The Analogue Super NT --- The Super Nintendo of your dreams...

Explaining to someone that they don't understand what a word means isn't moving a goalpost.

giphy.gif

The breakdown of physical cartridge conditions resulting in ceased functionality is an irrefutable reality of that era of gaming. This is why there are still cartridges sold in "For Parts Only" condition on eBay today.

This is quite entertaining coming from someone who entered the thread by cramming his own foot down his throat because he was so gung-ho looking to pick a fight that he didn't take the time to read the thread.

558diw.jpg

The breakdown of physical cartridge conditions resulting in ceased functionality is an irrefutable reality of that era of gaming. This is why there are still cartridges sold in "For Parts Only" condition on eBay today.

This is quite entertaining coming from someone who entered the thread by cramming his own foot down his throat because he was so gung-ho looking to pick a fight that he didn't take the time to read the thread.

558diw.jpg

So broken cartridges on eBay are a sign of mass deterioration. GTFO.

This is actually quite entertaining for me. It always interesting to see how you'll try to change the conversation when you're proven wrong.

Odd standard of proof: naysaying points raised which don't actually address their validity, and not understanding what words mean. As I pointed out, "deterioration" encompasses "physical damage" including through use. It's just that normally we refer to this kind of damage as "wear". This is true for all computer hardware. As someone who owned a Super Nintendo, I'm quite familiar with how cartridges would sometimes just stop working after years of us, and none of the usual tricks or troubleshoots would restore functionality. It was more of a problem with the NES, but it happened with the SNES.

More saliently, again, I don't understand what is gained by "already owning" something when what you own has no value: it is free. The entire SNES library can be downloaded for free as a single zip file.

But, for the sake of theory, let's say that someone has a lot of working cartridges in perfect condition after these past few decades. These cartridges suffer no wear from repeating insertions into the unit, the heat-stress of the electricity that courses through them, or the dust and general exposure to air that erodes virtually everything over time. It causes one to wonder why SNES cartridges in mint condition so often sell for such high values on places like eBay. Furthermore, it provokes one to wonder...why would there be a demand for this device at all? Why don't these people have perfect, pristine, ageless Super Nintendos in working condition to run these perfect, pristine, ageless cartridges?

Oh well, that's moot. If someone truly desires this product, my words won't stop them, but I see little harm in enlightening the forum to a much cheaper (though superior) alternative for playing SNES games, and not just those you owned on cartridge. After all, this device costs $190, doesn't it?
Not everyone has $200 to drop on a Shield. A Raspberry Pi can be done for much cheaper.
So true. The difference is emulation, unlike the Raspberry Pi, isn't inferior.

Anyone have one of these? I was able to finally snag one this morning before they sold out again. SNES is my favorite console and have been planning on getting a little collection going once they restocked.
How much did you pay? I think I'd rather have an SNES with some S Video cables and Retrotink instead.

How much did you pay? I think I'd rather have an SNES with some S Video cables and Retrotink instead.
$216 with shipping. I wanted great accuracy to my 4K tv and sound system. Can always get a rom cart for games I don’t want to collect.

Just glanced at this thread, but isn't this just an FPGA? Seems like a modern incarnation of the Retron 5 or somethi g like that.

Odd standard of proof: naysaying points raised which don't actually address their validity, and not understanding what words mean. As I pointed out, "deterioration" encompasses "physical damage" including through use. It's just that normally we refer to this kind of damage as "wear". This is true for all computer hardware. As someone who owned a Super Nintendo, I'm quite familiar with how cartridges would sometimes just stop working after years of us, and none of the usual tricks or troubleshoots would restore functionality. It was more of a problem with the NES, but it happened with the SNES.

More saliently, again, I don't understand what is gained by "already owning" something when what you own has no value: it is free. The entire SNES library can be downloaded for free as a single zip file.

