The Dreaded Staph... dun dun dun

Ok, so I got diagnosed yesterday with staph...yay?! So let's hear some of your remedies/preventative measures about what works and what doesn't.

Before the whole "Just take what the doc prescribed." I am, but just looking to possibly expediate and prevent future cases.

The only thing I've been told, outside of making sure gear and all is cleaned and good hygiene, is bleach baths. Do these really help in anyway?

There's only one way to deal with someone with staph. Silver bullet to the brain, burn the body and whatever you do don't let them bite you.

Unless you got it tested, how do you know it was MRSA? When I got MRSA both dermatologists who only visually diagnosed it, got it wrong

The lady I got it from was hospitalized, remember? She was tested and it was MRSA. There is an assumption involved that I had the same strain, aquired from her, but I believe their was enough coincidence involved that it isn't much of a leap. A fairly safe conclusion, in fact.

Is what we call staph a generic name for infected wounds, or is it a specific condition? Just asking because I just got treated for a couple infected scratches, but I'm not sure if it's "staph" or not…

In any case the treatment was extremely painful, so it's a good incentive to watch out in the future!

I second this. I got staph a month after I started using defense soap.

i would perhaps argue you didnt shower quick enough...i got mrsa twice and ringworm once and got tired of the bullshit so i got some defense soap,and havent had an issue since...theres other kinds of the same soap out there like fight soap and one other brand i forget the name of,and im sure it would be cheaper to buy the main ingredients in bulk,but i usually just add a 5 pack to my order from budovideos and im set for a year

i also use the bar,so im not sure if you used the bodywash or what,but ive been clean as a whistle since.

I got staph once doing no gi when a guy scratched me. I was passing his guard under the leg and he was trying to post on my hip/leg. When his hand popped off I got scratched. It was on a Thursday night, by Saturday I went to the ER. Doc looked at it all of 15 seconds and told me I had a staph infection.

Basically the scratch got red fast. I mean real fast. I'm a nursing student and I knew that it looked bad. The area where he had started the scratch (and the portal of entry for the organism) had a nice big round red border all around it that went from being about the diameter of a nickle, to a quarter, to about the size of a grapefruit.

The doc prescribed me a course of sulfamethoxazole that took care of it fast.

The lady I got it from was hospitalized, remember? She was tested and it was MRSA. There is an assumption involved that I had the same strain, aquired from her, but I believe their was enough coincidence involved that it isn't much of a leap. A fairly safe conclusion, in fact.

You have no clue if what you got was staph, much less mrsa. It could have been cellulitis caused by an ingrown hair, strep or folliculitis or impetigo or any number of things.

I just doubt MRSA would be defeated so effectively by a witch's brew of garlic

i would perhaps argue you didnt shower quick enough...i got mrsa twice and ringworm once and got tired of the bullshit so i got some defense soap,and havent had an issue since...theres other kinds of the same soap out there like fight soap and one other brand i forget the name of,and im sure it would be cheaper to buy the main ingredients in bulk,but i usually just add a 5 pack to my order from budovideos and im set for a year

i also use the bar,so im not sure if you used the bodywash or what,but ive been clean as a whistle since.

I agree with this. I shower with defense as soon as I get home within 20 minutes, suds up, and treat all scratches and scrapes with defense oil and lotion. I wash my GI after each session and my coach mops the mat with bleach after each session.

The problem is my gym has some Krav maga guys that come in and some of those guys wear "mat shoes". They supposedly only wear them on the mat only. I made a stink about it but they came and said they only wear them on the mat. I've seen them leave the mat and walk into the bathroom with their "mat shoes". It pisses me off but what can I do. I'm just one guy and my coach insists that he will mop the mat after they are done.

I also have those defense wipes just in case I have a delay from training to shower.

Hibiclense has a poster showing a wrestler, his post surgery knee, and warnings against MRSA. This was one of my teammates who got a real nasty case of it because he didnt wash his sheets after the initial diagnosis and treatment. Turned a run of antibiotics and 2 weeks off the mat into a medical redshirt year and an $8000 surgery.

I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about Staph, Strep, and MRSA. MOst people will be quick to blame the mats at the gym or someone else but in reality, most of us have staph on us, in our armpits, in our noses, and some of us can become/are carriers that wont be affected by carrying it.

Problems arise when you epidermis becomes injured and the bacteria has time to settle into your wounds, even small abrasions like nail marks or gi burn. The best course of action is wash after training asap and clean your skin/wounds with hibiclens (a antibacterial) and put neosporin on your wound. Staph is a slowly developing infection and that sound be ample protection.

