1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Tepee choke and Triangle without arm across.

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Apr 20, 2008.

1. TheHighlander Green Belt

I'll attest to the effectiveness of this choke after getting caught in it tonight. I don't recall if my arm was outside or not...everything's a bit hazy since I almost went all the way out.

2. Shemhazai Black Belt

I didn't mean that you can't choke someone out with it, but when people apply a good tepee on me, I will often tap from the shoulder pain before the actual choke.

3. Tony Manifold Brown Belt

Saw this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=ehLvVV3ti_Y

Guy triangles form rubber guard, then transitions to a tepee and back to a triangle. All in an MMA fight. He has a voice over explaining what he is doing.

4. Deloitte Blue Belt

Nice video!

5. newerest Purple Belt

big necro bump here,

but the TS was not using his arms correctly. he should be extending his arms and squeezing his elbows together, not pulling them in.

6. Eastside White Belt

Ive been hitting the teepee on a lot of people during training lately.
    The key for me is instead of just using all my strength at one time i kind of go slow and steady so that it increases, im basicaly extending my body as long as i can

7. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

Honestly, the arm isn't critical but it is better this it. I find with the triangle the absolute most important aspect is getting your hips/body at the right angle. The more perpendiculer you are to your opponent the easier it it.

I can tap people with the triangle without bringing the arm all the way across or pulling down on the head if i set it up correctly and have a proper angle to begin with.

8. newerest Purple Belt

I see what you are saying, but if whoever is in a threatened triangled puts his arms around the hips, he can't really be triangled the normal way. he can either get

1) omaplata'ed
    or
    2) kimuara'ed

not many options here if your legs are not log enough to lock in a triangle without the arm across. even with moving my hips perpendicular, sometimes he's just too big. I'll just teepee his ass and be done with it

9. Jinzumkei Rock El Columbian

I actually have pretty short legs, so its more important to create the proper angle. But I'll admit triangle is not my best sub, most of the time I just use it to setup the armlock.

10. Drew Foster Silver Belt

First of all, please let my old ass post die.

2nd, I don't really care, but thanks for the reply. I was interested in 10thP for a few months when I posted this.

I'm not doing tepees anymore, though I did correct the problem.

Gracias.

11. mrpopenfresh Red Belt

A supertriangle.

I made a thread about it yesterday (?) about learning it, and managed to almost pull it off today in advanced grappling, then transitionned to a reverse triangle and time ran out. I think the trick is to really get the leg that's over the shoulder tight to the neck. It's really a power move, and if you try it for more than 5 seconds, let go and transition. It's a total leg killer,, I'll tell you that.

12. newerest Purple Belt

it shouldn't take more than 5 seconds with a proper squeeze. if it is loose, try and change the s-grip to a gable grip. remember that you're not trying to pull him in the with arms, rather squeeze ur elbows together and extend the arms.

with a gable grip they can't get out. with an s-grip they can possibly slide the arm across ur body, allowing you room for the proper angle to complete a triangle