Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v44 (RIP Kentaro Miura)

Latest Solo Leveling , I read the novel so I was anticipating it , but man Go Gun Hee.........

Just finished Dota, wish they would redo it with better animation. Can’t wait for Demon Slayer movie. One episode to go in Seven Deadly Sins....started off just a fun show with cool battles, great animation....but the show grew with incredible character development. Netflix has not let me down so I’ll start Yasuke.
Yeah, I'm watching 7 deadly sins as well. I started it a while ago after binging Full Metal Brotherhood, and was put off by the silliness/fan service.

I enjoy those aspects in anime, especially a waifu or 10, but Full Metal kept waifu fan service to a minimum. It was a tough act to follow, but on my second run, I'm loving 7 deadly Sins, I love the variety of characters!

Yeah, I'm watching 7 deadly sins as well. I started it a while ago after binging Full Metal Brotherhood, and was put off by the silliness/fan service.

I enjoy those aspects in anime, especially a waifu or 10, but Full Metal kept waifu fan service to a minimum. It was a tough act to follow, but on my second run, I'm loving 7 deadly Sins, I love the variety of characters!
I recently rewatched FMA:B and yup its still an all time great anime. Ive pretty much seen it a bunch of times, reread the manga a billion times, so its not as impactful now but its great.

Youre gonna have a bad time if you think 7DS will be anywhere near that quality. I dropped it after season 1, and supposedly gets way worse. Liked some of the characters though.

TBH I really want Netflix to announce Kengan Ashura season 3.
I hope to get a new season of this and baki as well
Man I fucking adore these shows. I know theyre mediocre if you tink about them objectively, but theyre comfort food, and watching Sherdoggers beat each other up is always fun to watch.

I dont read manga a lot now [other than Ippo] but I need something like Liar Game/One Outs/Kaiji etc. Liar Game isnt as good on a 3rd reread, shocked that its so mediocre. It felt like a recent rewatch of Code Geass, a show I used to consider top 5, is just goddamn mediocre as hell....

Anyone with Netflix should watch Alice in Borderlands, based on a manga iirc. Real fun show. Has all the shit I like, a smart protag, battle royale etc. Season 2 is gonna be awesome, I hope.

Anyone with Netflix should watch Alice in Borderlands, based on a manga iirc. Real fun show. Has all the shit I like, a smart protag, battle royale etc. Season 2 is gonna be awesome, I hope.

My cousin has been begging me to watch this. Might start it up after I finish ZeroZeroZero.

My cousin has been begging me to watch this. Might start it up after I finish ZeroZeroZero.
Dunno what I expected. And yup, pretty much binged it. Its really good. But Im not sure if it will be on a rewatch, once you know the twists etc.

I recently rewatched FMA:B and yup its still an all time great anime. Ive pretty much seen it a bunch of times, reread the manga a billion times, so its not as impactful now but its great.

Youre gonna have a bad time if you think 7DS will be anywhere near that quality. I dropped it after season 1, and supposedly gets way worse. Liked some of the characters though.
Yeah, on this second run It didn't need to live up to FMAB, but I'm enjoying it. I'm near season 1's end, it's fun!

FMAB left a big void for me though, one of my all time favs. I love the tight focus on a small story (Ed & Alphonse) that becomes a globe trotting JRPG-like adventure. It had a massive cast of likable and developed characters, with an overarching plot that felt like it had stakes.

I love how it could go from this
ef8a7c5c6a58062374df8b7834221d38.gif

To this at any given time

Bradley is one of the goat villains (epic stash too), he was believably dangerous, especially his little runt lol

What other Anime do you think measures up? My favs are

Last edited:
You left us on a cliffhanger lol.

Ive rewatched Death Note atleast 8 times, and has held up every time. Its dub is magnificent aswell. Was my all time favourite until Attack on Titan.

Attack on Titan to me is pretty much one of the greatest shows ever. I hope season 4 ends well, and unless it has a GOT level meltodown, its guaranteed the number 1 spot.

HxH is pretty much the best shonen, and Yu Yu Hakashu is another work by the same mangaka thats incredible.

