The All-Encompassing Vitamin D Thread

Vedic

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Got this tid bit from Garrett at the Performance Menu.

Epidemic Influenza And Vitamin D

Quote:
Epidemiology and Infection, known as The Journal of Hygiene in Hope-Simpson's day, recently published our paper. The editor, Professor Norman Noah, knew Dr. Hope-Simpson and helped tremendously with the paper. In the paper, we detailed our theory that vitamin D is Hope-Simpson's long forgotten "seasonal stimulus." We proposed that annual fluctuations in vitamin D levels explain the seasonality of influenza. The periodic seasonal fluctuations in 25-hydroxy-vitamin D levels, which cause recurrent and predictable wintertime vitamin D deficiency, predispose human populations to influenza epidemics. We raised the possibility that influenza is a symptom of vitamin D deficiency in the same way that an unusual form of pneumonia (pneumocystis carinii) is a symptom of AIDS. That is, we theorized that George Bernard Shaw was right when he said, "the characteristic microbe of a disease might be a symptom instead of a cause."

In the paper, we propose that vitamin D explains the following 14 observations:

1. Why the flu predictably occurs in the months following the winter solstice, when vitamin D levels are at their lowest,

2. Why it disappears in the months following the summer solstice,

3. Why influenza is more common in the tropics during the rainy season,

4. Why the cold and rainy weather associated with El Nino Southern Oscillation (ENSO), which drives people indoors and lowers vitamin D blood levels, is associated with influenza,

5. Why the incidence of influenza is inversely correlated with outdoor temperatures,

6. Why children exposed to sunlight are less likely to get colds,

7. Why cod liver oil (which contains vitamin D) reduces the incidence of viral respiratory infections,

8. Why Russian scientists found that vitamin D-producing UVB lamps reduced colds and flu in schoolchildren and factory workers,

9. Why Russian scientists found that volunteers, deliberately infected with a weakened flu virus - first in the summer and then again in the winter - show significantly different clinical courses in the different seasons,

10. Why the elderly who live in countries with high vitamin D consumption, like Norway, are less likely to die in the winter,

11. Why children with vitamin D deficiency and rickets suffer from frequent respiratory infections,

12. Why an observant physician (Rehman), who gave high doses of vitamin D to children who were constantly sick from colds and the flu, found the treated children were suddenly free from infection,

13. Why the elderly are so much more likely to die from heart attacks in the winter rather than in the summer,

14. Why African Americans, with their low vitamin D blood levels, are more likely to die from influenza and pneumonia than Whites are.

Although our paper discusses the possibility that physiological doses of vitamin D (5,000 units a day) may prevent colds and the flu, and that physicians might find pharmacological doses of vitamin D (2,000 units per kilogram of body weight per day for three days) useful in treating some of the one million people who die in the world every year from influenza, we remind readers that it is only a theory. Like all theories, our theory must withstand attempts to be disproved with dispassionately conducted and well-controlled scientific experiments.

Discuss

How different is supplemental VitD from the one you get from sun?

Interesting stuff. Do the examples cited do a good job of taking account of other possible explanations? Just off the top of my head I can think of a couple alternative explanations for most of them. Depending upon the methodology of the studies it could go either way in my mind.

Some interesting correlations, sure.

Vit D has been getting a LOT of good press lately, from everyone from Poliquin to those stupid morning news "health experts."

Up into the wee hours posting about vitamin D, eh Vedic? :icon_cheeWhen I get off shift and get home, I'll be able to add to this.

I agree, Xtrainer---Vitamin D seems like a daily topic. Based on what I've been reading and considering my northern climate, I've upped my intake to 3000IU a day. I even had my physician agree to do a 25(OH)D on me, but I'll have to wait 6 months for it.

Now you tell me.

I've been off all week purging from both ends with the stomach flu...

Good times.

I'm wondering about overdose, actually I was curious about that before this article. At work we routinely fill prescriptions for 50,000 units of vitamin d, which is 50-80 times that of most over-the-counter D3 supplements.

I was under the impression that because vitamin d is fat soluble it is easier to overdose on. I've wanted to go on a 5,000+ unit regime for quite a while but was slightly concerned about that. Maybe it is a good question for a pharmacist, but in all likely-hood vedic would have a better answer.