If a infection does arise, it doesnt always mean its staph, streptococcus (the main ingredient in strep throat) is an other common bacteria that can cause an infection, so the best possible course of action would be to get your infection cultured so the doctor can find the proper antibiotic.

I have had MRSA, Staph, and Miocci's Granuloma (the king of fungal infections) and have had some true horror stories of misdiagnoses and the effects it can cause..

Edit: Wash your gear in HOT water every time within an hour of training and if you do happen to have an infection, do like most people on this board have said and clean your sheets, towels, clothes etc...

Hibiclense has a poster showing a wrestler, his post surgery knee, and warnings against MRSA. This was one of my teammates who got a real nasty case of it because he didnt wash his sheets after the initial diagnosis and treatment. Turned a run of antibiotics and 2 weeks off the mat into a medical redshirt year and an $8000 surgery.

Brb going to burn my sheets and sleep on plastic now. This is gonna be a crinkly night.

Ice 9 Cobra and Fizzee Water can you please contact me at [email protected] with your story. We take complaints very seriously at Defense Soap. If you contracted an infection while using Defense sharing your story with us may enlighten us on where the breakdown was. We have study after study proving our ingredients perform well against staph as well as most other mat related infections. The question is simply “where did the break down occur”. If we can share this with others and learn from it we will all be a little safer.

In the meantime this link has 3 articles that I have written as a wrestler for combat athletes to help educate them on these infections. Education is just as important if not more important than the soap we use. These articles are free and can be printed and shared. http://www.worldwrestlingresource.com/site/defense/

Guy
Defense Soap

PS: I didn’t take offense at your “over priced snake oil comment”. More disappointed that we didn’t satisfy you as a customer.

Seems to be a bit of research showing australian tea tree oil works pretty well as a topical agent. But if you've already got topical antibiotics from the doc then I'd guess it's not wise to mix them.

we produce good shit

Mine started on my arm, thought it was just like a pimple i scratched in my sleep (Ignorant!!) and the next morning i woke up and my lip was swolen to the size of a golf ball and I felt really weak and faint.

Staph, fucking staff.

We have study after study proving our ingredients perform well against staph as well as most other mat related infections.

Do you have studies showing your product works in vivo, protecting against getting staph from abrasions etc? Or is this protection inferred from in vitro lab tests?

You have no clue if what you got was staph, much less mrsa. It could have been cellulitis caused by an ingrown hair, strep or folliculitis or impetigo or any number of things.

I just doubt MRSA would be defeated so effectively by a witch's brew of garlic

Yes, I'm sure I had no reason at all to think so. And garlic doesn't work. Its only been tried for thousands of years with no success. That's why people keep using it.

Yes, I'm sure I had no reason at all to think so. And garlic doesn't work. Its only been tried for thousands of years with no success. That's why people keep using it.

Do you know for 100% certainty that it was MRSA then?

People died in their millions for thousands of years from all manner of minor infections getting out of control before modern medicine and antibiotics, despite using garlic and a whole load of other home-brew treatments. So I'm not totally convinced garlic is the last word in infection control.

People died in their millions for thousands of years from all manner of minor infections getting out of control before modern medicine and antibiotics, despite using garlic and a whole load of other home-brew treatments. So I'm not totally convinced garlic is the last word in infection control.

99 and some 9's sure.

Not saying end-all be all. Didn't only use garlic, hit it with every anti-microbial substance I could find. But garlic does work, at least for my family. Haven't used anitbiotics on the kids ear infections in 10 years, use garlic infused oil, in my opinion works better, and also works on other things than bacteria, which a lot of ear infections are (not recommending it, just reporting it). Numerous clinical trials and in vitro studies confirm its anti-microbial effects.

Ok, so I got diagnosed yesterday with staph...yay?! So let's hear some of your remedies/preventative measures about what works and what doesn't.

Before the whole "Just take what the doc prescribed." I am, but just looking to possibly expediate and prevent future cases.

The only thing I've been told, outside of making sure gear and all is cleaned and good hygiene, is bleach baths. Do these really help in anyway?

I caught that shit a few months ago and I was broke for a doctor. My coach gave me some antibiotics pill form and he said that the healing would not be as enjoyable as a special cream that is subscribed would since you will have diarrhea for like 2 days but it will kill it, and it did. I saw the circle in my arm slowly start to dry up, and all I got left now is this eye looking scar, which is pretty badass.

Actually the origin of the myth that vampires are warded off by garlic comes from the outbreak of bubonic plague. At the time in europe, vampires were thought to be behind disease outbreaks and it was well observed that in urban areas hit hard by the plague, garlic mongers were the only people in the market place that appeared to have some resistance.

Back