Terere spotted.. He is mentally ill and homeless

really sad to hear that. he was one of the best ever. hope he gets better.

Awful, doesn't seem likely that he'll be able to turn it around any time soon.

Sad story, Terere is gone and I don't think anyone will save him for himself

That's really, really sad. He was a great talent.

Truly sucks, mental illness is a brutal thing to happen to a person.

really sucks, was a great grappler.

hopefully things start to get better.

someone needs to have him committed so he can get the help he needs, it is sad to see such talent going to waste

holy shit, can someone gimme some background on terere, and wtf happened?

Terere is a great grappler. I forgot how long ago it was but he had an incident on an airplane. It went something like he went up to the emergency escape door and tried opening it or he attacked it. He was eventually restrained.

As far as his grappling accomplishments, I know he is really decorated and I think he has beaten Marcelo Garcia in a grappling match before.

He was one of the best pound for pound grapplers in the sport...

One of my favorite gi fights:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qseZODdoNhw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qseZODdoNhw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Marcelo x Terere

As far as his grappling accomplishments, I know he is really decorated and I think he has beaten Marcelo Garcia in a grappling match before.

Pretty sure he tapped him out with a triangle in the mundials one year.

Terere fought at Super Super Heavy just to fight Pe De Pano. That year Pe De Pano elected to not participate and Terere took silver after losing to Werdum in the finals...

Terere was Marcelo's size...

This story just kills me. Terere seems completely overwhelmed by his issues, like there's no way out. I mean, do we just have to hope for a miracle for the guy?

Unfortunately life is not like the movies, and when people get hit with mental health problems this severe, they remain severe for the rest of their life. You can take some of the edge off them with drugs, but they don't just fix up and move on. At best you get a bit of control and stability.

A truly terrible thing to happen to anyone, not to mention what his family has to go through. Often it's the family that suffers the worst IMHO.

Mental illness coupled with a drug addiction is a vicious combo.

Back