The 2022 Heavies' Awards - Fight of the Year Winner: Jiri Prochazka vs Glover Teixeira at UFC 275

Which was the 2022 Fight of the Year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chimaev/Burns, shame it wasn't a 5 rounder, and I know it wasn't a display of extraordinary tactic or skill, there wasn't a finish too, but nevertheless, definitely the one fight I enjoyed the most this year. Was going crazy throughout the fight.

My favorite part of the Dober/Green fight is that by matchmaking logic, he should be facing Islam next for the belt.

I know it’s not the most popular choice, but I had to show rockhold Vs costa some love. That shit was so wild. What a strange and memorable fight

Yeah I get that. I may mock him for being humble but take his brain away and he is just flesh and bones like the rest of us.

Seriously though, he showed some heart and I loved his interview with Rogan at the end. Kudos to him. Memorable way to exit a storied career.

Rewarched Glover Vs Jiri and I literally was gasping by the end of the 2nd round. I could barely watch, so crazy. Absolutely mental. When MMA is like this, it is literally the best sport in the fucking world.

Damn. Guess no one else thought Gane/Tuivasa was a contender. I can see Prochazka/Glover is gonna run away with this one. Great fight, but sloppy. I almost liked Khamzat/Burns more
I obviously loved the Gane Tuivasa fight and its outcome, but :
-I'm clearly biased :
-Ciryl, while showing heart and insane recovery scared the shit outta me when he nearly got finished, and I don't like thinking about that fight too often. He promised violence to the Paris crowd, and therefore had a much more aggressive gameplan, and he delivered.

But a KO would've ruined his momentum, the event... he's our flagship and took the risk to lose his n°1 contender position for our entertainment (let's be honest, had he fought like usual, the W would've nearly been secured, but maybe to a decision.), which is admirable I guess, but still left a sour taste in my mouth.
Maybe, had it been a title bout, I wouldn't care at all about all that. I long for the day he gets that belt.
And I understand that doesn't change whether the fight was good or bad, it's all about me and my hopes regarding his and French MMA's future.

Last edited:
The thing about "sloppy" fights, particularly at the elite level (of any combat sport) is that they tend to come about because two very highly skilled fighters wind up being relatively evenly matched in the skill department. But they are highly competitive individuals and they want to win so instead of choosing a close, evenly matched technical fight, they engage in a "battle of will" and test their opponents will against their own.

These fights tend to be grueling and physical, which test the fighters' cardio and conditioning, a skill of its own, and they have to "dig deep" to summon the will to throw big shots, or explode to change positions while grappling, even when they are extremely fatigued. That is a test of mental fortitude.

So I understand the critique, but personally I am unabashed in my love for these kind of fights and I choose to appreciate the attributes needed to succeed in the grueling war of attrition and admire the fighters that have the skill to win "pretty" but also have "the dog in them" to win the sloppy sloberknocker type of fights when needed.

Just my $0.02

Great fight choices. I look forward to checking out any I missed and probably rewatching a few tomorrow.

The thing about "sloppy" fights, particularly at the elite level (of any combat sport) is that they tend to come about because two very highly skilled fighters wind up being relatively evenly matched in the skill department. But they are highly competitive individuals and they want to win so instead of choosing a close, evenly matched technical fight, they engage in a "battle of will" and test their opponents will against their own.

These fights tend to be grueling and physical, which test the fighters' cardio and conditioning, a skill of its own, and they have to "dig deep" to summon the will to throw big shots, or explode to change positions while grappling, even when they are extremely fatigued. That is a test of mental fortitude.

So I understand the critique, but personally I am unabashed in my love for these kind of fights and I choose to appreciate the attributes needed to succeed in the grueling war of attrition and admire the fighters that have the skill to win "pretty" but also have "the dog in them" to win the sloppy sloberknocker type of fights when needed.

Just my $0.02

Great fight choices. I look forward to checking out any I missed and probably rewatching a few tomorrow.
Very well said.

Back