The 2023 Heavies' Awards: Submission of the Year - WINNER: GRASSO DEF. SHEVCHENKO!

Aaahhh, the French...submission has always been celebrated for its excellence. There is a California submission by Joe D'Arce, inspired by that same French excellence. It's taught in a Gracie school, and like the best French submissions, it's vintage-dated, so Joe D'Arce's superb...

Which Submission of 2023 set your hair ablaze, shook you down to your very core and had you racing to the nearest BJJ school to learn how to do it?

Abdoul Abdouraguimov def. Rafal Haratyk R5 4:35 via Submission (Kneebar) | Ares FC 11

Jon Jones def. Ciryl Gane R1 2:04 via Submission (Guillotine Choke) |
UFC 285

Alexa Grasso def. Valentina Shevchenko R4 4:34 via Submission (Face Crank) | UFC 285

Louis Glismann def. Melvin van Suijdam R1 4:57 via Submission (Inverted Omoplata) |
Oktagon 43

Olga Rubin def. Claire Guthrie R2 4:23 via Submission (Buggy Choke) | Invicta FC 53

IMHO Jon Jones takes this.
Because not only was for the HW Belt, but it was his comeback after years out, taunting us.
And he made it loo so easy, that the impact is far greater for the UFC, for MMA.

I voted for Alexa, because I've been telling jiu jitsu students for years that anything below the eyes is neck.

Jones because he's the GOAT and it was devastatingly quick and shocking.

(Assuming the fight wasn't fixed because it looked suspect)

As much of a Jones disregarder that I am, that submission was nuts. He almost didn't even get in a fighting stance. He walked directly up to Gane, got the choke and walked off. He made it look so easy that it looked like the fight was poorly fixed.

Louis Glismann for me.

Grasso. Close tie for second would be Rubin and Glisman for me. in fact, I'd say they were both more impressive subs, but the context of Grasso's being a title fight over someone who had never been subbed and was such a dom champ takes the gold. Both KO (Izzy) and Sub of the year for me were as much context as they were impressive as finishes.

Back