• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"The first European to win a belt"?!

Russia is in Asia, but Belarus is in eastern Europe.

Just because it was part of the former Soviet Union doesn't change it's geographic location to Asia.

Here's the link to the list of countries in Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Asia

Ukraine, Belarus, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Hungary, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, East Germany & Slovenia are all former Soviet States and none of them are in Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Europe

You see, Belarus is not the same as Russia.

So Arlovski is a European champion same as Bas Rutten.

wat

These countries were ever under USSR.

He's an Idiot. What can you do...

How is that a "derp" post?

I didn't know overeem was born in Britian. So I pulled the trigger on that one a little too early. Thus calling your post a derp post, because I disagreed with the next point you were making.

Pretty much all the fighters get affiliated with the country they were born and raised in, regardless of where they live and train in the present.
For example: Kampmann, Cung le, Mark Hunt etc.
There is no other reason as to why they are doing it, but promoting.
It stings in the eyes really.

hGCzJ.gif

The derp in this post.. Too much.. Can't handle..

I know it's asking a lot, but can you save this kind of posting for the South Park forums?

ufc is not about making mma a legit sport, it's about entertainment and money...zuffa don't give a shit about facts as long as theyre making dough

don't Bas and Arlovski both live in and spend all their time in USA? seems like a legit distinction to me. Gus is walking around Sweden or whatever in that vid; you didn't see that from bas/andrei

Royce moved to southern Cal long before he started fighting. Is he not the first Brazilian champ then? Why do they use these stupid marketing ploys when they are so marginally correct?

I never should have mentioned Oleg, in my original post.
This went fast from "Russia is in Asia..." to USSR and what not.

a2q3xk.gif

This just in, if Rory wins the title he will be the first person with brown hair to hold a title!

Jon
It's like Cain being the first Mexican champ, Jon being the youngest champ and so on, they don't give a fuck as long as they think it can help sell the fights.

Jones is the youngest champ. Tournaments don't count for shit.

Look at 21:30

They say that Gustafsson may become the first european to get a belt.
Bas did win one.
Andrei Arlovski held his for a few fights.
If I were to go far, I could bring up Oleg Taktarov when he was in UFC 6.

Don

don't Bas and Arlovski both live in and spend all their time in USA? seems like a legit distinction to me. Gus is walking around Sweden or whatever in that vid; you didn't see that from bas/andrei

What, because Bas and Arlovski have moved to the US they are no longer Swedish and dutch.

In what fucked up world does that make sense. They are still European, no matter what.

He is the first European to win the LHW belt for the UFC. They should probably specify.

They also did not acknowledge that Dan Henderson held two belts in Pride, only BJ and Randy were mentioned. It was not qualified by saying they held belts in two UFC weight classes, it just said the highest levels of the sport. Pride qualifies as the big leagues, and there is no excuse not to recognize Dan for holding two belts simultaneously because Zuffa has all the rights to Pride. duh.

EDIT: I just realized you may be talking about being acknowledged in the VIDEO.
I shall leave my original post up and take pride in my MMA Debation Retardation.

--------------------------------------------------------
Im pretty sure they did acknowledge Hendo.

Im positive they said something about holding the MW and WW Pride belts at the same time...

AND UFC 75 WAS BASED AROUND THAT EXACT DETAIL!
Well the MW PRIDE belt..

Although there was never a PRIDE belt brought into the cage, or wrapped around Quinton's waist above the UFC LHW belt...
That was still what that fight was billed as.

They probably meant first European to win the LHW belt.

Back