Movies THE EQUALIZER 3 (Second-Best All Time Labor Day Opening, $70 Million Global Weekend Gross)

Box Office: ‘Equalizer 3’ Pushes Summer Domestic Revenue to $4B in Post-Pandemic First

Sony’s The Equalizer 3 — reuniting director Antonie Fuqua and Denzel Washington — is doing just the trick at the box office.

The movie is providing the final boost needed to push domestic summer box office to $4 billion for the first time in the post-pandemic era in a much-needed boost for Hollywood studios and theater owners. Equalizer 3 is also headed for the second-best Labor Day opening of all time with as much as $43.5 million.

The industry looks to have achieved the $4 billion milestone on Friday, although final numbers are still being tabulated. According to Comscore, $4 billion represents a 16.3 percent gain over 2022’s $3.43 billion summer. And the deficit from summer 2019 — when revenue hit $4.34 billion — has decreased from 15 percent before Barbenheimer to 7.8 percent. A final 2023 summer number will be released once Labor Day wraps.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/equalizer-3-box-office-opening-1235580551/

I watched this on release day and enjoyed it, perhaps not quite as good as the first two but the scenery and setting were good on the eyes and it still had the classic Equaliser feel

Im surprised this is doing so well.

I watched the second one recently and it's not bad. Seems like the general consensus is this one is a bit better

Good to hear because I think it was Equalizer 2 was significantly worse than the first one.

You can watch it online but it’s from someone filming in the theatre.

This film franchise was already kind of woke by having Denzel play a character who was originally white in the source material.
Wouldn't a white equalizer just be the movie taken?

John Wick does it for me because Keanu Reaves seems like a stand up dude who just really loves movies, but he's a shitty actor. Physically, great. One of the best action stars in a long time, tbh. But he delivers lines in a way that makes Dave Bautista seem like a perennial Oscar nominee.

John Wick allows Keanu to do what he does best (physicality; fight scenes) while minimizing what he does worst (delivering a line or expressing an emotion that isn’t either complete apathy or existential crisis).

The Equalizer is a weird premise to me. Denzel is certainly good in an action role but the dude is old (68 years old). He is, however, an astounding actor with one of the best resumes in all of film. The dude can act his ass off.

Guess I just don't get why Hollywood constantly has older but very capable actors doing the action shit. I mean, I know Bruce Willis was doing 5 minute scenes for tons of money because of his brain thing, but imagine being 70 years old and going to work means filming a fight scene even though you can deliver impactful, heartfelt, convincing dialog. That shit sucks.

I do love Denzel tho so I'm still gonna watch it. You know... Instead of Taken 89 or whatever they've thrown Liam Neeson's corpse into these days.

This film franchise was already kind of woke by having Denzel play a character who was originally white in the source material.

If "woke" ever meant anything at all, it sure as fuck doesn't anymore.

Come to think of it, Melissa Leo's character Susan from the first two movies was sort of a genderbent on a similar character from the original series, who we only know by his agency codename Control, played by the late Robert Lansing.

018d68c86b841e470e6bf55509583751
Edward-Woodward-and-Robert-Lansing.jpg

The difference in the TV series, their friendship was on much shakier ground due to Control not liking McCall using his skills to perform vigilante justice (though quite tame compared to Denzel's McCall) and McCall being disgusted whenever Control tries to stop him helping people due to the "politics" of the situation.

So he was bosch or veronica mars then.

Kind of and a bit of Batman in that while he performed vigilante justice, he worked within the law and even assisted the police, heck some episodes had him go against more extreme vigilantes.

Back