The Analogue Super NT --- The Super Nintendo of your dreams...

I don't really care for the super accurate perfect emulators. I too have a giant retro collection and for the past 8 years or so it has stayed boxed up as I just buy old games I like from the psn/nintendo/xbox online stores and play them with all the modern conveniences.

I pre ordered one and get it around the first week of next month. I'm a sucker for stuff like this.

Well, not really.

If you want to buy a sought after Super Nintendo (1CHIP) then the price difference isn't that much compared the the Super NT.

For someone like me, (who has a retro gaming room of note) the Super NT is pretty rad.
Really? I have an original SNES, two controllers, and like 15 games. $20 total at a garage sale....

Really? I have an original SNES, two controllers, and like 15 games. $20 total at a garage sale....

lol

It's rad that you got a deal, but...the average person cannot spend $20 for what you got.

Duh.

lol

It's rad that you got a deal, but...the average person cannot spend $20 for what you got.

Duh.
Im an average person. You just have to shop around at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. patience is key.

Im an average person. You just have to shop around at garage sales, thrift stores, etc. patience is key.

Actually, I think the cost of the Super NT is more comparable to someone who wants to use their original gaming hardware on a Modern TV at the best quality with the least lag. That part in bold is important. You can still easily use the composite AV cables on a lot of newer TVs, but the picture quality is horrible. While you can go out of your way to get a hold of a $20 AV to HDMI converter for those TVs who don't have the AV inputs, but the problem with those converters are that they introduce lag. Sometimes the native post-processing on many modern TVs is bad enough to make a lot of original SNES games unplayable. The cost that goes into being able to play original hardware in the best quality with the least lag, can involve high-quality converters and scalers, possible console mods, and the appropriate cabling to implement the use of those components completely eclipses the price of a used console and a handful of games at a garage sale.

So what type of cost are we looking at? If needed, the RGB mod on the console (about $70 from most reputable places), RGB cables ($25 for high quality cables at most reputable shops), and high-quality converter/scaler (ranging anywhere from $200 to $450 depending on if you got a OSSC or Framemeister). So you are probably looking at $225 to $545 on average to get an original SNES console working on a Modern TV at the best quality with the least lag.

That in mind, definitely not anything a casual consumer will even ever consider. But for $180 for a new console that is as close as possible (and closer than the grand majority of emulators out there with the exception of one emulator - Higan) that will allow you to play original game media without 30+ years of shelf age isn't too bad in comparison.

I'd be interested in this if it were around £80-100. Maybe up to as much as £120 If it came with a couple of controllers. Too pricey in my opinion.

Actually, I think the cost of the Super NT is more comparable to someone who wants to use their original gaming hardware on a Modern TV at the best quality with the least lag. That part in bold is important. You can still easily use the composite AV cables on a lot of newer TVs, but the picture quality is horrible. While you can go out of your way to get a hold of a $20 AV to HDMI converter for those TVs who don't have the AV inputs, but the problem with those converters are that they introduce lag. Sometimes the native post-processing on many modern TVs is bad enough to make a lot of original SNES games unplayable. The cost that goes into being able to play original hardware in the best quality with the least lag, can involve high-quality converters and scalers, possible console mods, and the appropriate cabling to implement the use of those components completely eclipses the price of a used console and a handful of games at a garage sale.

So what type of cost are we looking at? If needed, the RGB mod on the console (about $70 from most reputable places), RGB cables ($25 for high quality cables at most reputable shops), and high-quality converter/scaler (ranging anywhere from $200 to $450 depending on if you got a OSSC or Framemeister). So you are probably looking at $225 to $545 on average to get an original SNES console working on a Modern TV at the best quality with the least lag.

That in mind, definitely not anything a casual consumer will even ever consider. But for $180 for a new console that is as close as possible (and closer than the grand majority of emulators out there with the exception of one emulator - Higan) that will allow you to play original game media without 30+ years of shelf age isn't too bad in comparison.