But, for the sake of theory, let's say that someone has a lot of working cartridges in perfect condition after these past few decades. These cartridges suffer no wear from repeating insertions into the unit, the heat-stress of the electricity that courses through them, or the dust and general exposure to air that erodes virtually everything over time. It causes one to wonder why SNES cartridges in mint condition so often sell for such high values on places like eBay. Furthermore, it provokes one to wonder...why would there be a demand for this device at all? Why don't these people have perfect, pristine, ageless Super Nintendos in working condition to run these perfect, pristine, ageless cartridges?

Oh well, that's moot. If someone truly desires this product, my words won't stop them, but I see little harm in enlightening the forum to a much cheaper (though superior) alternative for playing SNES games, and not just those you owned on cartridge. After all, this device costs $190, doesn't it?

So true. The difference is emulation, unlike the Raspberry Pi, isn't inferior.

af836d5952619c981a2f5457abcb0fb7.gif

$216 with shipping. I wanted great accuracy to my 4K tv and sound system. Can always get a rom cart for games I don’t want to collect.
The Retrotink is awesome, perfect for the pre-HD consoles. They have one with SCART now too for $100.

Just glanced at this thread, but isn't this just an FPGA? Seems like a modern incarnation of the Retron 5 or somethi g like that.
Yeah, it's not junk like the Retron series. They make an NES and Genesis too.

Yep, that's why it's superior to emulation.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/7/16934180/super-nt-review-super-nintendo-snes-analogue

The Super NT’s secret sauce is a processor called a field-programmable gate array or, as the kids call it, an FPGA. What makes an FPGA uniquely capable for this use is its ability to simulate the actual hardware inside of a Super Nintendo. So instead of Analogue having to stockpile legacy Ricoh 5A22 CPUs — good luck finding a bunch of those without ripping apart Super Nintendos — or using a clone chip designed to closely match the performance of the original, the Super NT’s FPGA can be loaded with a “core” that makes it, for all intents and purposes, a Super Nintendo. It’s this pursuit of accuracy that distinguishes Analogue’s approach to retro gaming from even the best clone systems or emulator-based solutions, like Nintendo’s own Super NES Classic.

To elaborate on what I wrote above three years ago:
How SNES emulators got a few pixels from complete perfection

What are those few remaining, stubborn, imperfect pixels?

Yep. That's right. SNES emulation is now 100% perfect across 1755 of the game's 1756 official releases. The lone remaining imperfection is that Air Strike Patrol has double lines. The horror.

In fact, emulators are superior to analog copycat machines like this one because they have added tools that add functionality to the games giving you greater control. You can automatically upscale the games to higher modern resolutions. You can add pause or save state features for convenience that didn't exist on the original machine. All sorts of stuff. You also don't depend on cartridges of games in perfect condition, and those cartridges always deteriorated over time or with use.

Input lag? Not a thing. Just get your settings right. This is true whether you use a USB SNES controller, or if you use your current PS5/PS4 or Xbox controller. Games are all automatically mapped to the modern dual analog controllers, and it's almost always perfect without needing to change which button controls which action, but you can change whatever you like:

Meanwhile, there are easily obtainable zip files out there will every single SNES game ever made, and you can launch these in BSNES via a front-end like Launchbox that will download all the box art, music, and promotional materials from the game's release automatically (like Plex does for movies for any who have used that). Plenty of YouTube tutorial videos that take you through it step by step.

Your computer can do all of this for free.

It's not emulation, and THAT is the point.

The Super NT’s secret sauce is a processor called a field-programmable gate array or, as the kids call it, an FPGA. What makes an FPGA uniquely capable for this use is its ability to simulate the actual hardware inside of a Super Nintendo. So instead of Analogue having to stockpile legacy Ricoh 5A22 CPUs — good luck finding a bunch of those without ripping apart Super Nintendos — or using a clone chip designed to closely match the performance of the original, the Super NT’s FPGA can be loaded with a “core” that makes it, for all intents and purposes, a Super Nintendo. It’s this pursuit of accuracy that distinguishes Analogue’s approach to retro gaming from even the best clone systems or emulator-based solutions, like Nintendo’s own Super NES Classic.

