Teenage bluebelt trying repeatedly to berimbolo a blackbelt

Maybe, but we saw this same sort of wave of interest with the deep half not long ago, too. And then the 50/50. I think in retrospect the berimbolo will play out the same way. I think it might be a little overrated, because it gets a LOT of attention. I have no problem with that though, in fact I think its great, its part of the sport evolving.

Well, when something hits the scene and people haven't seen it there's a bit of an arms race because if you can come up with something that no one's seen, maybe you can win some big matches with it. But that doesn't mean that the hot new things are not good, it just means that they're being developed rapidly. People still use deep half and the 50/50, it's just not that big of a deal because everybody knows about it. X guard was the same way, and now everyone uses it (or at least everyone teaches it, and many use it). Overrated, underrated, new ideas like the berimbolo are being tested to figure out how good they really are. In a few years everyone will know and use it, people will start learning it regularly at blue belt, and some guys will get really good at it and use it a lot just like some guys get really good at spider or RDLR or whatever and dominate people with it. Yes, BJJ is pretty trendy in terms of what people spend time on (typically whatever the best 2-3 guys in the world are using), but usually new positions that stand the test of time just get integrated along with everything else.

I tap to leg locks all the time because my leg lock defense sucks. I developed bad habits as a white belt that I am trying to kick. The only way I am going to fix these is to getting leg locked over and over until I clean up some sloppy foot placement.

This.

I'm not sure what people here who are discouraging these leg locks would prefer. I for one don't want to start learning toe holds and kneebars at brown belt and then competing against people who have been refining their technique at them for 6-8 years.

At our school, kneebars, toe holds, calf slicers are all in-bounds as long as you've been around long enough to know what's going on (usually 2 stripe+ white belts). I'm just a lowly blue belt, but I'm always conscious of where my feet are.

I don't get this crazy BJJ groupthink regarding leg attacks. It's so bizarre to me.

Yeah, the blue belt I mentioned is well over 6' tall. If he doesn't get the tap, he gets the guard break. The only workable defenses I know of involve opening the guard, and his timing for the pass off of the guard break is very good. Like your TP, he has excellent posture and good hip control.

The person I originally learned it from was my instructor Mark Stables (also lanky and 6'2"), a Marcus Soares black belt. Amassa p

i think it's absolutely fine. you can give him some pointers and help him out. but he's just working on developing his game.

Back