• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Death of Stick Shift

Well, Automatics dont suck if you have a built 4060le or a 4080le. I know of a car that was making around 400whp, full bolt on ls1 through a 6 speed fully buily 4080le. Dude was pulling low 10's and 9 seconds with a bottle. Now with a 6 speed t56 , you'd be praying to break into the low 12's
I was an idiot 16 year old. Nothing picked was OE or balanced for it.

I had a built 350 shoe horned in and it was carburetorated. What was in there was a tbi 305.

Later i got that $3k accel tpi piece of shit, that nobody could calibrate.

Then i strapped on a paxton sn2000 i think it was called.

Headers glowed in the dark, despite their wraps.

Disposable income, becomes disposed.

It had a 4 speed a833 in it? Old school mopar transmission are fairly bulletproof. Especially the automatics. I know the 4 speed OD of the era wasn't the strongest thing in the world but there was something else going on if you were going through transmissions in a 71.
That was back in ‘81/‘82 time frame so my memory may not be on point. But it was a 3 speed I think it was a 727.

What I find strange is guys that think driving a stick shift makes them a "man". Manuals are outdated technology at this point.
You'll hear people say stuff like "I need a manual in traffic for better control." If you don't drive like a fucking moron, you don't need to be down shifting or rowing gears constantly. Those are the Mustang drivers, usually an SN95 v6 that's "cherry" except the 2 or 3 dents from guard rails and/or light poles.

It is better to drive a stick depending on your style. I drive a stick Mustang. And yes, I like to shift when I want to. I know what I am going to do. The car does not.

But yeah, for low-T boys and little girls an automatic is just fine.

My first car was a ‘71 Dodge Charger, it wasn’t anything special. But I couldn’t keep the transmission in that thing for nothing, I swore I’d never have another mopar product. I do have a keep Cherokee now, it has other issues but the trans in that is no problem at all.

The 727 is one of the best transmissions of all time.

Nice. I'm intrigued by what should be coming in the 2022 model update, but they need to bring back the damn hatch already!

i hated the hatch when it first came out. Then my friend bought one and i saw it in person and liked it. My OG was a 01 STi.

Gen Z wont know how to drive manual neither do most millenialls. It is simply old outdated technology.

High end sports cars all use paddle shifters and different driving modes i.e., sport, race, awd, street and have 7 or 8 gears. Ferrari has ceased with manuals all their cars use paddle shifters and I believe can allow for a full auto mode in some by disengaging the shifters.

Its more fun,sounds better and makes you a better driver.

When electric cars finally turns to be the norm everywhere im gonna miss it.

Had a GTO,a Scooby, 3 Skylines and
JZX 90 all stick shift.
Terribly miss my last R33.

i hated the hatch when it first came out. Then my friend bought one and i saw it in person and liked it. My OG was a 01 STi.

'01 is a classic, what happened to yours? I love my '14 but appreciate the look of the older models. But the hatch is a great compromise - they should just bring the Levorg to the U.S. if they're not going to revive the STI hatch.

The 6-speed manual will always be the greatest ever way of driving a car, you simply cannot beat it. You and the car, full control, perfection.

The twin-clutch paddle shift is the natural progression, it is much faster and you need to handle the modern-day performance of cars in all honesty.

Unfortunately, statistics show that about 1 in 10 people will choose the 6-speed manual today so it is dying. For reference, the F82 M4 and F80 M3 come in a manual but BMW stated that for every 1 manual they sold there were 10 autos, this has led to them not releasing a manual M3 in the UK for the first time ever with their new one, bummer.

Porsche tried to pull the same stunt but the backlash was too bad and the did bring out the GT3 and 911R with a manual and it is something beyond perfection.

Sad aswell because most auto transmissions are terrible and boring.

I'm ashamed to say I can't drive stick shift too well. My dad taught me and I got the hang of it, but it's been more than 13 years since then. Plus I live in a city with a shitload of traffic. It's a logistics nightmre.

in the event of having to have a transmission rebuilt or repaired, autos are VASTLY more expensive

The 6-speed manual will always be the greatest ever way of driving a car, you simply cannot beat it. You and the car, full control, perfection.

The twin-clutch paddle shift is the natural progression, it is much faster and you need to handle the modern-day performance of cars in all honesty.

Unfortunately, statistics show that about 1 in 10 people will choose the 6-speed manual today so it is dying. For reference, the F82 M4 and F80 M3 come in a manual but BMW stated that for every 1 manual they sold there were 10 autos, this has led to them not releasing a manual M3 in the UK for the first time ever with their new one, bummer.

Porsche tried to pull the same stunt but the backlash was too bad and the did bring out the GT3 and 911R with a manual and it is something beyond perfection.

Sad aswell because most auto transmissions are terrible and boring.

I had a manual in a VW.. loved it. Got an Audi with DSG and it was pretty damn amazing. Now have a BMW with ZF8 and paddle shifters.. well let's just say I don't really see the point of a manual in a modern daily driver.

Now if we're talking old school 911 or something like that then there clearly is no comparison to the auto transmissions of the 80s and 90s and stick shifts.

Was without a car for a few weeks recently so we had borrowed a friends stick jeep. It's a pain in the ass.
Um...I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use your hands

I definitely prefer manual but auto's have their place, it largely depends on the car....for larger cars with more high end torque I'd prefer an auto, more mid range or smaller cars definitely prefer manual. Auto can be fun if it's the right box (The VW DSG boxes are a mazing) or has a stall and/or shift kit. It's so hard to find newer modern sports cars in auto, I'm considering upgrading my daily which is a 04 Subaru Legacy GT to a MK6 Golf , Passat R36 Wagon or maybe E92 325i but the vast majority of them are auto.

I believe everyone should still learn both, a situation might pop up where you need to drive manual and it also gives you greater flexibility for car options.

Back