It's not emulation, and THAT is the point.

Yes, I went over the theory. Practically, you can see for yourself the only difference in the screenshots for that single game. Audio, latency, everything else is perfect. The means is irrelevant to the end.

This reminds me of an article written by an engineer over a decade ago I've mentioned in the past. He assessed the mathematical difference respective to the source audio between Blu-Ray audio and HD-DVD audio which was so heavily touted to audiophiles at the time. He concluded that the if you were mapping the difference from L.A. to NYC, the difference was the HD-DVD would be 2 inches more accurate.

Meanwhile, the trade-off is the vast superiority of the software ecosystem which ties in. This is why emulation is superior.

This is gamer kitsch nostalgia fetishism. It explains precisely why so many Super Nintendo cartridges sell for so much on eBay despite that their content is freely available. It isn't about the games. It's about collector consumerism.

There's no more to be said that is productive. Everyone will decide for himself or herself what they value.

Yes, I went over the theory. Practically, you can see for yourself the only difference in the screenshots for that single game. Audio, latency, everything else is perfect. The means is irrelevant to the end.

This reminds me of an article written by an engineer over a decade ago I've mentioned in the past. He assessed the mathematical difference respective to the source audio between Blu-Ray audio and HD-DVD audio which was so heavily touted to audiophiles at the time. He concluded that the if you were mapping the difference from L.A. to NYC, the difference was the HD-DVD would be 2 inches more accurate.

Meanwhile, the trade-off is the vast superiority of the software ecosystem which ties in. This is why emulation is superior.

This is gamer kitsch nostalgia fetishism. It explains precisely why so many Super Nintendo cartridges sell for so much on eBay despite that their content is freely available. It isn't about the games. It's about collector consumerism.

There's no more to be said that is productive. Everyone will decide for himself or herself what they value.

What??

Retro games are ULTRA HOT right now.

Comics are ULTRA HOT right now.

YES, one can download both for free, but.............................so what?

You bring up consumerism... Ok. So?

I really don't understand your point.

The Analogue Super NT is a SUUUPER LAUDED system...but like I said. Don't take my word for it.

Modern Vintage Gamer is WELL RESPECTED. He rocks.

I already gave you this link, but you didn't respond:

My Life In Gaming is VERY LEGIT:

Spawn Wave chiming in:

Rerez:

Metal Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eW-Enj2cA

This Does Not Compute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6pfRcC-xY

This was embarrassing lol

The Analogue Super NT is a SUUUPER LAUDED system...but like I said. Don't take my word for it.

Modern Vintage Gamer is WELL RESPECTED. He rocks.

I already gave you this link, but you didn't respond:

My Life In Gaming is VERY LEGIT:

Spawn Wave chiming in:

Rerez:

Metal Jesus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eW-Enj2cA

This Does Not Compute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj6pfRcC-xY

I do not dispute its fidelity. I dispute that there is anything gained by it, but you appear to concede that, finally:
What??

Retro games are ULTRA HOT right now.

Comics are ULTRA HOT right now.

YES, one can download both for free, but.............................so what?

You bring up consumerism... Ok. So?

I really don't understand your point.
Because you can play the entire library for free, and with greater ancillary software.

I do not dispute its fidelity. I dispute that there is anything gained by it, but you appear to concede that, finally:

Because you can play the entire library for free, and with greater ancillary software.

"Free".

You can get an FPGA that plays CARTS for "free". LOL

The Super NT is BETTER than emulation..................

But hey, I get it, you refuse to watch ANY of the videos that I presented.

Whatever.

Take care.

This was embarrassing lol

Yeah. I can't make sense of it. The Super NT is NOT emulation. The Super NT is NOT like the countless retro systems out that which EMULATE games.

He seems upset because...well, I don't know why. lol

I totally do not understand what he is trying to say. -_-

Yes, one can download ROMS and play on any number of devices, but...some people want a BETTER experience and PLUG & PLAY.

Color me perplexed by his responses.

Back