I'm wondering about overdose, actually I was curious about that before this article. At work we routinely fill prescriptions for 50,000 units of vitamin d, which is 50-80 times that of most over-the-counter D3 supplements.

I was under the impression that because vitamin d is fat soluble it is easier to overdose on. I've wanted to go on a 5,000+ unit regime for quite a while but was slightly concerned about that. Maybe it is a good question for a pharmacist, but in all likely-hood vedic would have a better answer.

From the Merck Manual:

"Because synthesis of 1,25(OH)<sub>2</sub>D (the most active ****bolite of vitamin D) is tightly regulated, vitamin D toxicity usually occurs only if excessive doses (prescription or megavitamin) are taken. Vitamin D 1000 &#956;g (40,000 IU)/day produces toxicity within 1 to 4 mo in infants. In adults, taking 1250 &#956;g (50,000 IU)/day for several months can produce toxicity. "

Up into the wee hours posting about vitamin D, eh Vedic? :icon_cheeWhen I get off shift and get home, I'll be able to add to this.

I agree, Xtrainer---Vitamin D seems like a daily topic. Based on what I've been reading and considering my northern climate, I've upped my intake to 3000IU a day. I even had my physician agree to do a 25(OH)D on me, but I'll have to wait 6 months for it.

I can't help but get a bit concerned about getting my D. I don't supplement with it, beyond what's in my multi, and this time of year in Michigan, if I am outside, I am covered head to toe. I don't supplement D right now, except for 200IU/day from my multi.

UV rays are converted to D3; supplements are usually D3, but I've seen D2 out there, also.

What about light getting through the eye and helping with the production of serotonin? Vitamin D caps won't produce this effect right?

What about light getting through the eye and helping with the production of serotonin? Vitamin D caps won't produce this effect right?

not unless you stick em in your eye (NOT RECOMMENDED)

Completely unrelated as far as the hormones involved.

Sunlight--->Skin--->D3 production
Sunlight--->Eyes--->serotonin production

As far as seasonal affective disorder/depression, though, both D3 and serotonin play active roles.

not unless you stick em in your eye (NOT RECOMMENDED)

*points capules towards sun*
This should work.

Completely unrelated as far as the hormones involved.

Sunlight--->Skin--->D3 production
Sunlight--->Eyes--->serotonin production

As far as seasonal affective disorder/depression, though, both D3 and serotonin play active roles.

Thanks Mike.
edit: Thanks Vedic!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18727936?ordinalpos=&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.SmartSearch&log$=citationsensor

Vitamin D is looking like the next fish oil. Looks like the best whole-foods source is fish as well.

is there a particular brand of vitamin D supplements that are better than others?

Thanks for the info MM. After doing some research as well I've come to the conclusion that there is nearly no possiblity of harm from taking 4,000 units/day. I'm going to try this for a few weeks and see what happens.

Apparently with exposure to sunlight, we can make over the equivalent of 10,000 units in less than an hour, so really when we're getting no sun, taking a few thousand units would be a drop in the bucket.

i live on the coast and am a fulltime student, so im lucky if i see the sun once or twice during the entire stretch of winter... it fuckin sucks and is really depressing. plus i have dark skin so im already low / at-risk for vitamin d deficiency by living in a northern climate. i've been taking 7,000IU's per day on top of my normal diet. can't say i feel much of a difference but i havent got sick yet.

Interesting thread for sure. So, here's a bit of my dumb ass vegan input. Personally, I have not gotten a cold that has lasted more than two days. Also, I have not had the flu in I have no idea how long. That being said, of course vegans get shit because of vitamin D deficiency.

Now, I'm not sure on how long it takes Vit.D deficiency to kick in, but I've been vegan for twelve years now, and never supplemented with anything, let alone Vitamin D. I now, however do take a multi and DHA supp.

So - question, how long does it take for the deficiency to show? Maybe, in my case - it's because I get some sun exposure, but Winter here in Michigan definitely doesn't provide much sun. Not to mention the fact that I'm computer geek and probably don't get as much sun as most people.

I'll be having a physical done in the beginning of 09 with fresh blood work and what not. I'll see if I can get my vitamin D levels checked as well :- ) I'll keep you all posted on the results.

Back