Media 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career

It's the difference between sanctioned and the street...If it's allowed then state it. Be a pro or go to bum fights.

Yeah, no shit it's a sanctioned fight.

And in sanctioned fights we have many remedies and serious punishments that we can use to address flagrant fouls like this.

Those punishments can be harsh but don't have to involve going full hysterical, moral outraged mong and completely end a guy's ability to earn a living off of a first offence, even if it is a serious offence.

The reaction to this has been deranged and hysterical, which should be expected from MMA fans. It was a really bad, shitty thing to do and he deserves a lengthy suspension.

But it's a fight. People can snap. The bloodlust to see this guy ruined forever is a bit much.

We have fighters who we all know deliberately cheat in basically every fight, including threatening the vision of their opponents.

To jump from doing absolutely nothing about repeated dangerous fouls vs outright crucifying a guy for a bite seems like nobody has really thought their moral outrage through.
he is doing the right thing by being contrite. and yes they should do this for other types of fouls. but his life ain’t over. he’ll have to take a different path now, that’s all.

Either it's a first episode of batshit insanity, and then I can't begin to imagine how devastated and lost he must be ; or he knew that he wasn't exactly stable, but still tried. No point in blaming him eternally.
Did you see the mark? Ever have a 2 year old bite your finger? If that was an ear it was coming off. Good riddance.

And in sanctioned fights we have many remedies and serious punishments that we can use to address flagrant fouls like this.

Those punishments can be harsh but don't have to involve going full hysterical, moral outraged mong and completely end a guy's ability to earn a living off of a first offence, even if it is a serious offence.
Like sand through the hour glass.

Reactions: HHJ
Mickey Gall took a bite out of Diego i guess you didn't see that one.

gall-bites.jpg
That's a love bite

Either it's a first episode of batshit insanity, and then I can't begin to imagine how devastated and lost he must be ; or he knew that he wasn't exactly stable, but still tried. No point in blaming him eternally.
Nobody said he had to go home...He just can't play here anymore.

Did you see the mark? Ever have a 2 year old bite your finger? If that was an ear it was coming off. Good riddance.
Yeah he's gone. I think that's fair. But I'm not sure it was a premeditated attempt at cannibalism, the guy is probably not suited for high stress environments though. I merely meant that the social media dogpiling is probably a bit too much, but, yeah, that was weird to say the least.

Igor Severino’s life isn’t the same as it was one week ago.

As of now, the 20-year-old ex-UFC fighter doesn’t know if it’ll ever be even similar after he bit opponent Andre Lima during their March 23 fight at UFC on ESPN 53 in Las Vegas.

The highly unusual and flagrant foul disqualified him from the bout, cost him his spot on the UFC roster, and made international headlines far beyond the combat sports bubble.

“It’s been crazy – some crazy days,” Severino told MMA Junkie, through an interpreter, as he spoke on the incident for the first time publicly since it happened. “One day, I was fighting in the best promotion in the world. I was making my dream come true. The next moments, I’m banned from the promotion.”

Severino’s face appeared all over social media as the video went viral. His accounts were flooded with comments and messages, many of them unpleasant.

Severino remained out of the public eye and ear over the past six days until now, as he processed why and how he did what he did. Severino said he still hasn’t figured it all out, and isn’t sure he ever will.

“I come from humble beginnings,” Severino said. “I’ve been working since a very young age. I left my home as a teenager to come over to train and to get here. Then, to see all of this go away and in the way it did, it’s something that is not part of me. It’s not who I am as a person. That’s not who I am as a fighter. I just feel very regretful. It makes me very emotional and sad about it.

“My dream became a nightmare overnight. I’m very regretful to my opponent. I apologize to (Lima), to Dana (White), to the Nevada Athletic Commission, to Sean Shelby, who spoke to me after the fight, to Mick (Maynard) – everyone in the organization – and the fans. Sorry to everyone who was watching that on TV. They didn’t deserve to see that.”

more https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2024...everino-bite-reaction-vs-andre-lima-interview
In remembrance.

Can someone enlighten me ?
I thought about that "I got fucking bit bonus" tattoo. Why are past participles butchered or ignored, replaced by preterites (e.g. I have went...) ? I'm seing it more than usual those days.

Can someone enlighten me ?
I thought about that "I got fucking bit bonus" tattoo. Why are past participles butchered or ignored, replaced by preterites (e.g. I have went...) ? I'm seing it more than usual those days.
Was it me?

Not sure why people are rushing to forgive the guy not even a week after a bite of all things

Personally I don't think he shoud be allowed back in the UFC for several years, if ever, but that's not the end of the world because other promotions like PFL, Bellator, Rizin, ONE FC, etc need talented fighters to put on good fights

Hey mr drama queen, he can still make a living outside of the UFC. You bite a guy this is what you get. He just got cut.

Paul Daley made alot of money in different orgs after he got cut.

Zeverino needs to turn this untasteful incident into something more palatable. This could be a hidden blessing by catapulting him into the world of competitive eating. I hear Soylent Green is looking for a new face for their company.

He completely lost control. Snapped. What made it even more bizarre is he was doing well in the fight. It's like he checked out mid-fight and just went into primal zombie mode.
I didn’t see the fight. Did it appear that he was getting tired?

Back