The Best BJJ Vid I've Ever Seen

Great points by Zankou and Oli.

I'm happy to see that sherdog is still usefull beside e-posturing...

great points by zankou and oli.

I'm happy to see that sherdog is still usefull beside e-posturing...

Who the hell are you to judge what's useful!? What belt are you!? Do you even train?!

[Edit: Apparently it auto-filters all-caps posts. Who knew?]

First, I've never seen anyone shrimp anything like the way he was suggesting at the beginning of the video unless there was someone correcting them. I've certainly never seen any black belts teaching it that way. Second, I find it interesting that shrimping is apparently almost always taught "wrong" at countless schools all over the world, but you apparently know the "right" way to do it, while all of these black belts are just incompetent. Third, this is how I shrimp. This is how the vast majority of people I've ever trained with shrimp... so it's all kind of moot.

I was going to say something like this, but judging from all of the positive responses in this thread, perhaps most people really do shrimp incorrectly.

What I tend to do to make people work on proper shrimping is make people do single leg snaking. Three off the outside leg one side in a row, change legs, three off that leg, and repeat.

My (awful sound quality) take on similar (slightly more specific) principles:

Maybe useful, maybe not. But hey. Figured I'd throw it out there. ^_^

I will experiment with Keith's more explosive version and see if it works better. Although honestly I'm increasingly favoring forcing north south to escape from side control rather than escaping traditional side control. But that's a separate issue. Will try. Thanks for the link.

You're so knowledgable for a brit!

but seriously, great instruction. Just spent about 30 minutes at an open mat trying to escape side-control against a guy with pretty good top pressure, was not very successful. Will be trying to get more space with this tomorrow at open mat.

Zankou and Oli bring this to a level that Ari's stain can't bring down.

The secret is in the production values. No expense spared. Nod nod. And yes, I was kidding with the overreaction earlier. ;)

I was not taught this way but I saw a guy do it in class once and noticed his hips seemed to move much further away and I thought the spinning/turning down motion would help your opponent move out of the way.

Been doing it ever since.

First, I've never seen anyone shrimp anything like the way he was suggesting at the beginning of the video unless there was someone correcting them. I've certainly never seen any black belts teaching it that way. Second, I find it interesting that shrimping is apparently almost always taught "wrong" at countless schools all over the world, but you apparently know the "right" way to do it, while all of these black belts are just incompetent. Third, this is how I shrimp. This is how the vast majority of people I've ever trained with shrimp... so it's all kind of moot.

agreed... i have only ever seen it tauight this way, where is it taught incorrectly??

agreed... i have only ever seen it tauight this way, where is it taught incorrectly??

You talking about the downwards facing hips?

Or just the feet bit, the feet bit should be fairly standard I think.

I thought submissions 101 should be avoided according to the majority opinion here?

I thought submissions 101 should be avoided according to the majority opinion here?

Ari Bolden, founder of Sub 101, should be avoided. Unfortunately Keith Owen decided to affiliate with Sub 101, for the money. And some of the stuff Owen shows is very good, like this.

Btw, it's great if everybody is shrimping awesome, and if that's other peoples' experience then rock on, but that's not my experience ... I've been to lots of schools, and the shrimping is almost always awful. Basically, it's like this:

[YT]NHwfPzXDU84[/YT]

This is the problem with shrimping being a warmup drill, you get ingrained the suckiest imaginable shrimps.

since watching this vid i have been doing the move properly and have noticed that he helps alot getting out of side control and even halfguard sweeps

Damn thx alot Zankou!
Never even realized i was doing it sorta like you see in the video you posted in this video.

You talking about the downwards facing hips?

Or just the feet bit, the feet bit should be fairly standard I think.

both, i have only seen it taught correctly... zankou's second vid really surprised me

What I tend to do to make people work on proper shrimping is make people do single leg snaking. Three off the outside leg one side in a row, change legs, three off that leg, and repeat.

My (awful sound quality) take on similar (slightly more specific) principles:

Maybe useful, maybe not. But hey. Figured I'd throw it out there. ^_^

I will experiment with Keith's more explosive version and see if it works better. Although honestly I'm increasingly favoring forcing north south to escape from side control rather than escaping traditional side control. But that's a separate issue. Will try. Thanks for the link.

Awesome to have someone like you posting here, Oli!

Do you want to explain why you prefer forcing N/S to escape side control? Hope you don't mind.

Awesome to have someone like you posting here, Oli!

Do you want to explain why you prefer forcing N/S to escape side control? Hope you don't mind.

Someone like me? Well, uh, gee. Man who has lost to more famous people than most grapplers in history. Whoo-ha. ^_^

Thanks, though.

I just prefer forcing north south because it takes away the crossface. The crossface is the big problem since it controls your shoulders in turn, weakens your hips and everything else. IDEALLY, your priority is preventing the crossface, which is sadly a habit I never really developed when I should have. Everyone learns side control escapes from the full crossface so when someone passes their guard, they let their head get controlled, go back to safety position and then work to escape, whilst someone tries to put their shoulder through their face. This is non-optimal. However, habits get ingrained easily, and so my new approach rather than trying to fight the crossface is to make sure my head gets under their body. If it's there, logically I can't be crossfaced. It's not 100% fool proof, but I have had some success with it against good guys. It may not revolutionize jiujitsu, but when I have ideas, I follow them to the end, for better or worse. ^_^

Back