentions in a
relatively safe environment. If you don't do that you will never learn fighting. How you expect to handle an attack in real life, if you have not trained to do so?

The dude here, you can tell he is not very good.
High center of gravity, no footwork, not very balanced and every technique he demonstrates is essentially him, avoiding a single punch or kick and then delivering a series of blows afterwards. Typical TMA demonstration. What's the point in that?

The wing chun guy @Frode Falch posts has at least a good solid posture and talks about some interesting stuff.
He at least passes the initial eye test as someone who could handle himself.

The wing chun guy @Frode Falch posts has at least a good solid posture and talks about some interesting stuff.

Yeah he got a open and realistic point of view.

I don't doubt that some kung fu guys and styles are good but the dude in this video would get his ass kicked no matter where you put him.
And if a guy sucks at sparring or kickboxing that means his striking is bad and he isn't capable of defending himself in general.
The whole reason people do combat sports is to learn to defend and avoid attacks in full speed and with mean intentions in a
relatively safe environment. If you don't do that you will never learn fighting. How you expect to handle an attack in real life, if you have not trained to do so?

The dude here, you can tell he is not very good.
High center of gravity, no footwork, not very balanced and every technique he demonstrates is essentially him, avoiding a single punch or kick and then delivering a series of blows afterwards. Typical TMA demonstration. What's the point in that?

You have your opinion but it is typical of someone ignorant of the system and other MA in general.

The guy could handle himself vert well at close range and such skills can be adapted in mma in close for example against the cage or clinch range.
The power generated at close range is significant.

Yes, footwork and entry has to be trained also but that is not what they are training in that vid, they are training counters and close range reactions.

Sparring is not fighting. You cannot train your strikes to full power in sparring, and some strikes like elbows u cant really do much at all. So u have to compromise. The sparring in WC will therfore be more controlled and look quite different and generally will be 'light'.

Conditioning can be trained separately.

Kickboxing is a fusion of karate and boxing. WC is not kickboxing, it is in-fighting.

I agree that at range WC is incomplete by itself but when space is restricted or the attacker comes forward like they would in real life is where it can be applied very effectively.

Good padwork drills

WC does not claim to be great at all the ranges it has its area of speciality which it focusses on.

It CAN work in mma but the strategy
Is not designed for that and would look very different and would mean u either close them up against the cage like Diaz or Tony Ferguson style, or wait for them to come to u like Silva does below (who learned some WC and JKD from Dan Inosanto)

Last edited:
You have your opinion but it is typical of someone ignorant of the system and other MA in general.

The guy could handle himself vert well at close range and such skills can be adapted in mma in close for example against the cage or clinch range.
The power generated at close range is significant.

Yes, footwork and entry has to be trained also but that is not what they are training in that vid, they are training counters and close range reactions.

Sparring is not fighting. You cannot train your strikes to full power in sparring, and some strikes like elbows u cant really do much at all. So u have to compromise. The sparring in WC will therfore be more controlled and look quite different and generally will be 'light'.

Conditioning can be trained separately.

Kickboxing is a fusion of karate and boxing. WC is not kickboxing, it is in-fighting.

I agree that at range WC is incomplete by itself but when space is restricted or the attacker comes forward like they would in real life is where it can be applied very effectively.

Good padwork drills

WC does not claim to be great at all the ranges it has its area of speciality which it focusses on.

It CAN work in mma but the strategy
Is not designed for that and would look very different and would mean u either close them up against the cage like Diaz or Tony Ferguson style, or wait for them to come to u like Silva does below (who learned some WC and JKD from Dan Inosanto)

I actually started with WC when I was a kid and then Japanese TMA before turning to boxing.
So I have tried both approaches. I also have good friends who trained WC in other schools and more time than me.
If someone doesn't try anything else might think that he knows how to fight, because the way the training is, you can't really gauge your skill.
Then you go in a boxing gym and even in partner drills in your first month, you have to defend earnestly and get your head out of the way. It's right then you understand if after all these years in the other arts you have learned at least to defend a single honest punch.

It's a necessary experience IMO and whether you prefer TMA or not you should try it.

I actually started with WC when I was a kid and then Japanese TMA before turning to boxing.
So I have tried both approaches. I also have good friends who trained WC in other schools and more time than me.
If someone doesn't try anything else might think that he knows how to fight, because the way the training is, you can't really gauge your skill.
Then you go in a boxing gym and even in partner drills in your first month, you have to defend earnestly and get your head out of the way. It's right then you understand if after all these years in the other arts you have learned at least to defend a single honest punch.

It's a necessary experience IMO and whether you prefer TMA or not you should try it.

I dont disagree completely about standard WC training lacking proper sparring. But again, not the style but the approach.

Light sparring can flow from chi sau nicely without losing form.
But in my view hard sparring doesnt work for WC. Chi sau, light sparring, or fight.

Some nice more freestyle chi sau here

Back