The end of the wrestler era?

BJJ Lover

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
List of champions:
https://www.ufc.com/rankings

Only 2 champions currently have wrestling as their first first/main base - Sterling and Islam.

Most champions now started out as boxers of kickboxers first.

List of champions:
https://www.ufc.com/rankings

Only 2 champions currently have wrestling as their first first/main base - Sterling and Islam.

Most champions now started out as boxers of kickboxers first.
TS, You’re Uaername doesn’t strongly suggests objectivity on the subject
<{cruzshake}>

Please stop, get some help
{<jordan}

BJJ lover complaining about crotch sniffing..

pretty sure punching and kicking people is a bigger neccesity. All wrestlers have to punch and kick. But not all strikers have to shoot a double leg.

Here's another interesting thought - wrestling (at least Western wrestling), is the only martial martial art that you can't actually use to beat someone in a fight.

That is, if you're only allowed to use techniques from wrestling to fight, you'll never be able to hurt your opponent. Just take them down and control them.

With BJJ/Sambo/Judo, you can choke someone.

With boxing/kickboxing, you can KO someone.

View attachment 956445
View attachment 956446
pretty sure punching and kicking people is a bigger neccesity. All wrestlers have to punch and kick. But not all strikers have to shoot a double leg.

Ngannou had to wrestle to beat Gane.

Adesanya even used clinchwork and wrestling to get the better of Alex for most of the fight.

Pereira has also yet to face a good wrestler.

Obviously you need striking, but it loses its value when you can’t dictate the pace of the fight. As much as I loved seeing Leon crush Usman, he was losing that fight because of Usman’s wrestling, and I fear he’ll lose the rematch for the same reason.

Here's another interesting thought - wrestling (at least Western wrestling), is the only martial martial art that you can't actually use to beat someone in a fight.

That is, if you're only allowed to use techniques from wrestling to fight, you'll never be able to hurt your opponent. Just take them down and control them.

With BJJ/Sambo/Judo, you can choke someone.

With boxing/kickboxing, you can KO someone.
This is true. Pure wrestling has no finishing moves. People may argue a slam on someones head, but thats just a by product of a takedown and a takedown isn’t mean to knock someone out, and is extremely rare. A slam KO is rare than a spinning wheel kick ko.

Ngannou had to wrestle to beat Gane.

Adesanya even used clinchwork and wrestling to get the better of Alex for most of the fight.

Pereira has also yet to face a good wrestler.

Obviously you need striking, but it loses its value when you can’t dictate the pace of the fight. As much as I loved seeing Leon crush Usman, he was losing that fight because of Usman’s wrestling, and I fear he’ll lose the rematch for the same reason.
Im not saying they never have to wrestle, but a striker can go in there and purely strike and win, whereas a wrestler can’t just use wrestling and no striking to win. GnP counts as striking.

Im not saying they never have to wrestle, but a striker can go in there and purely strike and win, whereas a wrestler can’t just use wrestling and no striking to win. GnP counts as striking.

They are both equally important in my eyes.

I suppose it’s also dependent on the match up, but I agree w your point 100%.

Back