Tepee choke and Triangle without arm across.

Your teacher should be able to help you with finishing a triangle. Most likely you aren't creating a good enough angle to finish the move. It's not that hard to move someones arm across their neck once you are in a good triangle position.

I can't comment on the tepee since I don't do that move, but would highly recommend learning proper technique on a triangle.

Some times a triangle is just hard for some people. I know it well, can teach it well but I rarely tap guys with it. My legs are just too short and thick. Unless he is really skinny in the neck and shoulders, I don't even bother. Right now I am working on variations that might work better.

However, I agree about the angle. 90% of the time I see a guy having problems with the triangle it is the angle. Unless you have long legs and real good flexability you won't be able to get the leg across properlt unless you create a good angle.

Your teacher should be able to help you with finishing a triangle. Most likely you aren't creating a good enough angle to finish the move. It's not that hard to move someones arm across their neck once you are in a good triangle position.

I can't comment on the tepee since I don't do that move, but would highly recommend learning proper technique on a triangle.

I often roll with a couple of really big powerlifters, and I have fairly powerful legs myself. Usually I can get a triangle, but on a really broad-shouldered behemoth, especially if he won't let me create the optimal angle for the triangle, the tepee can be very useful.

It's just not realistic to think that anyone with the right training can close a triangle on any opponent. People are built differently.

It's just not realistic to think that anyone with the right training can close a triangle on any opponent. People are built differently.

Of course there are no absolutes in anything. IMHO people (usually new people) are too quick to say they can't do moves because of their body type. Most people can do triangles on most opponents, if done correctly. That is why I recommended the guy ask his teacher, who can see first hand if it is a technique issue.

Of course there are no absolutes in anything. IMHO people (usually new people) are too quick to say they can't do moves because of their body type. Most people can do triangles on most opponents, if done correctly. That is why I recommended the guy ask his teacher, who can see first hand if it is a technique issue.

Definitely, but a technique like the tepee is still good to know if the triangle should fail for some reason (especially against big guys in the absolute division).

Of course it isn't hard to move their arm across. I wanna know if I can finish without moving the arm across! Trust me, I can angle myself fine. I have no problems. I'm asking a question and so far everyone has been helpful. I know proper triangle technique. I didn't post to be told to "work on my technique" and "find a real instructor" and "work your angles better first" and "move their arm across". I didn't ask for any of that.l

I asked two things:

A- How can I finish a triangle WITHOUT the arm across and

B- Advice for the Tepee choke.

If you don't want to help me with those questions I don't need any advice from you.

P.S. Sorry for acting like an asshole. I just think you think I'm some poser, with no teacher, that learns from sub101. WRONG to all three assumptions!

If I have you figured wrong. Then sorry man. I'm sure you're just trying to help. :D

Trust me I have a GREAT triangle. Well solid triangle. Black Belts have GREAT triangles. I'm just looking for variations if I can't get the arm across, and also transitions to the tepee. 9/10 times I pursue and lock up a normal/arm across/ angular triangle with my hips out to the side. And I have asked my teach. It isn't a technique issue.

Definitely, but a technique like the tepee is still good to know if the triangle should fail for some reason (especially against big guys in the absolute division).

EXACTLY! That's why I posted. Thanks man.

P.S. Sorry for acting like an asshole. I just think you think I'm some poser, with no teacher, that learns from sub101. WRONG to all three assumptions!

If I have you figured wrong. Then sorry man. I'm sure you're just trying to help. :D

I'm an asshole who is just trying to help :icon_twis

It's a legit finish, try the reverse triangle, if you can't lock that then use the teepee as last resort.

So if they try to posture out of the reverse triasngle, then go to tepee?

Well sometimes the guy is so thick, or your legs are so short then even the reverse triangle won't lock in. Then go for the teepee.

The traingle is one of my favorite go to moves. I like switching from regular to inverted and using the glover finish to get the tap.

hug your knees using the s grip and extend your arms as straight and away from your body as possible. Sometimes it takes me a min to get the tap and I don't feel like I 'm accomplishing much, but the color of your opponents face is a good indicator to how affective you're exicuting the technique.

This move is good if your opponent has very broad shoulders and a big ass gorrilla neck.

The tepee works very well, but it's not so much a choke as a pain submission. It really hurts the trapped shoulder.

No, its a blood choke. You will pass out or tap out if done correctly.

And eddie bravo didn't invent it. Maybe he popularized the S-grip behind the legs, but this basic technique is in Judo. There is even an armless version where put your fists under their chin and squeeze your knees together.

As for improving your technique on this, I would say to just keep drilling it.

Wow! I must have been absent on the day our school learned that one.

I'll have to give that one a try...

Back