The Diaz bros wasted their primes

Nate really takes alot of damage in his fights. I dont blame him for fighting less and for more money.

Maybe your idea of "wasted" is different than their idea of it? In your mind you should try to get every single dollar out of your athletic prime while you can. Maybe in Nick's mind he wanted to spend his prime doing something else. I can't say it was wasted.

For example....in the NFL Andrew Luck could still be playing and making millions and would be in his prime. But he quit b/c he was sick of getting beat up, didn't want CTE, and wanted time with his family. Did he "waste" his prime or did he enjoy it doing what he wanted to do with his family?

Nick had a good run outside of the UFC against a few slightly above average guys, but he was also in the UFC before the streak and didn't do well, then came back to the UFC and didn't do well. Nate although didn't stray from the UFC was somewhat in the same boat. He beat some slightly above average guys, but when it came time to step up I can't think of a time he won when the spot light was on him outside of the Conor fight.

Literally no difference than any other hyped guy coming into the UFC like Askren, Lombard, or Will Brooks. Other than Nick has more fan hype.

Nick could've been champ once GSP retired.

Nate was never going to hold gold. Not even a fake belt that was made up specifically for him.

They didn't waste their primes, it is just that it occurred so long ago. Age is not indicative of 'Prime' fighting skill for a fighter. Nick and Nate were great fighter 10 years ago, but the sport moved on and they didn't, period end of story.

Nick could’ve been a long time pride LW champ with proper management.

Instead he took unfavorable matchups in the states against wrestlers in the worst setting possible, a cage. His style would’ve worked better in Pride.

awful awful management

Not everyone wants to be major PPV stars and I think the Diaz brothers have achieved a shit ton. I don’t think they’ve wasted their primes.

Maybe your idea of "wasted" is different than their idea of it? In your mind you should try to get every single dollar out of your athletic prime while you can. Maybe in Nick's mind he wanted to spend his prime doing something else. I can't say it was wasted.

For example....in the NFL Andrew Luck could still be playing and making millions and would be in his prime. But he quit b/c he was sick of getting beat up, didn't want CTE, and wanted time with his family. Did he "waste" his prime or did he enjoy it doing what he wanted to do with his family?
If Andrew Luck came back 4 or 5 years from now because he was broke then kinda. I wouldn't say Nick "wasted" his prime, but in hindsight, it was very dumb to party for 7 years or whatever when he could've been making big money that would set him up for life.

If Andrew Luck came back 4 or 5 years from now because he was broke then kinda. I wouldn't say Nick "wasted" his prime, but in hindsight, it was very dumb to party for 7 years or whatever when he could've been making big money that would set him up for life.

That is a good point. I would agree he wasted a lot of his prime years. Maybe in his mind he didn't b/c he had fun partying. But he has to have some regret thinking he could have just worked hard for 5 years in his prime and then been set for life.
Sure he's got money, but I don't think he's set for life or anything and never has to work again.

A year before Robbie got his first UFC title shot you would've said the same thing about him.
That doesn't mean Nick would and is a poor argument.

Nick is horrible against wrestlers. Hendricks would've tossed his ass around.

I had high hopes. Haha. No pun intended for Nate when he went up for the belt vs. Benson. I was there live and felt like Nate was taking his career seriously at that point. That’s said, he didn’t do shit in that fight and I think that took a lot out of him as far as motivation.

I do feel that both men wasted good years of their competitive primes though.

Whatever dude. Both of them wasted time not doing the one thing that could earn them a good living. I'm not sure they know how to do anything else that pays well. And it looks like they also got ripped off by people they trusted along the way. I don't think Nick likes fighting, though he is very very good at it and it's his biggest and best opportunity. For a fighter time is not on your side, and blowing opportunities because have anxiety or other emotional problems really sets you back. I hate to say it but I think Nick is going to end up another tragic combat sports story.

Back