The All-Encompassing Vitamin D Thread

So I read a couple of weeks ago(sorry, can't remember where) that a study was underway looking at the effects of high dose D3(6000+iu's daily) on pregnant women but it was halted due to 'ethical reasons.' Does anyone know what the reasons were? Was it possible complications with the fetuses?

I haven't seen that one, but there is one negative vitamin D study I read about.

In old people given 100,000 units of Vitamin D before the winter season, there was an INCREASE in bone fractures in this group. It was a very counter-intuitive result.

There is one thing to watch out for when supplementing with Vitamin D, other than Vitamin D toxicity, that is too much calcium. In people that get a lot of calcium, lots of Vitamin D can lead to too much calcium in the blood.

I haven't seen that one, but there is one negative vitamin D study I read about.

In old people given 100,000 units of Vitamin D before the winter season, there was an INCREASE in bone fractures in this group. It was a very counter-intuitive result.

There is one thing to watch out for when supplementing with Vitamin D, other than Vitamin D toxicity, that is too much calcium. In people that get a lot of calcium, lots of Vitamin D can lead to too much calcium in the blood.

Yeah I read that one about increase fractures.

really? damn, nutrition is hard.

so calcium will go into your blood instead of bones if you have too much vitamin d?

really? damn, nutrition is hard.

so calcium will go into your blood instead of bones if you have too much vitamin d?

Yeah. But you need to hit a relatively high ng/ml for that to happen.

Glad this thread was bumped. Anyone know if there is any difference as any added benefit in receiving a dose of vitamin D from the sun vs supplementation. Ideally you can replenish the body both ways but to me the sun is more cost effective and the body can automatically take in what is necessary from the vitamin d receptors. Just wondering. Still in the winter thou supplementation is a big benefit.

Glad this thread was bumped. Anyone know if there is any difference as any added benefit in receiving a dose of vitamin D from the sun vs supplementation. Ideally you can replenish the body both ways but to me the sun is more cost effective and the body can automatically take in what is necessary from the vitamin d receptors. Just wondering. Still in the winter thou supplementation is a big benefit.

On the surface one might assume that cholecalciferol is cholecalciferol. However if it were up to me I would opt for SENSIBLE sun exposure for a number of reasons. First, you can't become vitamin D intoxicated through sun exposure(any excess produced from sun exposure is actually destroyed in the skin by the sun itself). Second, there are other byproducts during vitamin d production in the skin that scientists believe may contribute to the apparent health benefits as well. And finally, sun exposure is mood elevating. I'm gearing up for a few months of rain and cloud here in Vancouver.

On the surface one might assume that cholecalciferol is cholecalciferol. However if it were up to me I would opt for SENSIBLE sun exposure for a number of reasons. First, you can't become vitamin D intoxicated through sun exposure(any excess produced from sun exposure is actually destroyed in the skin by the sun itself). Second, there are other byproducts during vitamin d production in the skin that scientists believe may contribute to the apparent health benefits as well. And finally, sun exposure is mood elevating. I'm gearing up for a few months of rain and cloud here in Vancouver.

Is it SUNLIGHT or ultra-violet light? I.e. would tanning in a tanning bed get the same benefits?

EDIT: I'm not a fist-pumping guido, I just live in a climate where sun exposure can be scarce 4+ months per year.

Last edited:
Just make sure the tanning beds use UVB lighting and you're good to go.

someone told me they put vitamin d2 (almost useless) in milk instead of vitamin d3, so does this mean it'd probably be better to seek calcium and vitamin d3 with supplementation or other food products instead?

Even if your milk contains D3 instead of D2, the amounts are almost laughable. In most cases a glass of milk will yield about 200 iu's of Vitamin D. That's a shitload of milk if you want to get 2000 to 4000 iu's per day.

I take 5,000IU's a day. I've been taking that amount daily for months now. Haven't noticed any side effects

Interesting vitamin D infographics Vitamin D

I live above latitude 42 degrees N, so it seems that I should be considering vit. D supplementation. In terms of food I eat oily fish and lots of eggs, so that helps.

I also have free access to a tanning bed, which I have never used before. According to the quick research I just did online, tanning beds emit mostly UV-A radiation which is not what I'm looking for but do you think short (less than 10 minutes) tanning sessions a few times a month would be of further assistance?

If I had access to a proper tanning bed/booth I would forgo supplementation altogether and just use that.

But like you said, the one that you have access to isn't a UVB bed.

Talking about tans, there was a neat article the other day about how sun light exposure might expend life span. I'm not a woman, but figure I'll try to get a responsible about of sun a day - basically avoid being burnt.

"Are you a woman? Do you want to live longer? Then get a tan. "
Michael Eades, M.D. (DrEades) on Twitter

I was told by a health food person that vitamin D via sun takes 48 hours to be available to us, and that if we use soap in the shower it blunts the effects. It doesn't make sense to me, but if it were true it would really bum me out because I get a lot of sun.

I was told by a health food person that vitamin D via sun takes 48 hours to be available to us, and that if we use soap in the shower it blunts the effects. It doesn't make sense to me, but if it were true it would really bum me out because I get a lot of sun.

There's some truth to this. I know a guy from another board who's a naturopath who routinely checks his clients 25(OH)D3 levels. He said that there are two common factors he sees amongst his patients who have optimal levels WITHOUT supplementation:

1) They get regular sun exposure. (DUH!)

2) They don't shower that much(once or twice per week).

have you noticed any benefits?

Nope, I feel the same. Since I've been taking it I've never gotten sick. Im young I have a beautiful diet and get plenty of sun and exercise, I just take it because its good for me. What gives me noticeable benefits is maca root. It gives me energy when I workout, and makes me hornier. Maca root is where its at.

My wife takes 5000 iu a day of D-3 and also has to take thyroid medicine for low thyroid. Is that to much vitamin D? Or would more be better?

Any recommendations on what lamps or lightbulbs would work best at home to meet the bodies needs in this regard?

Back