Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

I’ll be honest, I don’t really subscribe to that reasoning. A lot of things like this are called “divisive,” and what is meant by that term is simply that it upsets white people. That’s what makes it “divisive.” For decades, there were racist depictions of American Americans, all sorts of tropes, stereotypes, and jokes, but it wasn’t viewed by whites as divisive because most didn’t care what African Americans thought, and had a societal position of power anyhow in which African Americans didn’t have a sufficient voice to make the complaint heard.

I actually think it’s a little bit ironic to say, “Keeping white people happy so they don't hurt blacks doesn't help in today's climate,” with the proposed solution being that black filmmakers should not make this film, in order to keep whites happy.

If people aren’t interested in this topic or film, they won’t go see the movie, which seems to be the case anyhow.
I think upsetting the majority is by definition divisive.

Less divisive by definition. And it s fallacious to upset the majority just because the minority was upset in the past.
<Huh2>

Hoo boy. Well, no one can claim that you don’t hold true to conservatives ideals. :rolleyes: There’s so much wrong with this take, I hardly know where to start.

Firstly, the magical negro trope isn’t some thing from long ago that doesn’t exist anymore. It comes up in contemporary cinema as well. But furthermore, it’s comical to act like something that affected minorities years ago, which they largely couldn’t comment on artistically because they had no voice to do so, also can’t be commented on now that they do have the voice simply because “oh, that happened in the past.” I guess it should just never be mentioned, dealt with, or expressed in art at all?

In this view, it would be “fallacious” to teach about the Holocaust in Germany, simply because it happened long ago and Jews make up a sliver of the overall population. God forbid we upset them! I also can’t imagine adhering to that POV is demographics changed over time, and those in the majority here now found themselves in the minority in the future. In fact, we’ve already seen how conservatives respond to that: rig the maps so that they win no matter what.

But this is the “Might Makes Right” mindset of the modern conservatives: “It’s bad to upset us because there are more of us than there are of you, and we’re in power; it’s ok for us to upset you, because there are less of you so you can’t complain as loudly.”

The fact that people think this way in 2024 is abhorrent.

I looked up magical negro to see examples of the trope in movies and this movie popped up naturally, saw the director and basically I’m not surprised. Light skinned and privileged.

There really isn’t many examples

The prime one would be John Coffey in Green Mile…but after that they say Morpheus in Matrix or GOD in Bruce Almighty..which is ridiculous

I’m sure it ultimately just means any black character who isn’t the main character in a movie where a white person is.

Well if the serious message is that whites are innately bad to blacks then its not a premise I think is good imo.

The message seems more like that those demographics in power will lash out at those with less power if they become unhappy so placating them is in the minorities best interest. In the setting of American history they would be whites discriminating against blacks.

satire movies are the best
"A team of extraterrestrial homosexual black men from the planet Anus are on a quest to free the planet Earth from the grip of vicious women."

I've actually watched this before, and it's bizarre (and short). It's actually women who are the brunt of the jokes in it; rescuing men from nagging wives lol.

The message seems more like that those demographics in power will lash out at those with less power if they become unhappy so placating them is in the minorities best interest. In the setting of American history they would be whites discriminating against blacks.
I get it and I'm really not concerned that much over it. But is it a pure comedy or does it have a message. Seems like according to the director and actor that it does. I'm just not down for things that drive us further apart using a serious message disguised as satire..

I've actually watched this before, and it's bizarre (and short). It's actually women who are the brunt of the jokes in it; rescuing men from nagging wives lol.
yeah it's about 24 minutes long if i remember correctly, and it's quite bad. i think it's still on youtube somewhere, much to my surprise, was thinking there'd be a lot of screaming about it.

I get it and I'm really not concerned that much over it. But is it a pure comedy or does it have a message. Seems like according to the director and actor that it does. I'm just not down for things that drive us further apart using a serious message disguised as satire..
you can't make money through concord these days.

Director literally set out to attack white people. Good news is he can sleep easy on his giant pile of cash... oh

Director literally set out to attack white people. Good news is he can sleep easy on his giant pile of cash... oh

What a shocker.

I see hypocrites are still justifying this movie while they wouldn't if it was towards any non white group.

Ain’t watching it cause it’s a romcom and they love their fucking job.

Fuck that movie

Damn. Pretty bad when "Bros" outshines you.

Surely you posted in with a "It's a stupid video game. Who cares." post in the Resident Evil 5 thread concerning people bitching of how native African characters were rendered?

Or, does black victimhood not get a nod from you?

No idea WTF Resident Evil thread you're talking about. If there are black people in Resident Evil, IDGAF.

I thought this film was going to be a satire on the old magical negro trope. The trailers/reviews look like typical hate whitey racist trash, anyone actually see it though?

Key and Peel had a great skit on this, im sure someone posted it.

Back