I can keep going on and on about anime like Cowboy Beepob, Akira, Ippo etc, and Ill need weeks to come up with a definitive top 15, but the ones mentioned are in the list.

I was always a fan of DBZ/Naruto/One Piece, but I know theyre not the best that anime has to offer. Naruto falls off damn hard in Shippuuden, One Piece anime is a mess, dropped it when they started dragging 1 chapter for each episode but the manga is still high quality. I just needed to mention these, since my love for anime stems from here and Akira.

You left us on a cliffhanger lol.

Ive rewatched Death Note atleast 8 times, and has held up every time. Its dub is magnificent aswell. Was my all time favourite until Attack on Titan.

Attack on Titan to me is pretty much one of the greatest shows ever. I hope season 4 ends well, and unless it has a GOT level meltodown, its guaranteed the number 1 spot.

HxH is pretty much the best shonen, and Yu Yu Hakashu is another work by the same mangaka thats incredible.

I can keep going on and on about anime like Cowboy Beepob, Akira, Ippo etc, and Ill need weeks to come up with a definitive top 15, but the ones mentioned are in the list.

I was always a fan of DBZ/Naruto/One Piece, but I know theyre not the best that anime has to offer. Naruto falls off damn hard in Shippuuden, One Piece anime is a mess, dropped it when they started dragging 1 chapter for each episode but the manga is still high quality. I just needed to mention these, since my love for anime stems from here and Akira.
haha, it's my stupid laptop. The trackpad is so sensitive, it deletes things in ways I have no idea. I might have some old macro too, as one of my business partners

Anyway, nice list, very similar tastes in Anime just like vids lol. I'm with you on DBZ, which was great when I was younger, but they'd stretch/drag battles out into multiple, on top of multiple, episodes. I'm sure it was cost saving/advert maximizing techniques, which is what I see One Piece doing, a big reason I stopped watching. Was HxH not like that too? I think I got to the episode where they went to this guy's mansion, but I stopped my subscription
latest

This is why I get excited for limited series runs for shows like Chernobyl, and the upcoming Bloodborne. I don't know if you watched any Marvel shows on Netflix, but they were always 4 to 5 episodes too long, with a few exceptions (Daredevil and Jessica Jones S1)

Death Note is goat status. That's the anime I always recommend to newcomers, same for Berserk OG series and the trilogy films. I've made many fans from those two alone. I hope the upcoming series returns to form.

I loved Avatar (Aang story), Beebop, Steins Gate, Parasite, Fate Stay & Zero, Overlord S1, Sword Art (OG story line) Legend of Galactic Heroes, and yes AOT is money. I only watched the first ep of S4, so I still have that to binge. I think it has the best opening episode of any anime. It's one of the few I prefer subbed

I'm a big fan of my Hero Academia, more for All Might and the rest of the cast. I really don't like Midoriya, he keeps it from goat status to me.

I don't generally like Anime films, outside gems like Akira (prefer series), but Your Name was awesome, not usual my style
LastEnormousBlackmamba-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
haha, it's my stupid laptop. The trackpad is so sensitive, it deletes things in ways I have no idea. I might have some old macro too, as one of my business partners
Same here, POS laptop thats like 8 years old but I love the layout, and its still going strong. Wont replace it till it dies, since I really like it. But the PC is top tier.
Was HxH not like that too? I think I got to the episode where they went to this guy's mansion, but I stopped my subscription
The image is broken, but HxH is magnificent, might have a few bits that drag a little but each arc is pretty amazing. The chimera arc is special. Love the Games Island Arc, the Nen arcs, and the Phantom Troupe arc :eek::eek::eek:. Fuck might rewatch it now. Watch the new version, the art style is more childish but the content isnt. I love the 1999 version aswell. Give it a try again bro.

Anyway, nice list, very similar tastes in Anime just like vids lol. I'm with you on DBZ, which was great when I was younger, but they'd stretch/drag battles out into multiple, on top of multiple, episodes. I'm sure it was cost saving/advert maximizing techniques, which is what I see One Piece doing, a big reason I stopped watching.
We really have a similar taste haha, not surprising that we'd like the same anime as well as games imo though.

