The Dreaded Staph... dun dun dun

Is what we call staph a generic name for infected wounds, or is it a specific condition? Just asking because I just got treated for a couple infected scratches, but I'm not sure if it's "staph" or not

Yes, I'm sure I had no reason at all to think so. And garlic doesn't work. Its only been tried for thousands of years with no success. That's why people keep using it.

Trained medical professionals have an extremely hard time diagnosing cellulitis without a culture, but I am sure you're anecdotal evidence is basically 100 percent proof.

And I am also sure that such evidence is enough claim, to say that garlic is an effective cure for something that is known to kill a large amount of people every year. There are some really poor clinical trials on Google scholar, but they're really bad. And they all show that it took garlic upwards of eighteen weeks to cure mrsa, with zero evidence that it was the garlic that did the curing. (no control groups) Which further leads one to assume, you didn't have mrsa

Trained medical professionals have an extremely hard time diagnosing cellulitis without a culture, but I am sure you're anecdotal evidence is basically 100 percent proof.

And I am also sure that such evidence is enough claim, to say that garlic is an effective cure for something that is known to kill a large amount of people every year. There are some really poor clinical trials on Google scholar, but they're really bad. And they all show that it took garlic upwards of eighteen weeks to cure mrsa, with zero evidence that it was the garlic that did the curing. (no control groups) Which further leads one to assume, you didn't have mrsa

So basically, you don't believe in logic or science. Got it.

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/archive/mdd/v05/i04/html/04news4.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11759674

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0013804/

That's cool.

You'd rather stick with what you can get in a prescription. More power to you. But, why do you care if someone tries it and sees if it works for them? You don't think I can tell if I have MRSA on my own face when there's a pretty clear connection and exposure to a documented case of MRSA, but you somehow can diagnose it over the internet never having met me?

So you get paid to bash natural alternatives or what?

I didn't diagnose you, I said mrsa is hard to diagnose without a culture and that cellulitis can be caused be a large variety of things.

I do believe in science, but none of those articles show garlic as an effective way to deal with mrsa. They show it has antimicrobial properties, and you are making the leap. I am following science, you're following anecdotal evidence. Maybe you're the one who hates science?

I didn't diagnose you, I said mrsa is hard to diagnose without a culture and that cellulitis can be caused be a large variety of things.

I do believe in science, but none of those articles show garlic as an effective way to deal with mrsa. They show it has antimicrobial properties, and you are making the leap. I am following science, you're following anecdotal evidence. Maybe you're the one who hates science?

My own experience is evidence. You are correct that it is anecdotal, but I took the course I did because there is already a large and growing body of clinical evidence that garlic and other plants have phytochemicals that are antimicrobial, work against more than just bacteria, and to which they do not grow resistant. And it worked, and not just against whatever infection I had on my face, but against a variety of internal and external infections for me and others who've tried it. You'll forgive me if that evidence outweighs the self-important pontification of a self-appointed internet expert.

And with that - you are dismissed.

Lol okay bro, I hope you realize that we are both self appointed Internet experts.

Good luck with future infections.

Lol okay bro, I hope you realize that we are both self appointed Internet experts.

Good luck with future infections.

Difference being - I'm not telling anyone something they've had success with isn't worth trying. I'm not telling people who've actually lived through something they don't know what they are talking about. I'm not calling products that have a good track record of success and clinical evidence to support them "dangerous snake oil."

I'm just reporting what I did and why I did it and what happened. Somehow you feel the need to jump in and give your pontifications on the subject. Maybe I am a self appointed expert - but you take it to a hole. nutha. level.

none of those articles show garlic as an effective way to deal with mrsa.

And by the way, since you don't seem to have read the "articles" (two of which are abstracts of clinical studies one of which is a report on two clinical studies in actuality) this is from one of them.

In another study, Ron Cutler, from the University of East London (U.K.) and colleagues found that allicin liquid and cream formulations were highly potent against clinical isolates of MRSA, including those resistant to mupirocin

Last edited:
That's the same study I already mentioned, before you posted it. Why would I discuss it again?

You made an outrageous claim, and have no way to prove it. Instead of continuing to take what I say as a personal attack, and growing more upset how about you dismiss me and this post as you already claim to have done?

That's the same study I already mentioned, before you posted it. Why would I discuss it again?

You made an outrageous claim, and have no way to prove it. Instead of continuing to take what I say as a personal attack, and growing more upset how about you dismiss me and this post as you already claim to have done?

Not a personal attack, a stupid unwarranted attack by a know-it-all who actually doesn't know what he's talking about. Yea, that irks me just a little, and its why I'm hammering the point that

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Its not clear why you are so dead set that nothing but antibiotics work and feel the need to minimize and dismiss anything else, but one thing that is clear is that

You have no familiarity with the literature or studies on the subject and yet dispute someone who does, when presented with them you double down on your faith-based skepticism, making it even more clear that

AND DON'T CARE TO.