ACE post bro.

Fucking ace.

You are super on point, and Higan is exceptional.

But one thing you didn't mention is the cost of a SNES...and of course, 1CHIP is the preferred model. That adds to the overall cost of someone who wants to get great quality from original hardware.

Nope.

You're making it out to be far easier than it actually is to find SNES stuff at garages sales, thrift stores etc.

Whereas that used to be the case several years ago, things are different now.

And I would know, I have amassed a huge collection in large part from bargain hunting, but systems are harder to find now, and games are... $$$

I didn't take that into account. I had an old CRT monitor with a built in VHS player LOL
Nope.

You're making it out to be far easier than it actually is to find SNES stuff at garages sales, thrift stores etc.

Whereas that used to be the case several years ago, things are different now.

And I would know, I have amassed a huge collection in large part from bargain hunting, but systems are harder to find now, and games are... $$$
Maybe I under estimated that aspect of it, true.

ACE post bro.

Fucking ace.

You are super on point, and Higan is exceptional.

But one thing you didn't mention is the cost of a SNES...and of course, 1CHIP is the preferred model. That adds to the overall cost of someone who wants to get great quality from original hardware.
Well, I am looking at it from the standpoint of someone who already has the applicable consoles, but is weighing the costs of going through the process of going RGB. Thankfully, most of the classic consoles output RGB natively, so I only need to concern myself with cables. Now the NES, SNES and N64, those have to be modded for it. The NES mod runs $150 on average, so I might end up getting a RetroUSB AVS since I'm dealing with 30 year-old hardware in the first place, and the cost is comparable to the Mod and Cable. The SNES and N64 mods are a modest $50 (plus whatever shipping is involved) to get it done. I've already got an OSSC, and a 5 port SCART switch. So yeah, I've already looked into the in's and out's of this. But again, I wouldn't qualify as your casual consumer.

I didn't take that into account. I had an old CRT monitor with a built in VHS player LOL
Yeah, I still have my old CRT/VHS/DVD combo laying in wait. However, I do want to make the upgrades to connect to a modern TV for future use. Besides that, the difference in picture quality can be amazing (especially if you have a large / 55"+ display):

Some comparison shots:
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Also, let's be honest, the Super NT isn't out there to convince anyone to start playing SNES games. It's more for the obsessed video-file fans who have a number of original cartridges that they want to play on modern TVs. It really is not for the casual consumer.

Also, let's be honest, the Super NT isn't out there to convince anyone to start playing SNES games. It's more for the obsessed video-file fans who have a number of original cartridges that they want to play on modern TVs. It really is not for the casual consumer.

Of course.

The reason I made this thread is partially because there are actually a few serious retro gaming fans up in here.

At the time that I made this thread, all pre-order color schemes were available, but now the Super Famicom and North American color schemes are sold out.

The folks at Analogue NT did a great job in marketing it. They simply gave test models out to almost all the most well known retro-gaming influences on YouTube (MJR, My Life in Gaming, Digital Foundry, Game Sack, and Cinemassacre - amongst others) and let them use and test the units for weeks until they were ready to drop reviews around the release time of the product. All the reviews are stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out and start producing second and third runs soon.

The folks at Analogue NT did a great job in marketing it. They simply gave test models out to almost all the most well known retro-gaming influences on YouTube (MJR, My Life in Gaming, Digital Foundry, Game Sack, and Cinemassacre - amongst others) and let them use and test the units for weeks until they were ready to drop reviews around the release time of the product. All the reviews are stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if they sell out and start producing second and third runs soon.

They did a GREAT job indeed, and in regards to the supply, the 2nd round is almost sold out. Once they sell through x number of remaining (less popular colors) then they will offer all color schemes again.

Anyone have one of these? I was able to finally snag one this morning before they sold out again. SNES is my favorite console and have been planning on getting a little collection going once they restocked.

Back