Tepee choke and Triangle without arm across.

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I have a very hard time subbing guys with a triangle if I don't have the arm across. I can do it if I overhook the arm tightly that usually would go across, and then lock it under my arm and gable-grip/s-grip ther bacvk of their head into my inner thigh, right to the side of my groin. This is how Eddie Bravo does it (I think). Should I use this, or should I always go for arm across????

Then for the Tepee. I cannot get the tap man. Maybe if their right arm is on the floor and I can hug it under my left arm while I squeeze my knees, pull in, and s-grip behind the knees. But how can I make this better? Any Tepee experts here?

Maybe Mikey Triangles can help? At least with the Triangle question.

I have a very hard time subbing guys with a triangle if I don't have the arm across. I can do it if I overhook the arm tightly that usually would go across, and then lock it under my arm and gable-grip/s-grip ther bacvk of their head into my inner thigh, right to the side of my groin. This is how Eddie Bravo does it (I think). Should I use this, or should I always go for arm across????

Then for the Tepee. I cannot get the tap man. Maybe if their right arm is on the floor and I can hug it under my left arm while I squeeze my knees, pull in, and s-grip behind the knees. But how can I make this better? Any Tepee experts here?

Maybe Mikey Triangles can help? At least with the Triangle question.

Where is your opponents forehead when you are doing the move. If his forehead is looking into your sternum you need to scoot back a bit. He should be looking into your naval.

As for the arm, Im pretty sure that its supposed to work better when the opponents arm is on the mat as opposed to across the shoulder like the regular triangle so you might have to adjust accordingly. I have long strong legs so I can usually get the tepee no matter how they position their arms, but my friends with thicker legs often dont.

with my triangle I make a b-line for the back of the head. If they arent looking at my belly I never get the tap.

I guess I'm not doing the same thing with the tepee. But, I do have the arm on the mat.

I think you solved it Calibur. I have my hand, leg, placement right, along with his arm placement. I'm just too far under him, and yes, he is looking at my sternum. I guess I need to scoot back more. Thanks brother! Now I have to do what my teacher says, "Do a move 1,000 times before you say it's no good or it doesn't work for you." He literally makes me count my numbers at the end of drilling time. Moves done in rolls don't count towards my thousand.

Anyone else can add too.... :icon_chee

This may be a noob comment. But, if the Tepee is so good, how come I never see ANYone do it. I've seen gogos, twisters, everything, but never Tepees. It seems like it should be used more. It's very simple.

Get a figure four with your legs opposite to what you would have done normally, and s grip around your knees.

Get a figure four with your legs opposite to what you would have done normally, and s grip around your knees.

Uh oh I'm confused now. I thought that both of my toes were supposed to be pointing to the sky. Do u mean (assuming his right arm is on the mat) that my left ankle crosses over my right, and I do my best to get a :semi" figure-four?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xkxTPSHHYeY

Is he doing the figure four you're talking about?

what the fuck is a tepee choke?

An EBravo variation of a triangle when you can't figure-four your legs. Essentially, you're ending up with your legs extended and ankles crossed, which supposedly squeezes his neck and shoulder between your thighs for the choke. I've never tried it since my long legs let me triangle even guys with tree trunk necks, but there's a guy in my gym that swears by it.

When you lack flexibility in your legs like me then the teepee is pretty nice. If I have a partner that is calm I can usually work in a triangle but it takes a lot of time. Usually I just go with the teepee since it is a lot more efficient for me.

Do u mean (assuming his right arm is on the mat) that my left ankle crosses over my right, and I do my best to get a :semi" figure-four?

Yep.

That's how I like to finish when he's got his trapped hand to the mat. Switch teh figure four, reach aroudn your knees, s grip.

what is the lvl of your training partners that you catch them with the "teepee"? are they blues? purples?

what is the lvl of your training partners that you catch them with the "teepee"? are they blues? purples?

I've caught teepees on purples. Really simple. The only reason I DONT do it everytime is because I am trying to perfect my triangle choke. Besides that, I cant think of a good reason not to use it.

The tepee works very well, but it's not so much a choke as a pain submission. It really hurts the trapped shoulder.

I would suggest joining a gym and not learning your BJJ from submissions 101

I would suggest joining a gym and not learning your BJJ from submissions 101

I do have a gym, and I do NOT NOT NOT learn from Submissions101. I just saw the Tepee in an eddie bravo book and thought I'd look to see if it was anywhere on Youtube, then came here to asl the question.

I do have a gym, and I do NOT NOT NOT learn from Submissions101. I just saw the Tepee in an eddie bravo book and thought I'd look to see if it was anywhere on Youtube, then came here to asl the question.

Your teacher should be able to help you with finishing a triangle. Most likely you aren't creating a good enough angle to finish the move. It's not that hard to move someones arm across their neck once you are in a good triangle position.

I can't comment on the tepee since I don't do that move, but would highly recommend learning proper technique on a triangle.

Is it Matering the Rubber guard? I don't remember it.

Back