Teenage bluebelt trying repeatedly to berimbolo a blackbelt

Utter nonsense. You've swallowed the propaganda.

If you have a skillset that others can't defend and you fall back on it when your other moves aren't working.... That is called being every grappler ever.

They're only desperation moves because they're a trump card to the hobbled and crippled grapplers that mindless adherence to IBJJF rule sets produces.

If a blue belt goes for a leg lock on me because I'm smashing him, I counter it and go back to smashing him. This is because I don't dismiss them as cheap and neglect them like the unloved stepchildren of BJJ. On the other hand, when I catch much better grapplers than me with leg locks that is on them, not me, for having a gaping hole in their game.

No different than someone who just doesn't know how to defend the brabo/guillotine/anaconda series. It doesn't make them cheap, it means they should work on their head-and-arm.

I think I didn't say what I meant clearly enough. I think leglocks are fine, and I'm OK at them. But it's true most people don't work them much and don't defend them well (esp. in bjj) and I would rather do something more challenging, work for sweeps and chokes, etc. Definitely it is a legit technique, and I don't in any way begrudge the TS for using it on that kid. I was just kind of echoing what someone else said that he must have been in trouble for myself, i.e. I usually do it if I'm in trouble. It's not my go to by any means.

Here is my honest read on the situation,

I read this as black belt who thought he was in for a casual roll repeatedly tapping a blue belt trying his go-to game with illegal techniques after it was more of a challenge than anticipated. After you get knocked off your base you think, "oh your going to go for a berimbolo!? Fine, ill see how you like a knee bar then." You slightly disagree with his game, because like many black belts, probably only first learned the berimbolo at purple/higher belt and think that others need to learn it in the same order.

The tough young blue belt represents something greater than what happened in a single isolated roll. It bothers you more than any other unexpectedly tough roll because of what he represents. He represents a mentality that is out there and but only partially understand. On many levels, you watch other competent grapplers try and kneebar and toe hold great berimbolo guys and know that those techniques would have likely not worked in a few more years when he learns to protect his feet better.

When we have to actually "try" when we expected to do close to whatever we wanted, this highlights the presence our ego is undermining long term progress.

For starters, I think its common for upper belts not to respect lower belts skill and threat they could pose on the mats. Look at many old school guys attitudes towards lower belts. I KNOW there are blue belts and purple belts that could beat me in a competition setting. Most don't - but I know they are out there and occasionally I run into them. I respect each one I roll with and if there is any guidance that my experience can offer them, I will while all the while recognizing in a few years they could surpass my Jiu-Jitsu knowledge and ability. This was a lesson I learned early watching a dorky looking 15 year old kid with braces giving some of my toughest training partners a hard time. Now everybody knows him - but nobody did at the time.

My suggestion is, instead of being competitive and slightly adversarial with this blue belt, is to learn from him instead of looking for sympathy against a 1 dimensional blue belt being for being one dimensional. He has something to teach you and I. Try going into his DLR guard and see if you can prevent him from knocking you off your base without resulting to leg attacks. Try letting him recover if you step over a leg and get in tight. This guy might have only 3-4 years experience, but he probably has 2 years of obsessive compulsive berimbolo knowledge behind him. Somebody who thinks like this kid - but with more experience - could be sitting across from you at your next tournament.

More importantly, share with him what you have to offer about a more old school mentality. If he melds the two together, perhaps instead of the dorky young kid with braces, he will turn into a Liera Jr. with the benefit of your experience.

Word. And truth. Clearly the TS was annoyed. Annoyed enough to make a thread. The bluebelt trained exactly as he should. Exactly as I would when learning a new technique. Repetition until mastery.

To the TS, I say keep leglocking him. I'm going to bet within 6 months, it won't work anymore and you'll have to deal with a much more dangerous berimbolo, now devoid of leg weaknesses.

I can't think of a better way for a Jiu Jitsu student to learn about leg submissions.

I'm surprised by the negative reactions but I guess I shouldn't be.

