The All-Encompassing Vitamin D Thread

Masterjohn writes fairly solid stuff; that being said, I'm extremely wary of WAPF material. They are notoriously defensive about CLO, and that has come out since Dr Cannell's study on Vitamin A being atagonistic to vitamin D. It's also eveident in some of the material regarding over-consumption of O3s.

Trying to take away a WAPF'ers CLO is akin to taking away vodka from a chronic alcoholic.

Was that included with the article where he hypothesized that the bell curve observed in that swedish study which showed that higher amounts of D actually increased risk of certain types of cancer was actually due to the fact that most Scandinavian countries get their D from CLO which has high amounts of Vitamin A?

^^^Run on Sentence from hell^^^^

I thought Dr Eades had two interesting articles the other day on his Twitter, which touched on the vitamin D3 debate -how much, safety, and how to obtain D3.

"Maybe it's a combo of supplements and sunlight that gives optimal protection from breast cancer."

&

"Why are so many scientific studies wrong? The streetlight effect"

Michael Eades, M.D. (DrEades) on Twitter

That's a good read but citing that dude who wrote the 4 hour work week was a bit of a miss for me.

Vitamin K2 has been getting good press lately. In fact I'm seeing more Vitamin K2/D3 combo supps being sold.

I just switched from taking calcium tabs to vitamin K2 caps. After doing a little research I decided that k2 was a better overall supplement for skeletal support and had better bioavailability than calcium. There also isn't the same risk of health issues that can arise when you take high dosages of calcium vs the same dosage of k2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I supplement religiously 4000-6000iu of Vit D daily, and have also been taking Magnesium/Zinc and sleeping at LEAST 8.5 hours a night. I came down with a head cold 2 days ago, same symptoms as ever. Hoping it goes away rather than lingers around like would normally happen, but right now my whole worldview is shattered. I was really counting on Vitamin D being a 100% works every time solution to everything.

whats the rest of your diet like?????

sounds like you are just a weak human being.

just kidding, I guess its unavoidable sometimes.

I was really counting on Vitamin D being a 100% works every time solution to everything.

Want a 100% works-every-time solution to the common cold? Keep your hands away from your face, especially your nose.

Has anyone read the Vitamin D solution by Michael holick? I just ordered it last week and I started supplementing 5000iu daily because I havn't been in the sun for a while and I'm pretty sure my levels would be in the insufficient or deficient category.

Has anyone read the Vitamin D solution by Michael holick? I just ordered it last week and I started supplementing 5000iu daily because I havn't been in the sun for a while and I'm pretty sure my levels would be in the insufficient or deficient category.

There is usually no need to supplement 5000IU daily. I would drop it down to every other day since you bought them and then max at 2000IU daily unless you find your levels are actually deficient. Strategy changes at that point a bit.

I've read it, it's quite good. Holick is a little more conservative with his dosages and recommended blood levels. He says that 30 to 40ng/ml is good enough and only recommends 1000 to 2000 iu's per day for most people. Compare that to others who suggest 50 to 80ng/ml(I've seen some suggest even higher) and 5000 to 10,000 iu's per day.

I've read it, it's quite good. Holick is a little more conservative with his dosages and recommended blood levels. He says that 30 to 40ng/ml is good enough and only recommends 1000 to 2000 iu's per day for most people. Compare that to others who suggest 50 to 80ng/ml(I've seen some suggest even higher) and 5000 to 10,000 iu's per day.

lol, I have read 100ng/ml and people supplementing 30,000 a day!!! Stupid people.

lol, I have read 100ng/ml and people supplementing 30,000 a day!!! Stupid people.

I watched one of those online presentations where they show one of those sexy graphs showing multilpe diseases and what blood levels have statistically shown lower incidences of said disease. The graph shows that about 38 to 40ng encompasses MOST of those diseases, yet the presenter recommends everyone shoot for 60 to 80 ng/ml.

Well I am fat, white, and don't get out much. I am supplementing about 5,000 a day. I haven't gotten it tested. I am kind of curious to see what my levels are at.

I've just been taking 2000 iu's a day and not worrying about it.

There is usually no need to supplement 5000IU daily. I would drop it down to every other day since you bought them and then max at 2000IU daily unless you find your levels are actually deficient. Strategy changes at that point a bit.

I'm pretty certain I would be very deficient. Winter has just finished in Australia and I havn't seen the midday sun for a long time. In fact I don't think I've been out in the sun unprotected for years. It's coming into summer so i'll take about 10,000 - 15,000 a day for the next few weeks and then just start getting more midday sun for the next 6 months.

Back