The Diaz bros wasted their primes

In mma it sure as fuck is. Look at the average age of UFC champions.

If Glover Teixeira beats Jan at the age of 41, that means he is at his athletic prime, because he became a champion?

Awful comparison. Conor had knocked out everyone he'd fought in the UFC except the iron chinned Max. Ronda had a 100% finish rate with 9/12 wins by armbar. That's not luck. That's skill.
Nate beat Conor, that's skill

My point isn't they aren't skilled lol, that's what you're trying to say about Nate, I'm saying you could do that with anyone

yeah, wasted their primes making millions a piece. lol

If Glover Teixeira beats Jan at the age of 41, that means he is at his athletic prime, because he became a champion?

Again, look at the average age of UFC champions. Hell, look at individual ages. Is there a single champion under 30? The data speaks for itself.

Utter nonsense. The height of Nick Diaz's popularity was when he was fighting Condit and GSP. He quit the sport after that, save for one fight against Silva.
Lol fucking noob.

But thank you for that context. If you actually believe that, the rest of your shit hypothesis is starting to at least make some - well, not make sense, but maybe less nonsense.

Generally speaking, I'd say 28-32 is most MMA fighter's primes

Career prime, not athletic prime. That's what I'm trying to say. Because experience is so important in MMA (and fight sports in general), the primes of fighters come late, compared to most traditional sports, who rely more on physicality.

Also in most combat sports, especially MMA, many fighters are late starters, because they come from amateur careers. They turn full time to MMA at 24, 25, 26 or more. Of course their primes will be at about ~30 years of age. But what about the early starters? How many guys who were notable in their early 20s were fantastic at 32? 35? Even Jon Jones looks done currently. And he is easily one of the GOATs of the sport overall.

Nick quit at the right time... he shouldn't have come back.

wasting prime?
enjoying life?
Call it what you want.
I don't see a problem with not getting punched in the head for some years.

Nate making Connor tap when he was riding high on his wins was one of my favorite MMA moments.

They did what they wanted. More power to them.

Career prime, not athletic prime. That's what I'm trying to say. Because experience is so important in MMA (and fight sports in general), the primes of fighters come late, compared to most traditional sports, who rely more on physicality.

Also in most combat sports, especially MMA, many fighters are late starters, because they come from amateur careers. They turn full time to MMA at 24, 25, 26 or more. Of course their primes will be at about ~30 years of age. But what about the early starters? How many guys who were notable in their early 20s were fantastic at 32? 35? Even Jon Jones looks done currently. And he is easily one of the GOATs of the sport overall.
I get what you're saying, and agree to an extent, but most guys I see try to do what Jones did end up getting fucked up because they're fighting dudes a couple years older and more developed... there are very few guys that were the best in the world at 24. Yeah if you are champ that young you will probably be washed by 32

I think when you're early 20's you're slightly faster and more explosive, but when you reach 28-32 you're stronger and still just about as fast, so it's kind of the perfect balance of strength and speed

Saved some brain cells and just killed them with booze and weed. I dunno....id rather kill brain cells thru fun activities rather than getting my face rearranged but thats just me.

I think overall they maximized their earring potential. More fights would've been more losses and less hype. They also took less damage. They weren't after the belts, they were after money at that point, so they succeeded in maximizing their earning potential while taking the least amount of damage over the years.

They fought a lot before and they didn't get bigger pay days until they slowed things down and built hype. Money fights were their focus, if you are after the belt then yeah you have to be fighting more frequently, but they weren't after the belts after a certain point.

Lol fucking noob.

But thank you for that context. If you actually believe that, the rest of your shit hypothesis is starting to at least make some - well, not make sense, but maybe less nonsense.

The height of Diaz was when he fought GSP.

how are you even arguing against this

I don't see how you can equate Nick and Nate. Nate has been making millions. Losing doesn't mean wasting; he just wasn't able to win those fights. And before Conor he didn't have the clout to make big bucks.
This. I think even Nick has done well for himself over the years; partying every night in Vegas isn't cheap, and he was doing that for a long stretch. Both guys have likely made much more money than fighters with better records. c'est la vie.

Considering Nick just said recently that he doesn't like fighting, and tried to leave it, I'm guessing that has something to do with it.

Both the brothers (especially Nate) are on the happy side of the talent to money made in MMA ratio.

Big Diaz bros fan here

They were never really well rounded, you can have some of the more entertaining fights ever with them, they are excepcional in their boxing, cardio, jaw and and jiu jitsu, but when you are going top 5 and up, is really difficult for them to keep winning because every opponent will exploit their wrestling (and low kick) weakness

Their brand and hype is more valuable after a big entertaining fight against a star who fights in the stand up (Silva, McGregor, Cerrone, etc) compared to keep fighting boring fighters who are not a draw an lose a snooze fest via constant takedowns

Last edited:
Back