Television The Anime and Manga Thread: v44 (RIP Kentaro Miura)

holy shit, you got a lot of catchup to do, but like anything else, one piece has a huge story, however this particular one is contrived. It's basically a flex for the crew, but the following arcs are amazing stuff, especially good if you can binge
I watched all the way to the end of Dressrosa/read the manga to that point then stopped to let it develop more chapters/episodes for me to binge....

I only waited too many years and now I'm super far behind lol. I know the basics of what happens so I'm not completely in the woods on it but I want to see it unfold. I know the basics that the way Smoke and Luffy are tailor made rivals that Fujitora and Zoro are the same way. I also know the big secret about X Drake too. So I'm not completely in the dark.

I also actually want to watch a shounen movie because of this:

Most movies for shounen aren't that good (looking at you Naruto and Bleach). Stampede looks good.

I watched all the way to the end of Dressrosa/read the manga to that point then stopped to let it develop more chapters/episodes for me to binge....

I only waited too many years and now I'm super far behind lol. I know the basics of what happens so I'm not completely in the woods on it but I want to see it unfold. I know the basics that the way Smoke and Luffy are tailor made rivals that Fujitora and Zoro are the same way. I also know the big secret about X Drake too. So I'm not completely in the dark.

I also actually want to watch a shounen movie because of this:

Most movies for shounen aren't that good (looking at you Naruto and Bleach). Stampede looks good.

one piece movies = watchable

narotu/bleach, well, I think both series are trash (drawn out way more than needed) <Lmaoo>, so you can forget the movies

So I was basically expecting episode 19 level of animation from the Demon Slayer movie, and we had maybe 2-3 moments of that calibre in a 2 hour movie.

For the hype...I expected more? Demon Slayer is a cookie cutter shonen with amazing animation, but the movie was underwhelming.

This is how I feel about most anime movie. Almost no matter how much I like the anime the movie is underwhelming. I liked this movie (especially the ending) but yea if it wasn't for that ending sequence this would have been a massive let down.

This is how I feel about most anime movie. Almost no matter how much I like the anime the movie is underwhelming. I liked this movie (especially the ending) but yea if it wasn't for that ending sequence this would have been a massive let down.
I didnt think it was bad, but I expected more. The last good anime movie I watched was maybe 'Your Name'. Watched a few years ago, but the animation, art, colouring and feel of the movie was special. The story wasnt anything amazing but man it was great. Try that one if you have time.

Anybody who enjoyed Ran to Haiiro no Sekai/Ran and the Gray World should go check out Tongari Booshi No Atorie/Witch Hat Atelier.

I didnt think it was bad, but I expected more. The last good anime movie I watched was maybe 'Your Name'. Watched a few years ago, but the animation, art, colouring and feel of the movie was special. The story wasnt anything amazing but man it was great. Try that one if you have time.
Your name, Weathering with you and Garden of Words are all brilliant for animation. Weathering with you was the movie after Your Name.

Your name, Weathering with you and Garden of Words are all brilliant for animation. Weathering with you was the movie after Your Name.
Wow, never knew that. Actually gonna give that a watch. The animation, compositioning, art and colouring were sublime in Your Name. I dont even care too much about the story if I can get a visual feast again. Thanks man.

Wow, never knew that. Actually gonna give that a watch. The animation, compositioning, art and colouring were sublime in Your Name. I dont even care too much about the story if I can get a visual feast again. Thanks man.

@JBSchroeds

Don't know if you've been following Gosu but it seems to be wrapping up with a pretty damn satisfying ending for Gong and Yeri.

I got really bored and decided to watch Sk8 the Infinity. I wound up watching the whole thing. I'm surprised by how much I liked it. It didn't seem like the sort of thing that'd be up my alley since I'm not too big on sports anime, and I really couldn't give less of a shit about skateboarding, but I really enjoyed it. Maybe the fact that I neither know nor care much about skateboarding helped my enjoyment of it, since, rather than being distracted by how unrealistic the skateboarding scenes were, I could just sit back and enjoy the over the top animation.

Also, the villain is basically the lovechild of Dio and Hisoka on a skateboard, so that didn't hurt :p.

On that note, does anyone have any recommendations for new-ish anime that aren't about angry teenagers punching each other? I'm a bit bored of shonen battle anime at the moment.

So I was basically expecting episode 19 level of animation from the Demon Slayer movie, and we had maybe 2-3 moments of that calibre in a 2 hour movie.

For the hype...I expected more? Demon Slayer is a cookie cutter shonen with amazing animation, but the movie was underwhelming.

I liked it, but imo anime really excels at telling longer stories, and a two hour long movie doesn't quite do it justice. I didn't expect the twist at the end.. Also needs more Nezuko

I liked it, but imo anime really excels at telling longer stories, and a two hour long movie doesn't quite do it justice. I didn't expect the twist at the end.. Also needs more Nezuko
Story isnt really the strong suit for Demon Slayer, I guarantee without the animation, that this wouldnt even be a big deal. Its the fighting, great character designs and animation thats made this a hit. Other than it being basically a retread of every Shonen trope.

In movie format, it fails apparently. I cant recall a good Shonen movie at all.

Story isnt really the strong suit for Demon Slayer, I guarantee without the animation, that this wouldnt even be a big deal. Its the fighting, great character designs and animation thats made this a hit. Other than it being basically a retread of every Shonen trope.

It's not a strong suit but they didn't mess it up. They could have easily made a shitty story and lose people like me. It is VERY subjective but Demon Hunter hits all the right notes even being a cookie cutter story about revenge, redemption and demon slaying. Adding a Michael Jackson look-alike as the main villain is simply the cherry on top of the entire presentation. LOL.

It's not a strong suit but they didn't mess it up. They could have easily made a shitty story and lose people like me. It is VERY subjective but Demon Hunter hits all the right notes even being a cookie cutter story about revenge, redemption and demon slaying. Adding a Michael Jackson look-alike as the main villain is simply the cherry on top of the entire presentation. LOL.
I guess some will find something to like, but it didnt impress me, and one of the cooler characters that I wanted to see more of in season 2, was killed.

I still think the show is okay but has special moments. Episode 19 made my jaw drop. Insane animation from the team.

I guess some will find something to like, but it didnt impress me, and one of the cooler characters that I wanted to see more of in season 2, was killed.

I still think the show is okay but has special moments. Episode 19 made my jaw drop. Insane animation from the team.

Yeah the Anime is 100% the reason this story got popular, the Manga Story is 100% straight forward and nothing overly special to the Shonen genre.

My Hero Academia Heroes Rising.

Back