Am I the only person here who thinks it's perfectly fine to toe hold and kneebar a blue belt? When I go de la riva on my instructor, his go-to counter every time is a rolling calf slicer, and I'm fine with it.

- I agree with and DaveB
I've been kneebared , and bot of my legs still working just fine.

I can't think of a better way for a Jiu Jitsu student to learn about leg submissions.

I'm surprised by the negative reactions but I guess I shouldn't be.

- No, you should open a thread about spazzers.

How many serious injuries have occurred from knee bars? Your hamstrings are so strong that it's not a submission that comes on super fast, you've got time.

you were damn right

all these littles punks with their hip hop music, berimbolo and video games they should find a job instead

It is not the issues of possible injuries.
It is like taking a gun to a knife fight.
It is like a pro using elbows against an amateur that does not compete with elbows strikes.
I am sure there are ways to counter the berimbolo that does not require you to use techniques that are illegal at his bel level.

It is like a pro using elbows against an amateur that does not compete with elbows strikes.
I am sure there are ways to counter the berimbolo that does not require you to use techniques that are illegal at his bel level.

^another guy that didn't bother to read the thread before posting. This was already covered.

^another guy that didn't bother to read the thread before posting. This was already covered.

Pretty sure I posted at the beginning.
I was responding to someone saying knee bar are safe.
Look, you are the bb and you hate the new generation coming up with that berimbolo to the back take. You do not understand why he kept going at it for ten minutes.
He is one dimensional player and he thinks he is going to win the min dials that way.
Congrats you proved him wrong.
Ps. If you can leg lock him then his berimbolo is not that great at the moment. But it will improve.

as far as im concerned what the TS did is fine, assuming those kinds of subs are ok during practice in that particular gym. if someone is leaving those kinds of openings while doing a move than it is irresponsible of the upper belt NOT to sub him. he is a blue belt and old enough that he should be willing to ask for tips if something isn't working for him.

Lol at people whining about TS leglocking a blue belt.

IBJJF rules =/= BJJ

From what the OP has said his gym doesn't seem to have an issue with leglocks.

Pretty sure I posted at the beginning.
I was responding to someone saying knee bar are safe.
Look, you are the bb and you hate the new generation coming up with that berimbolo to the back take. You do not understand why he kept going at it for ten minutes.
He is one dimensional player and he thinks he is going to win the min dials that way.
Congrats you proved him wrong.
Ps. If you can leg lock him then his berimbolo is not that great at the moment. But it will improve.

Where in this thread did I say any of those things? I never said he is one dimensional nor that I "hate" anyone. That's just stupid. I use the berimbolo myself. No one proved anything. You guys saying this are assuming everything, then responding to a huge assumption. Trumpet Dan writes an entire page of text that was totally irrelevant to what I originally said FFS.

And here I am in an internet argument. WTF was I thinking even posting in the first place. LOL.

^ That's f12 for you. Sometimes this forum is so judgemental it is nauseating.

Maybe he just picked something that night and said "this is what I'm personally gonna practice tonight in rolling". Sometimes I do that in boxing, kickboxing and grappling. "Ok, this round I'm really gonna focus on making my side kick work". Something like that as a personal development thing.

And on the leg lock thing, I don't see what the problem would be. At my club, if someone is leaving you an opening all the time, attack it and attack it legitimately. Otherwise how will they ever know the whole is there? It's not you being a dick, it's helping someone realize what they are doing wrong and go "man, he really hit me a lot here? Why?" and then the training partner going "I had a lot of success with X when you did Y, so lets work on fixing Y".

^ The problem is, once again, sport rules defining the art.

BJJ is getting more and more judo-like every day.

At my club, if someone is leaving you an opening all the time, attack it and attack it legitimately.

That's the thing, it all depends on the gym. I like to train all kinds of leglocks, but if I'm aware that some gyms frown on using them at lower belt levels. It's kind of hard to say without knowing more about the training environment.

Back