The end of the wrestler era?

This is true. Pure wrestling has no finishing moves. People may argue a slam on someones head, but thats just a by product of a takedown and a takedown isn’t mean to knock someone out, and is extremely rare. A slam KO is rare than a spinning wheel kick ko.

I would argue that in the past wrestlers benefited a lot from the US judging environment that weighs top control so heavily and a lot of guys from BJJ backgrounds showed them too much respect fighting from the bottom. In more recent years though I think "just stand up" has become a lot more popular(it existed before but moreso a few fighters like Chuck) , fighters basically disrespect the wrestler giving up their backs and daring them to do something about it.

Actually I think a lot of the reason Dagastani style fighters have done well recently is that they are a reaction against this, wrestlers who do have the ability to punish "just stand up" and a lot of modern fighters really they don't have a fall back from those tactics, they can't fight technically off of their backs.

US wrestlers I think tend to have the disadvantage that they learn their skills at school/collage, their less likely to be involved in private dojo culture were as someone who say learns BJJ its more likely they might also get drawn into MT at a young age.

I would argue as well thought he UFC have tended to filter out wrestlers, I think its quite likely that were Phil Davis still in the UFC right now he'd be champ for example.

Last edited:
That's because UFC rarely signs good wrestling prospect anymore nowadays, especially American wrestler. Who did UFC sign beside Bo Nickal this year?
Who are the other prospects? The other real prospect that was an Olympic gold medalist that a lot of people were excited over picked a WWE career first to secure the bag over choosing mma/UFC and making very little money starting out.

This is true. Pure wrestling has no finishing moves. People may argue a slam on someones head, but thats just a by product of a takedown and a takedown isn’t mean to knock someone out, and is extremely rare. A slam KO is rare than a spinning wheel kick ko.
Also not everyone is capable of slamming fighters, most just do regular double and singles or trips/sweeps. Not many do slams.

There's kinda a big difference in wrestling styles between American Wrestlers and Dagestan wrestlers.
It's the sambo and judo. So it really is not even comparable.

Reactions: Kb7
Here's another interesting thought - wrestling (at least Western wrestling), is the only martial martial art that you can't actually use to beat someone in a fight.

That is, if you're only allowed to use techniques from wrestling to fight, you'll never be able to hurt your opponent. Just take them down and control them.

With BJJ/Sambo/Judo, you can choke someone.

With boxing/kickboxing, you can KO someone.
This. People need to understand you need more than just wrestling now. Those days where all you needed was wrestling in mma are gone. People know how to defend take downs and scramble to their feet, wrestling alone isn't going to cut it in modern mma. Just like striking alone isn't enough. People need to get over the best base style and just mix everything in, because a little bit of everything is needed in mma.

It's the sambo and judo. So it really is not even comparable.
Exactly, these all American wrestlers only focus on takedowns & position control. These "wrestlers" from the Caucasus are actually thought how to finish their opponents. Matt Hughes was one of the first wrestlers who fell in love with submission grappling, many wrestlers nowadays from the U.S have too much ego to actually expand on where the excel at.

Wrestling will always overall be dominant. No matter how much time passes being able to dictate where the fight takes place will be preferred. It's not easy to "catch up" enough to stop the takedown which is why we rarely see strikers be long time champs.

I think there aren't many high level wrestlers,especially at Middleweight,LHW and HW.

Put Khamzat in with the WW and MW champ now and you could remove 2 more striking-based champs from that list and switch it over to a wrestler again.

Im not saying they never have to wrestle, but a striker can go in there and purely strike and win, whereas a wrestler can’t just use wrestling and no striking to win. GnP counts as striking.

But they can win a decision via points for top control and TDs

<seedat>

Wrestling will always overall be dominant. No matter how much time passes being able to dictate where the fight takes place will be preferred. It's not easy to "catch up" enough to stop the takedown which is why we rarely see strikers be long time champs.
The longest reigning champs have been strikers. Anderson, izzy, aldo

This. People need to understand you need more than just wrestling now. Those days where all you needed was wrestling in mma are gone. People know how to defend take downs and scramble to their feet, wrestling alone isn't going to cut it in modern mma. Just like striking alone isn't enough. People need to get over the best base style and just mix everything in, because a little bit of everything is needed in mma.
I think personal talent trumps all. Watching a grappler tag a striker or a striker defend takedowns and reverse position is cool, it means anything can happen and if fighters work on techniques they can execute them.

If we legalize knees to downed opponents we’re going to see less blind blast doubles I’ll tell you that much.

Back