The Analogue Super NT --- The Super Nintendo of your dreams...

Anyone have one of these? I was able to finally snag one this morning before they sold out again. SNES is my favorite console and have been planning on getting a little collection going once they restocked.

I do. I've bought and re-bought it many times. lol

I have some for myself, and I gave some away.

It is a GREAT system.

To elaborate on what I wrote above three years ago:
How SNES emulators got a few pixels from complete perfection
Where we are
Today, SNES emulation is in a very good place. Barring unusual peripherals that are resistant to emulation (such as a light-sensor based golf club, an exercise bike, or a dial-up modem used to place real-money bets on live horse races in Japan), every officially licensed SNES title is fully playable, and no game is known to have any glaring issues.

SNES emulation has gotten so precise that I've even taken to splitting my emulator into two versions: higan, which focuses on absolute accuracy and hardware documentation; and bsnes, which focuses on performance, features, and ease of use.

Some amazing things have come out of SNES emulation recently, including:
... and much more!

So that's it, right? Kudos on a job well done, thanks for all the fish? Well... not quite.

Today, we enjoy cycle-level accuracy for nearly every component of the SNES. The sole exception is the PPUs (picture processing units), which are used to generate the video frames sent to your screen. We mostly know how the PPUs work, but we have to make guesses for some functionality that result in less than total perfection.

The remaining issues are relatively small ones, in the grand scheme of things. If you're not interested in the pursuit of one hundred percent faithful emulation perfection for its own sake, I am not going to be able to convince you of the need for improving SNES PPU emulation further. As with any goal in life, the closer we get to perfection, the smaller the returns.

I can tell you why this is important to me: it's my life's work, and I don't want to have to say I came this close to finishing without getting the last piece of it right. I'm getting older, and I won't be around forever. I want this final piece solved so that I can feel confident in my retirement that the SNES has been faithfully and completely preserved through emulation. No stone was left unturned, no area left unfinished. I want to say that it's done.
What are those few remaining, stubborn, imperfect pixels?
Why does this matter?
With the exception of one game (Air Strike Patrol), all officially licensed SNES software is (intended to be) scanline based. These games do not attempt to change the PPU rendering state in the middle of an actively rendering scanline (a programming trick known as a “raster effect”). That means the timing to run the vast majority of games doesn't need to be incredibly precise; as long as you’re ready in time for the next full scanline, you’re OK.

But it does matter for this one game.
air-strike-c.png
Yep. That's right. SNES emulation is now 100% perfect across 1755 of the game's 1756 official releases. The lone remaining imperfection is that Air Strike Patrol has double lines. The horror.

In fact, emulators are superior to analog copycat machines like this one because they have added tools that add functionality to the games giving you greater control. You can automatically upscale the games to higher modern resolutions. You can add pause or save state features for convenience that didn't exist on the original machine. All sorts of stuff. You also don't depend on cartridges of games in perfect condition, and those cartridges always deteriorated over time or with use.

Input lag? Not a thing. Just get your settings right. This is true whether you use a USB SNES controller, or if you use your current PS5/PS4 or Xbox controller. Games are all automatically mapped to the modern dual analog controllers, and it's almost always perfect without needing to change which button controls which action, but you can change whatever you like:

Meanwhile, there are easily obtainable zip files out there will every single SNES game ever made, and you can launch these in BSNES via a front-end like Launchbox that will download all the box art, music, and promotional materials from the game's release automatically (like Plex does for movies for any who have used that). Plenty of YouTube tutorial videos that take you through it step by step.

Your computer can do all of this for free.

Yep. That's right. SNES emulation is now 100% perfect across 1755 of the game's 1756 official releases. The lone remaining imperfection is that Air Strike Patrol has double lines. The horror.

In fact, emulators are superior to analog copycat machines like this one because they have added tools that add functionality to the games giving you greater controls. You can automatically upscale the games to higher modern resolutions. You can add pause or save state features for convenience that didn't exist on the original machine. All sorts of stuff. You also don't depend on cartridges of games in perfect condition, and those cartridges always deteriorated over time or with use.

Input lag? Not a thing. Just get your settings right. This is true whether you use a USB SNES controller, or you use your current PS5/PS4 or Xbox controller. Games are all automatically mapped to the modern dual analog controllers, and it's almost always perfect without needing to change which button controls which action, but you can change whatever you like:

Meanwhile, there are easily obtainable zip files out there will every single SNES game ever made, and you can launch these in BSNES via a front-end like Launchbox that will download all the box art, music, and promotional materials from the game's release automatically (like Plex does for movies for any who have used that). Plenty of YouTube tutorial videos that take you through it step by step.

The Analogue Super NT is AMAZING.

It is arguably the VERY BEST way to play SNES games on a modern TV.

Straight up.

The Analogue Super NT is AMAZING.

It is arguably the VERY BEST way to play SNES games on a modern TV.

Straight up.
I educated you on this three years ago. There is no difference except that it is a less capable interface with SNES's library-- a less capable interface that costs money.

Oh, except for Air Patrol. Yeah, definitely worth it for Air Patrol superfans.

I educated you on this three years ago. There is no difference except that it is a less capable interface with SNES's library-- a less capable interface that costs money.

Oh, except for Air Patrol. Yeah, definitely worth it for Air Patrol superfans.

Don't take my word for it.

