Social The American Society of Magical Negroes. Leftist racism on full display.

Well if the serious message is that whites are innately bad to blacks then its not a premise I think is good imo.
I haven't seen the movie but the impression I get is that its satirizing the magical negro trope which is fine on its own though it could be done in an obnoxious way. My point is simply that social commentary is inherent to satire, not that all satire is necessarily good.

The more normalized a certain kind of message is the lazier filmmakers can be with communicating it. I tend to think that a lot of the best progressive media in regards to things like representation came out in the early 2010s right before the Great Awokening when it tended to be done by bold, inventive creators that had to moderate their messaging. Nowadays its mostly low effort stuff that studios are trying to cash in on.

I haven't seen the movie but the impression I get is that its satirizing the magical negro trope which is fine on its own though it could be done in an obnoxious way. My point is simply that social commentary is inherent to satire, not that all satire is necessarily good.

The more normalized a certain kind of message is the lazier filmmakers can be with communicating it. I tend to think that a lot of the best progressive media in regards to things like representation came out in the early 2010s right before the Great Awokening when it tended to be done by bold, inventive creators that had to moderate their messaging. Nowadays its mostly low effort stuff that studios are trying to cash in on.
Good points. But the "magical negro" trope could have been used in different ways in relation to whites. Typically the trope is a black person helps some white main character. It could have been done without the serious undertones of today as the director described as his intent. Agreed on the low effort movies that studios try to cash in on.

It's just a bad satire movie. Why so worked up about it? It just plays up the magical negro trope?

Edit: I think I saw Lizzo floating. I am going to watch this.

David Alan Grier puzzles me. He was great on In Living Color. Men on Film is one of the funniest sketches ever. I never understood why he didn't have a bigger career until I saw him on Rich Eisen.

It turns out that he had plenty of opportunities to become big but turned them down. He might be more famous for turning down: Seinfeld, Forrest Gump and Pet Ventura, than for what he actually did do.

It could be a joke, but I doubt they would find it as funny if it were reversed, kind of like dear white people show. This is a one way street

It could be a joke, but I doubt they would find it as funny if it were reversed, kind of like dear white people show. This is a one way street
Black people were historically oppressed in this country so it makes sense. I'm sure there's double standards around Jews and gentiles in Germany for obvious reasons.

You guys know this is a comedy, a satire right? It’s a David Allen Grier flick.

Im not saying it doesn’t suck or isn't shitty or whatever, I dunno. I haven’t even watched the trailer.
I‘m just putting it out there that this isn’t a serious movie. The “most dangerous animal” thing is a satire, a joke.

It's a satire of the "racist" trope of having magical black characters in film. But it's not trying to satirize identity politics or wokeness

We are not calling ourselves victim. We are calling out the people who call themselves victims and then pull this shit off.

Exposing double standards is not complaining about being a victim, even if it goes against your prefered narrative.

Did you get butthurt over the White Men Can't Jump movies years ago too?

The white victimhood and snowflake complaining on this forum sometimes gets so tiresome. It's a stupid parody movie. Who cares.
who cares? You in every thread when the victim isn’t white… smdh

NGL, I want to watch this. Has potential to get good laughs. Looking up reviews though, seem not that hot either from the "critics" or the casuals.

Saw a live improv comedy sketch session a bit back and they had political correctness in the cross hairs and it was bloody hilarious. Kind of sad tho, because it's kind of like in the professional setting people can't tell the truth, yet in the comedic setting they can.

I guess the other thing is inability to trust reviews, especially critic reviews. The amount of pressure to conform is pretty strong. Could tell with the Dave Chapelle and Bill Burr comedy specials where a few mins of politically incorrect jokes about trans folks or whoever and they all say the entire thing is horrible and not worth watching and of course give no actual critique on the actual finer points of comedy in terms of delivery, weaving stories, misdirection etc. It's just that "oh, they punched down on a trans person, the show wasn't funny" and you wind up with bullshit where 90% of critics say it sucks, and 99% of the audience says they loved it.

I looked up magical negro to see examples of the trope in movies and this movie popped up naturally, saw the director and basically I’m not surprised. Light skinned and privileged.

Yet the director did make it serious:

"One of the things critics talk about is that the ‘magical negro’ trope is a ‘happy slave’ trope," Libii told JoBlo Celebrity Interviews. "It imagines that Black people love fitting themselves into systems of White power. That we're actually quite happy to do that, right? Which I think for a White majority is a really comforting fantasy."

"It's like, ‘Oh, OK, it’s all OK,' like America didn't do anything bad. 'It's all OK,' right? That fantasy I think is really compelling for White people," he continued.

In the same interview, the film's protagonist, played by actor Justice Smith, revealed he also related to his character's experience having to "make himself small" to make the White people around him "feel comfortable."

"It's a lot of people of color's experience," he said. Smith called exploring that dynamic on screen "cathartic."

"To me, part of the political work I’m doing in this film is from the bottom of my heart, not thinking about how a White audience will react to it. But trying to express my particular experience being subjected to systemic racism," he said."

Overall its a message under the guise of satire.

I'm confused. Do you think parody can't have a message?

p09623lw.jpg

And I still don't see the double standard.

satire movies are the best
"A team of extraterrestrial homosexual black men from the planet Anus are on a quest to free the planet Earth from the grip of vicious women."

I'm confused. Do you think parody can't have a message?

p09623lw.jpg

And I still don't see the double standard.
If the message doesn't do anything to help in any positive way then I'm not gonna be for it. In this movie appeasing white people so they don't hurt black people is not great.

The white victimhood and snowflake complaining on this forum sometimes gets so tiresome. It's a stupid parody movie. Who cares.

Surely you posted in with a "It's a stupid video game. Who cares." post in the Resident Evil 5 thread concerning people bitching of how native African characters were rendered?

Or, does black victimhood not get a nod from you?

Back