Television series have ruined movies for me.

I'm the opposite. I hate series. I want to get to the end of things in two hours.

* The only exception was "Spartacus: Blood and Sand", 2010.
Was a great show til the main actor got cancer

I think that TV/episodic content has a much higher potential than films. True Detective's first (and arguably third) season took the potentially-supernatural crime drama '90s film and turned it into an incredible tale. Something you just couldn't swing in 90 minutes.

Breaking Bad couldn't be done in 120 minutes.

That said, the big budgets can buy much better acting and especially cinematography than television budgets.

Cinematography is getting much easier and cheaper because of advances in technology. Movies tend to go over the top and depend too much on special effects. I suspect there are many very capable actors and actresses that don't get a chance because major movie studios want the big names to draw audiences and the movies they are in can suck badly. Having the same people in different roles in different movies makes it more difficult for me to get immersed in the plot. How many times can you watch Will Ferrell? I find it much easier to get into the plot with lesser known actors. Lesser know actors mean less of the budget goes into paying actors and allows for more characters than movies where a third of the budget goes to a couple of actors.

Many movies are just re-makes of old movies and often poorly done. The series give an opportunity to develop more plot lines.

After watching television series on platforms like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Amazon and Netflix, Movies just don't seem right. The average 90 minute movie is too short to really develop the characters and multiple plot lines to hold my interest. The series have raised my expectations. It also helps to be able to watch entire seasons now in a day or two instead of week to week.

It has completely ruined commercial television.

I'm retired so I can watch a season that lasts about 9 hours. Maybe it's different for others.
You just need to watch better movies. How many of these have you watched?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sight_&_Sound_Greatest_Films_of_All_Time_2012

After watching television series on platforms like HBO, Showtime, Starz, Amazon and Netflix, Movies just don't seem right. The average 90 minute movie is too short to really develop the characters and multiple plot lines to hold my interest. The series have raised my expectations. It also helps to be able to watch entire seasons now in a day or two instead of week to week.

It has completely ruined commercial television.

I'm retired so I can watch a season that lasts about 9 hours. Maybe it's different for others.

It's moreso the quality of the movies these days.

Movies have ruined television series for me. It becomes more noticeable how much filler is in them and how it takes forever to get to the action.

I noticed on Netflix there's a few films being made that are only 1 hour 15-20 runtime...

Attention spans are shortening. People can't sit through movies anymore. Such a shame. We're going through a change of entertainment and it's being dictated by streaming services.

TV before the 2000s was pretty damn terrible outside of a few exceptions. That started changing in the 2000s. Now there are lots of great shows. On the flip side, I don’t know if I could list 10 movies in the last decade that were great movies.

I noticed on Netflix there's a few films being made that are only 1 hour 15-20 runtime...

Attention spans are shortening. People can't sit through movies anymore. Such a shame. We're going through a change of entertainment and it's being dictated by streaming services.
That doesn’t really make sense though. You’re saying it’s because of shortening attention span but the demand has been for more long bingeworthy shows

That doesn’t really make sense though. You’re saying it’s because of shortening attention span but the demand has been for more long bingeworthy shows

I think it is both things at the same time.

For me, I've come expect the depth of plot of a 8-12 episode season, as well as to have it broken down into increments of 60 minutes or less.

Even when I binge a series, I don't really binge it continuously. I'll watch an episode, do some other shit for a while, watch another episode etc.

I really have to make myself sit down to watch an entire full length film these days.

Shows that end after less than an hour and you're able to go away and come back to them.

I've seen about a third of those. Most of them are old movies. Many of them are even older than I am. There are very few on the list that I thought were great or even good. I'm not into foreign language films with captions or black and white films. It's difficult for me to put myself into those.

That's your own lookout of course but it means your more likely to end up seeing more of the kind of cinema you say you dislike from mainstream Hollywood.

The reality is that cinema post millennium has become increasingly divided between mainstream Hollywood which has become more risk adverse and family focused and the indie/arthouse scene(a lot of which is outside the US/UK) which is a good deal more ambitious. If your searching for a modern Kurbick, Coppola, Marty, Cassavetes etc you won't find many examples getting mainstream Hollywood success(maybe Paul Thomas Anderson), you'll be much more likely to find them in that scene.

Honestly I tend to think theres still far more creativity and talent there than there is in the serial format, with the latter production values might have increased and acting talent improved somewhat but honestly I find a lot of it is window dressing for quite formulaic productions that depend too much on cliff-hanger plots.

Last edited:
I still prefer movies, I'd rather watch a movie every night rather than TV series.

There are maybe a handful of TV shows that I would consider close to my favorite movies

Miami Vice
Twin Peaks OG
Millenium
True Dick 1
That's pretty much it

Shows that end after less than an hour and you're able to go away and come back to them.

Using streaming services or cable, you can stop at any point and come back to them. I binge watched Bosch on Amazon season by season. A season is about 8 hours long with 10 episodes and it held my interest very well.

So only super hero movies we are talking about? and maybe a Avatar and Terminator sprinkled here and there.

Lol avatar doesnt even have a sequel mate your ridiculous theres plenty of other examples you could have used.

Both seasons of Dark are better than any movie ive seen in years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back