The Dreaded Staph... dun dun dun

TheHereticJay

I scoff at your belt rankings
@Brown
Reaction score
Ok, so I got diagnosed yesterday with staph...yay?! So let's hear some of your remedies/preventative measures about what works and what doesn't.

Before the whole "Just take what the doc prescribed." I am, but just looking to possibly expediate and prevent future cases.

The only thing I've been told, outside of making sure gear and all is cleaned and good hygiene, is bleach baths. Do these really help in anyway?

Ok, so I got diagnosed yesterday with staph...yay?! So let's hear some of your remedies/preventative measures about what works and what doesn't.

Before the whole "Just take what the doc prescribed." I am, but just looking to possibly expediate and prevent future cases.

The only thing I've been told, outside of making sure gear and all is cleaned and good hygiene, is bleach baths. Do these really help in anyway?

Does it help? Well, not if the shit is already on the mat. Bleach kills a lot of shit. Does it kill staph? Probably. You are gonna put your clothes in there right, because it sort of sound as if you were planning to take a bleach bath or something. I don't think that's a good idea.

Does it help? Well, not if the shit is already on the mat. Bleach kills a lot of shit. Does it kill staph? Probably. You are gonna put your clothes in there right, because it sort of sound as if you were planning to take a bleach bath or something. I don't think that's a good idea.

When I said bleach bath, I didn't mean a tub full of bleach. I meant like a capful or two of bleach added to the bath water.

make sure to wash your blankets, sheets, and pillowcases. Sounds harmless but I have seen at least 2 guys keep getting staph from their beds.

Wash all of your clothes/sheets

eat antibiotics and use the cream that was prescribed

don't do any holistic magical shit because we live in an age where we know antibiotics work and rubbing voodoo juice on yourself doesn't do jack shit

Listen. It is important to Cover that shit up. Use a clean towel after every shower and wash your towel as soon as you use it. Spray your shower down with bleach after each use and wash your bed sheets now. You may get cellulitus, it may get really swollen, but the antibiotic is working.

Tell your coach that you got it so they can deep clean the mats just in case. Bleach baths are supposed to help I never take them, though. Good luck and don't get discouraged, you will get better and be back on the mats in a couple of weeks. Also it is very important from now on to take a shower as soon as you finish training and wash your gi after every session. You are more vulnerable to staph after the first time you get it. Good luck.

My doctor has me taking a bleach bathroom once a month, seems to help.

If you want to expedite it, get oral and cream antibiotics. Explain that you train and see if you can get a prescription for a couple tubes of clindamyacin so you can nip future outbreaks in the bud without waiting for a doctors visit

defense soap! always always always! thats for the future though,not gonna do much if you already have it

Seems to be a bit of research showing australian tea tree oil works pretty well as a topical agent. But if you've already got topical antibiotics from the doc then I'd guess it's not wise to mix them.

defense soap! always always always! thats for the future though,not gonna do much if you already have it

Defense soap is just overpriced snake oil. I've gotten staph multiple times while using it, no reason to pay for a soaps weight in gold.

Regular Staph or MRSA?

If it's not MRSA take the drugs as prescribed.

After that it's obvious hygiene stuff. Launder and disinfect all your gear after each training session, shower with an antimicrobial soap like defense, etc etc.

Defense soap is just overpriced snake oil. I've gotten staph multiple times while using it, no reason to pay for a soaps weight in gold.

I second this. I got staph a month after I started using defense soap.

you got to look on the bright side of things.

you remember your worst enemy? well, now is time to go rub up against him.

SUCKS! Sorry to hear it Sir. I would honestly listen to Your DOCTOR rather than take medical advice from an MMA forum (unless, of course their are doctors in here). The small bits of advice like washing all of Your laundry and bedsheets should've been covered by Your doctor already. I would encourage spraying disinfectant and wiping down the mats You believe You may have got it from. I ALWAYS spray down and wipe the mats b4 and after I roll.

The biggest thing is that the dojo is getting cleaned, bathrooms, locker room, mats... they need to be mopped with bleach and allowed to dry overnight after each class. Personal prevention isn't going to do much if that isn't happening.

I had it on my knee and after a couple hours of being on it (at work) I could barley walk. It was painful. I took the meds the doc prescribed and laid on my bed all day long. Did this about a week and it went away. No magical shit just took meds and stayed off it

Just regular staph, not mrsa. And one of the first things I did was tell my gym. I'm not here to abandon my docs orders as much as learn from others experiences like the guy whos two wrestling got reinfections from their sheets. The doc only gave me some meds (oral and topical) but no other advice really. Also to see if others have heard of/tried the whole bleach bath thing.

All the responses so far have been good and definitely gonna take most, if not all, of it. Thanks guys.

Nomad...I actually posted a status similar to that on fb lol "I'd like to grapple an enemy today."

I didn't get staph in the gym, ironically I got MSRA from a hug from a neighbor who just got out of the hospital, when we let her use our fax machine to send off some insurance docs. Two days later I had a hole forming in my forehead where it touched her arm (i was sitting she was standing for the hug) and she was covered in staph and back in the hospital.

She was in the hospital getting AB's via IV for over a month, I got rid of it completely (at least no visible signs left) after about a week. This was before I knew about Defense soap products so they might work even better. I made garlic infused oil and kept it on there three times a day, and made a smoothie with garlic, cinnamon, and other antimicrobial herbs and spices fresh three times a day. Tasted terrible but inarguably worked, as that's all I did. No antibiotics at all, which don't work well for MSRA anyway.

Recommend you make sure you take a good probiotic while on the antibiotics...

Unless you got it tested, how do you know it was MRSA? When I got MRSA both dermatologists who only visually diagnosed it, got it wrong

Back