The Chris vs prime Wand

So you are saying that Tito Ortiz was a better fighter than Weidman? After all he beat Silva in his prime 15 years ago and did it pretty easily (if a bit boring). Weidman is a better wrestler, has better standup and better ground game.

Nice to see a few Wanderlei Silva fans at Sherdog but get real buddy...

So prime Wand is the tito fight for you?

No way bro.
Nobody has ever even scored a fucking point against Arona in elite professional grappling.

Of which he dominated everyone specifically with wrestling.
Including dudes like Mark Kerr.

No way.
7UJUMDq.gif

The best a prime Chris could do against 2000-2004 Silva would be outwrestling him for a decision. Prime Silva was a fearless wrecking machine who could chop down anyone. Under Pride rules, Weidman gets stopped.

Weidman would have a good chance, but Pride Rampage would kill Weidman.

^ Bro because it happened before a lot of these posters could urinate without pissing all over the seat means it isn't relevant.

Wanderlei's unbeatable image had its first sign of breaking against Arona, and many don't give him the decision in the rematch. However, in some ways (in terms of wrestling improvement) that head-to-head was his most impressive form.

Arona could have dominated in the UFC, where the judges think its jail and love jerking it to the sweaty man on top.

Wanderlei had problems with being taken and kept down even in his prime - Tito, Arona... He'd have the punchers' chance before it hits the ground but after that it'd be over imo. And Wanderlei is my fav fighter so yeah...

Shogun on the other hand would have much better chance. He was not that ease to ragdoll on the mat and his striking was just as ferocious.

Taken down quickly and worked over like a practice dummy. Maybe worse.

Wand was not a dummy on the ground, he was never submitted, resisted ground and pound from Cro Cop, Mark Hunt and other big guys, granted they were somewhat green in grappling...

Chris is a better fighter, but people need to stop with this Wand was a can on the ground stuff, he did great against grapplers.

wanderlei's unbeatable image had its first sign of breaking against arona, and many don't give him the decision in the rematch. However, in some ways (in terms of wrestling improvement) that head-to-head was his most impressive form.

arona could have dominated in the ufc, where the judges think its jail and love jerking it to the sweaty man on top.

lol

Wanderlei had problems with being taken and kept down even in his prime - Tito, Arona... He'd have the punchers' chance before it hits the ground but after that it'd be over imo. And Wanderlei is my fav fighter so yeah...

Shogun on the other hand would have much better chance. He was not that ease to ragdoll on the mat and his striking was just as ferocious.

I thought he rectified that in the rematch with Arona. He stuffed a ton of takedowns, and never spent a lot of time there.

Prime Wand had the ability to knock out any human being on the planet and most large sized mammals.

This would have been a bad match up for him at any point in his career.

I would also note, Wand's defensive guard and overall defensive BJJ game was one of the very best of all time.

205 Wand was a fucking psycho.

I don't think Weidman could take the heat that Wand brought.

I thought he rectified that in the rematch with Arona. He stuffed a ton of takedowns, and never spent a lot of time there.

Not sure he did.I mean he looked better than the first fight but much of his offense was shut down by the threat of TD. As a contrast look at what Shogun did to Arona.

I mean look, Rampage managed to keep Silva down for a good portion of their first fight, delivered some good GnP and knees and it was only when the round was over that Wanderlei got up. Chris is around the same size as Page, def a much better grappler with better offensive submisasion game, top control and GnP. Just saying...

While it is kept on the feet though, Wanderlei will fuck him up. The little flurry weak TRT-free Vitor managed to deliver is nothing compared to the barage of strikes Wanderlei would have brought in a similar situation.

idk if it was pride (since this is all hypothetical) it would be harder for chris to grapple with him
i got wand in a ring weidman in a cage

I would also like to clarify Wand's absolute prime.

The time he was peaking was 2002-2004. Going into the Hunt fight was the last time he was at his best. That fight changed him.

2005 was the year he started to decline.

Without a cage wall to help him, Weidman would get soccer kicked into oblivion by prime Wanderlei.

Belfort destroyed him in the standup so don't see why Prime Wand wouldn't, granted he doesn't just give up if he gets put on his back like Belfort did.

Back