The fighter to dethrone Jon Jones is probably not in the UFC yet.

To bad Struve got his medical condition.

if anderson silva and machida conceived a baby together, he may be able to dethrone jbj.

Lets face it... To beat jones you need to be extremely athletic, fast, and have an amazing take down defense or offensive wrestling. There are a bunch of amazing LHW fighters in the UFC but........ none of them have the pure athletic ability that JJ has. The only fighter that has a shot is Cormier at the moment and I have my doubt about that as well. So......... What up and coming fighters has the credentials to beat Jones?

cormier is amazingly fast and athletic? what?

cormier is amazingly fast and athletic? what?

I'd say Cormier is more of an explosive athlete with power. He is more quick than fast. Kind of like a d-lineman who has a good 10 yard burst as opposed to the WR who has a good 40 yard dash time.

That's the point of this thread, Jones' supposed athletic greatness (a fallacy). If he was so athletic, coordinated, agile and fast then he'd be doing what his brothers are doing. He's not and there's a reason for that. He can't catch a football and he can't dunk a basketball. GSP can dunk a fucking basketball at 5'10 if you gave him a few tries and I'd even bet on it (yes, post-ACL reconstructed St-Pierre).

BTW, who fuckin cares about supplexing other dudes when you can just knock them the fuck out? Gus can actually do that and has done it in the UFC, Jones has to get it to the ground to get a technical knockout with GnP at best. Wanna know a guy that can supplex other big guys too and never wrestled in his life? Rich Franklin, not exactly a wrestler, let alone anything that proves immense athleticism. See the David "The Crow" Loiseau fight, he does it to him multiple times and beautifully at that while he has broken bones and sprained ligaments.

Tier-1 athlete Jon "Bones" Jones failing to simply dunk a basketball...

He looks clumsy here, uncoordinated (even the ball hits him ffs lol) and has a 3" vertical or so. :icon_lol: Welcome to reality guys. You bought into the Zuffa hype machine and drank Jones' kool-aid along with him.

So because he can't dunk he isn't a great athlete? Why don't we just have guys dunk a basketball as a requirement to get into the UFC?

Anyone with eyes already knows that Jones has fairly weak legs, relative to other athletes and even other MMA fighters. His legs are twigs and to some extent size does indicate strength. His clinch takedowns and even his shots are fairly dependent on his upper body strength, and his most effective strikes are elbows from the guard (which use no leg power at all).

Because of his weight distribution, Jones has a much larger upper body than most light heavyweights. This gives him a huge advantage in the clinch, which is where he dominates.

It's not like Jones has to be the best physically in every respect. I'd wager Shogun, Sonnen, Machida and Rashad all have stronger legs than Jon. It's a fighting sport, not a vertical jump contest.

Maybe he will lose to a fighter who isnt really athletic but rather just have his number.

Outside the UFC, the only non-heavyweight who I think can beat Jones is Anthony Johnson.

His striking is far better technically and far more powerful than Jones' striking (a fact proven by Johnson outstriking and nearly stopping Arlovski, who Jones admits gets the best of him striking in training.) He's also a Southpaw, which can trouble Jones, and is very athletic, fast, strong, and powerful. He has the wrestling base to keep it standing, the chin to weather anything Jones throws at him, and his striking is considerably better than Jones. And he's a huge, tall, long LHW as well. How he ever made WW is beyond me.

I think he might have the power necessary to KO Jones early. I question if he has the cardio to last 5 rounds though. Even more unfortunately for Rumble, he's proven to be susceptible to eyepokes; Jones' best weapon.

I think he's got a chance if the UFC brings him back, but I doubt they make it easy for him to get a chance at Jon.

Back