Tell me about living in the LA area

Satsui Ryu

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So me and the wife have decided cost of living in the bay area has gone way beyond worth it and we will eventually need to leave. We are not quite ready to leave California though so right now we are thinking of going closer to Sacramento or the LA area. I'm leaning towards LA since Sac's job market is pretty meh. The LA area seems to be somewhat cheaper than the bay and has a decent job market. Just wanted to see what the quality of life is down there and is it really reasonably affordable.

Agree about it becoming insane to live out here in The Bay
Can I sleep on your couch once you get settled in LA?

Fuck the dodgers though

Agree about it becoming insane to live out here in The Bay
Can I sleep on your couch once you get settled in LA?

Fuck the dodgers though

When we saw apartments starting at $2k a month in ghetto ass Hayward we decided it's really gotten out of hand.

So me and the wife have decided cost of living in the bay area has gone way beyond worth it and we will eventually need to leave. We are not quite ready to leave California though so right now we are thinking of going closer to Sacramento or the LA area. I'm leaning towards LA since Sac's job market is pretty meh. The LA area seems to be somewhat cheaper than the bay and has a decent job market. Just wanted to see what the quality of life is down there and is it really reasonably affordable.

what about san diego? i think san diego is much nicer than l.a. and it isn't very far down the pike tbh, it's almost like a suburb of l.a. imo.

what about san diego? i think san diego is much nicer than l.a. and it isn't very far down the pike tbh, it's almost like a suburb of l.a. imo.

That could be an option. Were very early in this whole process so we having looked into it too much yet. We started with LA since its so massive and just had a lot of options for work and living.

That could be an option. Were very early in this whole process so we having looked into it too much yet. We started with LA since its so massive and just had a lot of options for work and living.

yeah, i think it would make for a smoother transition. plus, i know you are down on the cost of living there, but i bet you are really going to miss the bay area. unless you are living in oakland...lol.

yeah, i think it would make for a smoother transition. plus, i know you are down on the cost of living there, but i bet you are really going to miss the bay area. unless you are living in oakland...lol.

There might be a time where I come back, but I can't think of anything the bay has that LA doesnt. And from my few visits down there I overall really like the area except for the traffic part. And actually the whole cost of living thing makes it really hard to enjoy what the area has to offer.

such a huge area just depends on where you wanna go. LA, OC, Burbank, Ventura counties all run together at certain pts. I"d personally go a lil inland to get cheaper housing and less traffic.

Then again i currently live in 29 Palms, so Baldwin Park isn't looking to bad hahaa

We would likely end up in OC. But I'm kind of looking to get back into the defense industry so I'm looking into what's close to those companies.

awesome, lots of Defense in SD too (Spawar, Grumman, etc..). Good luck man

Having grown up and lived most of my adult life there, I may be a little biased but I recommend it. The number one complaint you will hear from people is that is that the cost of living is too high. With L.A. county being very sprawled out it's all relative. If you are willing to drive a little longer to get to work you will find very reasonable rentals in the valley and other parts of L.A. county.

When we saw apartments starting at $2k a month in ghetto ass Hayward we decided it's really gotten out of hand.

2k/month for an apartment in hayward? you must have been in one of the nicest areas lol.

2k/month for an apartment in hayward? you must have been in one of the nicest areas lol.

Hehe this is what Trulia said. I know there are some serious janky places there, but I figured we could get a nice place on the cheap there. Still wasn't happening.

Armenians get mistaken for Cholos all the time down here.

There are a lot of smaller cities that are pretty nice. My whole family lives down there and cost of living doesn't seem too high. I have family in town like La Palma, Buena Park, and Cypress. From what I can tell they are pretty nice.

Move to San diego instead bro, it's nicer

I am looking at moving back to the bay area and although buying a house in Palo Alto or Menlo Park is probably not going to happen (thanks Facebook IPO), I found that San Carlos and Belmont had reasonable house prices.

good neighborhoods in SoCal are even more expensive. Instead of buying down here, why dont you buy in a bad area up there and rent it out, if the rent seem to be going up. The bad areas up there must be gentrifying. Best jump on the bandwagon now.

Back