Enjoy.

I have a degree in nutrition with an emphasis in supplements, I've written dozens of papers on ROI from alternative supplementation and lifestyle changes. I am familiar with the subject, I would have zero problem with the idea of garlic being a cure for MRSA if there was any evidence of it. All we have to go on is a clinical that was poorly run, and took months for the cure to happen.

I don't understand how wanting evidence makes me a faith based believer of big pharma, wouldn't that make me the opposite?

Nozza,

We only have invitro studies of our own plus hundreds of other studies done worldwide on our ingredients. There is almost no way to do a large scale invivo study on prevention. In order to do so you would have to purposely infect participants which is clearly unethical.

Guy
Defense Soap

I have a degree in nutrition with an emphasis in supplements, I've written dozens of papers on ROI from alternative supplementation and lifestyle changes. I am familiar with the subject, I would have zero problem with the idea of garlic being a cure for MRSA if there was any evidence of it. All we have to go on is a clinical that was poorly run, and took months for the cure to happen.

I don't understand how wanting evidence makes me a faith based believer of big pharma, wouldn't that make me the opposite?

First, you are 100% wrong. We have thousands of years of natural medicine, plus a recent history of clinical investigation to draw on. You are obviously unfamiliar with the vast majority of recent studies.

Anyone can say anything. I'm a super hero from venus who brought garlic here 10,000 years ago to save humanity. See? All I've seen from you so far is utterly rejecting the idea of natural products helping with any staph, including non-MRSA. Youre c-cksureness and rush to dismissal in the face of evidence sure sounds like shilling or trolling to me. Maybe you are just stupid, its hard to tell the difference, I don't know you.

What evidence? You keep mentioning this evidence, but all you've done is reference one clinical and a bunch of websites that reference garlic antimicrobial properties. Where is all this evidence? All these new studies?

This argument is clearly going nowhere, I Should've exited it awhile ago. Overall I think it is irresponsible to suggest an unproven holistic medication to a life threatening disease that already has proven cures.

What evidence? You keep mentioning this evidence, but all you've done is reference one clinical and a bunch of websites that reference garlic antimicrobial properties. Where is all this evidence? All these new studies?

Geez - you want me to recap hundred of studies and post links to nih because you are too thick or lazy to do it yourself? No thanks. I gave you enough of a sample already.

This argument is clearly going nowhere, I Should've exited it awhile ago. Overall I think it is irresponsible to suggest an unproven holistic medication to a life threatening disease that already has proven cures.

You are welcome to your opinion. I've not advocated anyone do anything - I've shared my own experience. And your "proven cures" you said a few posts ago have -- what did you say exactly? -- "thousands of people dying a year"? If the "cures" were so good there wouldn't be study into alternatives.

Yes you should have exited earlier when it became painfully obvious you are a smarmy know-it-all

WITH NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

The fuck of being a skeptic is that usually skeptics want it to be true more than everyone else, but other people don't understand that. Athiests want god. Debunkers want aliens. People like you want honey to cure impetigo and garlic to cure ringworm. Skeptics just want to be sure it isn't a guess.

There is no such thing as faith-based skepticism.

You cannot be skeptical about a topic about which you entertain faith.

madgrappler - nobody is saying garlic doesn't work to some degree. What I'm saying, and I guess the others too, is that there isn't enough scientific evidence to be sure right now. It might work well but then it might not. Lots of things look like they might work but turn out not to. Some of them however do.

No doubt garlic has antimicrobial properties along with some other natural substances. The early trials look promising but they are preliminary and could amount to little. Let's hope they turn out to be true and the world is landed with a perfect cure for MRSA which will save millions of lives worldwide.

Nobody can tell you that garlic didn't cure you of an MRSA infection. It might well have happened. However you cannot be sure that it was MRSA at all unless you got diagnosed by culture tests/DNA typing and you cannot be sure it was the garlic that cured it. There is just no way to be that sure. Why not accept those facts and admit that you personally believe it works but that there is an element of doubt there? Nobody can argue with that.

Ok, so I got diagnosed yesterday with staph...yay?! So let's hear some of your remedies/preventative measures about what works and what doesn't.

Before the whole "Just take what the doc prescribed." I am, but just looking to possibly expediate and prevent future cases.

The only thing I've been told, outside of making sure gear and all is cleaned and good hygiene, is bleach baths. Do these really help in anyway?

Garlic is supposed to naturally heal and prevent staph.

Bleach bath will work, don't get burned!

I've heard taking Acidophilus builds up an immunity to staph and ringworm.

Back