Look at any number of SUPER IN-DEPTH reviews such as this:

Don't take my word for it.

Look at any number of SUPER IN-DEPTH reviews such as this:

You'll have to point me to the part where it addresses the fact this device offers nothing that emulation doesn't besides physical cartridge support.

You'll have to point me to the part where it addresses the fact this device offers nothing that emulation doesn't besides physical cartridge support.

LOL

That's the main reason why many gamers/collectors LOVE the Super NT.

The ability to simply plug and play in a MODERN TV is awesome.

On a final note, I am a game designer/artist (among other things) and I have various rigs for gaming. I know what you're saying in terms of CHEAPER alternatives, but that does not take away from how awesome the Super NT is.

...but you are not a fan, and that's cool.

Take care and have a great day! :)

LOL

That's the main reason why many gamers/collectors LOVE the Super NT.

The ability to simply plug and play in a MODERN TV is awesome.

On a final note, I am a game designer/artist (among other things) and I have various rigs for gaming. I know what you're saying in terms of CHEAPER alternatives, but that does not take away from how awesome the Super NT is.

...but you are not a fan, and that's cool.

Take care and have a great day! :)
This is why I think you don't fully comprehend the nature of emulation. You can plug an emulation machine into a modern TV. There is no advantage of input, here. Furthermore, emulation and associated software aren't just cheaper (i.e. free), they're superior. They offer more robust control and peripheral support.

Hey nerds how you doing ? What’s a cheap emulator for SNES that comes with the games or is easy to set up I love these old games and my kids are getting old enough to start playing

This is why I think you don't fully comprehend the nature of emulation. You can plug an emulation machine into a modern TV. There is no advantage of input, here. Furthermore, emulation and associated software aren't just cheaper (i.e. free), they're superior. They offer more robust control and peripheral support.

Geez.

You hate the Super NT, I get it.

Your bias is on full display.

For MANY hardcore gamers/collectors, the Super NT is the BEST way to play SNES games. Like I said, don't take my word for it, as there are NUMEROUS articles and videos about it.

Not everyone is apt to mess about with putting an emulation machine together, which is the the NES and SNES Classic sold well, and those are CRAP in terms of comparing them to playing the ACTUAL games.

...whereas, using the Super NT is INDEED like playing the real games...but on a MODERN TV.

In fact, emulators are superior to analog copycat machines like this one because they have added tools that add functionality to the games giving you greater control. You can automatically upscale the games to higher modern resolutions. You can add pause or save state features for convenience that didn't exist on the original machine. All sorts of stuff. You also don't depend on cartridges of games in perfect condition, and those cartridges always deteriorated over time or with use.

Input lag? Not a thing. Just get your settings right. This is true whether you use a USB SNES controller, or if you use your current PS5/PS4 or Xbox controller. Games are all automatically mapped to the modern dual analog controllers, and it's almost always perfect without needing to change which button controls which action, but you can change whatever you like:

Can you play your SNES cartridges on those pc emulators?
People are buying the SuperNT to play the cartridges they already own on modern tv's.

5582vn.jpg

Last edited:
Geez.

You hate the Super NT, I get it.

Your bias is on full display.

For MANY hardcore gamers/collectors, the Super NT is the BEST way to play SNES games. Like I said, don't take my word for it, as there are NUMEROUS articles and videos about it.

Not everyone is apt to mess about with putting an emulation machine together, which is the the NES and SNES Classic sold well, and those are CRAP in terms of comparing them to playing the ACTUAL games.

...whereas, using the Super NT is INDEED like playing the real games...but on a MODERN TV.
My bias?

The only reason I came into this thread when you made it years ago was to correct the ignorance in the OP, "and it KILLS emulators of all kinds." I've provided an updated 2020 article explaining that emulation is perfect for 1755 of 1756 SNES games.

I say this so that everyone realizes the alternative to these monetization schemes for decades-old games which already saw a rich return on investment for the companies that made them many times over.
Can you play your SNES cartridges on those pc emulators?
People are buying the SuperNT to play the cartridges they already own on modern tv's.

5582vn.jpg
Keep up, Forrest:
You also don't depend on cartridges of games in perfect condition, and those cartridges always deteriorated over time or with use.
"Cartridges they already own" doesn't mean shit when the entire library is available for free.

My bias?

The only reason I came into this thread when you made it years ago was to correct the ignorance in the OP, "and it KILLS emulators of all kinds." I've provided an updated 2020 article explaining that emulation is perfect for 1755 of 1756 SNES games.

I say this so that everyone realizes the alternative to these monetization schemes for decades-old games which already saw a rich return on investment for the companies that made them many times over.

Keep up, Forrest:

"Cartridges they already own" doesn't mean shit when the entire library is available for free.

What system has a mass problem with it's cartridges deteriorating?

You're totally missing the point of the Super NT. You've joined the "just download an emulator" crowd.

giphy.gif

That isn't deterioration, that's physical damage.

Look guys, the PS5 is already deteriorating! JUST LOOK AT IT!
2020111511123826_1.jpg

Thanks for playing though.
Also, there's no mass problem of SNES cartridges deteriorating. GTFO.

Edit: Actually, you know what. @GhostZ06 is there a mass problem with SNES cartridges deteriorating? Or any other cartridge based system?

Explaining to someone that they don't understand what a word means isn't moving a goalpost.

Back