I loved Avatar
Special damn show. I dont consider it an anime though lol. Its magnificent tho.
I don't generally like Anime films, outside gems like Akira (prefer series), but Your Name was awesome, not usual my style
I was just speaking about this with Wolo a few pages back, loved Your Name, Im actually gonna watch the movie he recommended thats like this right now.

Same here, POS laptop thats like 8 years old but I love the layout, and its still going strong. Wont replace it till it dies, since I really like it. But the PC is top tier.

The image is broken, but HxH is magnificent, might have a few bits that drag a little but each arc is pretty amazing. The chimera arc is special. Love the Games Island Arc, the Nen arcs, and the Phantom Troupe arc :eek::eek::eek:. Fuck might rewatch it now. Watch the new version, the art style is more childish but the content isnt. I love the 1999 version aswell. Give it a try again bro.

We really have a similar taste haha, not surprising that we'd like the same anime as well as games imo though.

Special damn show. I dont consider it an anime though lol. Its magnificent tho.

I was just speaking about this with Wolo a few pages back, loved Your Name, Im actually gonna watch the movie he recommended thats like this right now.
Yeah, Avatar isn't really Anime but the inspiration is there and it follows the formula enough to make it honorary IMO lol. One thing I don't like about it, which is ubiquitous across most Western animation it seems, are the scrunchy-like facial expressions, not sure how to describe it
9aPRU91ZOVffaLivQG4FyqiGwy8vqfvqvUcgvcR-3YSpFM2eem9w9sQ9QPDFE5Cf0etof1vJQvVkgvh-YMvHeIBERZqBkk_QjoN6o9hhC_fYKdwqqf7iq8sbTauUgDWfb0fejX3SIMzNhDn9zqu6U61SdImwPkX5zZvISJ8=s0-d

c5962bd3679014e68b1e76c5f7d6f1bdd5337c60.gifv

Maybe I'm just weird, but it annoys me so much. I just watched Raya with my gf (terrible movie) and kept pointing it out, to help her discern crappy Western animation vs Japanese Anime, Avatar aside lol

What movie did he suggest?

FMAB is one of the GOATS for sure.

As far as ones that measure up.... if you cut the filler and start after the Baratie arc when they get Sanji One Piece slowly develops that overarching “something is wrong above our characters”.

Bebop, Champloo, Outlaw Star

Black Lagoon and Gangsta too if they were ever continued.

As an aside...... why the fuck is the Toriko x One Piece crossover literally in the middle of Jinbei’s story about Fisher Tiger and the Sun Pirates?! WHOSE FUCKING IDEA WAS IT TO BREAK UP THE STORY ABOUT KOALA AND THE SHIT THAT HAPPENED TO THE SUN PIRATES

Not anime but I really like Invincible.

The fight sequences are beautifully done. Glad they made small changes like the guardians putting up a fight so the impact was more stunning. In the comics they got stomped in 2 pages.

Yeah, Avatar isn't really Anime but the inspiration is there and it follows the formula enough to make it honorary IMO lol. One thing I don't like about it, which is ubiquitous across most Western animation it seems, are the scrunchy-like facial expressions, not sure how to describe it
I love it, its that Korean style animations thats dope. Some of my favourite shows like Boondocks have this kind of look aswell, another near perfect show for the first 3 seasons.

Maybe I'm just weird, but it annoys me so much. I just watched Raya with my gf (terrible movie) and kept pointing it out, to help her discern crappy Western animation vs Japanese Anime, Avatar aside lol

What movie did he suggest?
Not bothering with Raya, Ill watch Soul though which looks real interesting.. The last pixar movie I loved was Coco, really fucking great movie.
I think its caled 'Weathering with You'. Pretty much looks like 'Your Name' and is in the same vein, sems like one to watch with your girl.

Haha that panel of Luffy. Freaking destroyed.

Kaido is so disappointed.

Back