The Best BJJ Vid I've Ever Seen

I get quality instruction like that daily. Btw Keith puts the money boner away 30 minutes before class starts.

I was taught how to shrimp correctly from the start, and had no idea it was this compelling of an issue.

People hate on Keith Owens for a few things, but mostly his association with the fraud that is Ari Bolden.

I think correct shrimping and how to do a correct upa are two techniques that are generally lacking in some of today's gyms. IMO

Somone put up a video on how to correctly do a reverse shrimp

Someone like me? Well, uh, gee. Man who has lost to more famous people than most grapplers in history. Whoo-ha. ^_^

Thanks, though.

I just prefer forcing north south because it takes away the crossface. The crossface is the big problem since it controls your shoulders in turn, weakens your hips and everything else. IDEALLY, your priority is preventing the crossface, which is sadly a habit I never really developed when I should have. Everyone learns side control escapes from the full crossface so when someone passes their guard, they let their head get controlled, go back to safety position and then work to escape, whilst someone tries to put their shoulder through their face. This is non-optimal. However, habits get ingrained easily, and so my new approach rather than trying to fight the crossface is to make sure my head gets under their body. If it's there, logically I can't be crossfaced. It's not 100% fool proof, but I have had some success with it against good guys. It may not revolutionize jiujitsu, but when I have ideas, I follow them to the end, for better or worse. ^_^

Do you mind explaining your favourite way of escaping N/S then? I'm sure nobody will mind if we go a bit off topic here..

I think correct shrimping and how to do a correct upa are two techniques that are generally lacking in some of today's gyms. IMO

This. I am guilty of bad shrimping, mostly out of laziness/sloppiness. This thread is a terrific reminder that even the basics need constant drilling.

But I am a stickler on the upa. Isn't that what people were saying about Rickson's Invisible Jiu Jitsu seminars? That the biggest mind-blower was the upa?

Funny thing...when I did a private with a Rickson BB and immediately asked to be shown the upa he said "Oh...you want the good stuff!"

The big difference was in clearing your head out of the way. It makes it mechanically impossible for uke to prevent the upa with his free arm or head.

I honestly don't believe I've ever been taught to shrimp like that. Will definitely have a go at it.

I always knew that putting the outside leg out farther brough your hips out more.

I think a bigger problem is people thinking that 1 shrimp will solve all your problems. i.e. escaping side controls. It takes a lot!

Kurt shows it almost the same way, with a little foot detail, at around the 6:00 mark

I just had to come back and co-sign the value of this alternative shrimping technique.

I'm a big guy rolling with bigger guys often times so getting back to guard from side control the first time is important to me and this little adjustment has made a huge difference.

Funny thing...when I did a private with a Rickson BB and immediately asked to be shown the upa he said "Oh...you want the good stuff!"

The big difference was in clearing your head out of the way. It makes it mechanically impossible for uke to prevent the upa with his free arm or head.

Care to elaborate further?

Back